A Jerk?

cejs

So I got a Did Not Find for one of my caches:

hey, could u have picked a more painful place to hide this? jerk.

going back to find it when gps starts working again.

This hide is actually a really easy one, just it just happens to have a lot of buckthorn if you approach from wrong direction, which is not shortest way in.

I was somewhat amused by his post. What kind of similar posts have others had?

This hide is actually a really easy one, just it just happens to have a lot of buckthorn if you approach from wrong direction, which is not shortest way in.

He actually included the word "jerk" in his log?

Cacher is a newbie. Newbie with attitude, but still a newbie, has not learned that civility and courtesy amongst caching bretheren is de rigueur. Not only will he learn that it is expected but it can be demanded. Makes for a nicer game.

I have a dear friend who calls me a ^&*( jerk all the time, but he means it in the most genuine way.

I know we all have bad days, but wow, this person's logs for their other finds aren't even nice.

Without knowing anything of the person, strictly from the online logs alone, I'd guess the person is probably male and a teenager.

I wonder if that is accurate, or I should hang on to my daytime job and not apply to be a profiler. Probably the latter :)

Hope he knows what to do with the geocoin by now.

oh well. took a geocoin... but i'm not quite sure what i'm supposed to do with it.

We recently had a 10K plus cacher called a crude euphemism for a rectum in a cache note after he had responded to a new cachers request for critique of his first cache. The guy had made a total cluster of the placement and the experienced cacher was very constructive and gentle in his note. Later, turns out the CO is 11 and used Google earth for the placement(in a hole next to a pile of broken glass and other trash) :blink:

Not sure why the language was allowed to stand...

I know we all have bad days, but wow, this person's logs for their other finds aren't even nice.

Without knowing anything of the person, strictly from the online logs alone, I'd guess the person is probably male and a teenager.

I wonder if that is accurate, or I should hang on to my daytime job and not apply to be a profiler. Probably the latter :)

oh well. took a geocoin... but i'm not quite sure what i'm supposed to do with it.

Exactly what I was thinking. Very immature and almost apathetic. I would wager he gets bored before the 4th of July and moves on to awkward conversations with girls.

Exactly what I was thinking. Very immature and almost apathetic. I would wager he gets bored before the 4th of July and moves on to awkward conversations with girls.

I don't know any males teenage or not that use the word "jerk". My wife uses it and ladies (67) that I work with use it and before you ask no they are not taljking about me when they use it

Sometimes you have to wonder "what makes people tick". But yet looking at a log such as that I would not want to figure out what makes that cacher tick. As the saying goes "You can satisfy some of the people all the time & but you cant satisfy all the people some of the time."

Here is another log where the finder calls the CO a jerk. But it is a pretty funny log, obviously in jest.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=dd40e16c-dca3-43e1-ac70-6e05487979b9

That is the kind of log requested on the cache page.

I stand corrected. this is obviously a male comedien. This has got to be the funniest log that I have ever read

I thought the cache write-up is pretty amusing, too. The CO pokes a lot of fun. A different situation than for the cache in the original post, though.

Sometimes you have to wonder "what makes people tick". But yet looking at a log such as that I would not want to figure out what makes that cacher tick. As the saying goes "You can satisfy some of the people all the time & but you cant satisfy all the people some of the time."

If he wasn't satisfied, he wouldn't have stated he's returning. I know a guy like this. Some people are just like that.

This activity is changing, and probably not for the better. With the ability to hunt caches with a smartphone comes a lot of young, immature people who don't understand the point of geocaching. Hence the proliferation of "parking lot" caches, caches with no real value to offer other than "I hid it and you found it". I love doing this because of the places it takes me to, the things I wouldn't have seen otherwise. Sadly, interesting places for caches isn't the trend. I doubt if this kid had ever experienced thorns before.

I just noticed that you are in my neck of the woods. Sorry to hear about this. I agree that the times they are a' changing.

His other logs:

• yep.
  • um... yeah.
  • found it before we even got out of the car.
  • yep.
  • second smallest geocache i've seen yet. (log for a very nice history cache)
  • not sure how the name relates, but what ever.
  • easy bo cheesy.
  • quick and easy. lots of ppl gave us weird looks as they jogged down the path, oh well. took a geocoin... but i'm not quite sure what i'm supposed to do with it.

Hey, The Jerk was a funny movie! I love Steve Martin.

In all seriousness, I hope this cacher finds a way to learn geocaching ettiquette, and I REALLY hope he/she finds out how to log and move that poor geocoin. He / she is a good example of why some folks need geocaching mentors when they first begin caching :(

Glad that the CO / OP has a lighthearted attitude about this.

Sometimes it's hard to tell people's intentions in messages such as this. I know I've rewritten stuff that I thought were funny, but then rereading it, realized that it could be meant as insulting. I started off a log that I had a lot of trouble getting to (but a lot of fun at the same time) by calling him a dirtbag. It was meant in a jesting way, but if you're not in that frame of mind, you could take it as an insult.

Could the logger have meant it in jest, but it's just coming off poorly due to not knowing the person's intentions?

That's how I would have taken it if I had gotten something like that.

I emailed the cacher and explained what to do with the geocoin.

Did you tell him what he is suppose to do with it or what he should do with it? I suggest the latter.

After reading their logs, it ain't a guy. It's a girl.

How did you arrive that this conclusion? I read all the logs too, and didn't pick up on that.

This activity is changing, and probably not for the better. With the ability to hunt caches with a smartphone comes a lot of young, immature people who don't understand the point of geocaching. Hence the proliferation of "parking lot" caches, caches with no real value to offer other than "I hid it and you found it". I love doing this because of the places it takes me to, the things I wouldn't have seen otherwise. Sadly, interesting places for caches isn't the trend. I doubt if this kid had ever experienced thorns before.

I see as many new cachers hiding caches in lamp posts and other normal spots as I do the old ones, at least around here that I see. The older ones usually know about private property better and maybe doing a better job making it muggle proof, but after that....I do not think new folks do worse than the established guard. Some of them make very good hides because they want to impress early.

as far the topic goes. I probably have made logs which insulted the owner without me knowing it, but certainly never intentionally calling someone a jerk....unless its a good friend and said in jest. Personally I would ask for them to edit or I would delete it. If they kept up the pattern of insulting in logs, I would report them.

Edited by lamoracke
You do too understand.
I don't. Am I supposed to write an essay on how it was "ooh such a GREAT cache and ahhhh what a great LOCATION and ohhhhhh the HISTORY it's so AMAZING!" I've seen logs like that on history caches, but I log them like any other cache.

You do too. Nowhere did I, or anybody else, say that you need to write an essay, and you danged well know that. The sarcasm you used in the quoted post does not flatter you, by the way.

What I was saying, is that generally, caches that bring you to a cool historical site tend to inspire logs that are a little more praiseworthy, hence, I was surprised by the log that the poster in question wrote.

Oh, great. They took someones geocoin. Mark it missing...it will never be seen again. :(

That is unfair and slanderous.

At very least premature... they seem to have properly retrieved a TB... and still have it, intending to take it elsewhere.

I think they will sort it out for the coin in time, or become collectors... like so many.

My first reaction to the term 'jerk' was that it was a textual sound effect. The result of pulling a thorn or two perhaps.

Doug 7rxc