Virtual Caches.... again... new perspective

Bennu

I truly have tried to stay out of the discussion of virtual caches and their virtues or lack thereof. However, as an active cacher who has injured a knee (caching no less) I am now in an immobilizer and still want to go caching. Luckily, there are enough one star caches and virtuals in my area to keep me busy for awhile (been wearing this thing two weeks now, and by the time I have surgery and recover, it will be over 6 more weeks)... but I am disappointed that others cannot place virtuals for those of us who cannot bushwhack at most caches, heck, even some one stars I attempted I had to wobble away from, and in fact found myself face down in the brush when my leg got caught on a vine this morning. Please reconsider the virtue of virtual caches, they may not enhance the 5 star cacher, but they certainly make the sport somewhat handicap accessible whether it is a temporary handicap or a permanent one.

While I would hate to see an over abundance of virtuals I have found probably 90 percent of the few I've done to be very informative. I've gotten to obscure places I never would have visited otherwise. I've learned some local history and generally had a good time. I can see that for disabled or those less mobile it is a good way for them to stay involved in the hobby. I can think of some locations nearby that would make excellent virtuals. Perhaps some guidelines about what makes a good virtual cache??? My feeling is that the diehards can ignore virtuals if they choose, but they would still be available for those that have few other options.

quote:
Originally posted by Bennu:

I truly have tried to stay out of the discussion of virtual caches and their virtues or lack thereof. However, as an active cacher who has injured a knee (caching no less) I am now in an immobilizer and still want to go caching. Luckily, there are enough one star caches and virtuals in my area to keep me busy for awhile (been wearing this thing two weeks now, and by the time I have surgery and recover, it will be over 6 more weeks)... but I am disappointed that others cannot place virtuals for those of us who cannot bushwhack at most caches, heck, even some one stars I attempted I had to wobble away from, and in fact found myself face down in the brush when my leg got caught on a vine this morning. Please reconsider the virtue of virtual caches, they may not enhance the 5 star cacher, but they certainly make the sport somewhat handicap accessible whether it is a temporary handicap or a permanent one.

As someone with a disability that has me carrying a Liquid O2 tank around with me and limits my distance walked to very short distances I find that while virtuals are an easy find I enjoy a physical cache. Urban caches are what I am limited to at the moment. Given the choice between a Virt and a Micro next to a Plaque I will go for the Micro.

Bennu try some of the physical caches in the city. Many of them are a easy find for healthy folks but can be a fun challange for those of us with limited movement

Let me know if I can help

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Did it work?

No

However, I've heard that there is a plan in the works for virtuals. TPTB are still a ways away from getting the code working. They will make an announcement when they feel they are close . I've also heard that it is at least one and probably several months away (like the new maps).

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness

quote:
As someone with a disability that has me carrying a Liquid O2 tank around with me and limits my distance walked to very short distances I find that while virtuals are an easy find I enjoy a physical cache. Urban caches are what I am limited to at the moment. Given the choice between a Virt and a Micro next to a Plaque I will go for the Micro.

Bennu try some of the physical caches in the city. Many of them are a easy find for healthy folks but can be a fun challange for those of us with limited movement

Micros are great, but if they are in a place that I need to bend over or even sit down, with one leg completely immobilized it is difficult. I can't even get out of a chair or my car without something to support me. I would love it if there were enough accessible micros, but around here there are not that many. Plus, nothing is more disappointing than driving several miles, after downloading waypoints that look promising and printing out the info, only to find that I cannot attempt the terrain with this leg or I can see the cache, but can't get to it.

quote:
not all virts are easy to get to, some require quite a hike to access them; much more work than a drive-and-drop traditional....

That is true, and some of them have been my favorite caches for the experience it gave me... but in my present state, I see another need for them, that I don't think has been considered... they can still be clever,interesting, and also handicap accessible. Just as we should not lump "all men" into a category, or "all women" into a category, we should not lump all virtuals into a category. Many of the regular park and grabs I have done were not as interesting as any of the virtuals I have done, and some I didn't even have to get out of the car for.