Charity Travel Bug

Nived87

I'm thinking about releasing a TB to raise money for a charity (probably the Humane Society of the US). I was wondering if other cachers thought it was a good idea. Is this kind of thing frowned upon?

Here's how it will work:

I'll make a small donation to get things started. Then I'll release the bug (I'm trying to find an animal related traveler). Cachers who log the bug will be encouraged (but not required) to make a donation via the charity's website in any amount they wish. They can then post a note or send me an email with the details of their donation and I'll keep a running total of how much the TB has raised. Of course, if you just want to move the bug along without making a donation that's fine too.

Any thoughts?

Hi Nived,

I was thinking of just such a fund raising travel bug & more. This for an orphan project in Namibia.

I have not figured it out yet, but here are some ideas:

* Releasing a few nice coins to attend cachers to the project and maybe make a donation.

* Have the orphans release their own handcrafted travel bugs and follow them travelling the world as a school project, and at the same time make people aware of the project.

* They also run a modest campsite, Camp Ndurukoro. Profits go to the project. Maybe establish a cache there.

* Releasing a hundred pathtags for promotion of the campsite / the project.

Regards, John

Edited by Eartha
link removed by moderator