Never found!

possibly oldest unfound cache in existence 4.5lb Walleye

EDIT: i guess it is the oldest :D

This one is indeed the oldest unfound cache. As soon as I hit the lotto I'll be making an attempt to find it.

Might as well. The person who has posted about 5 notes threatening to find it is never going to. :D

Oh, did a quick check, Nunavut and NorthWest Territories alone have 18 never found caches. 4.5 Walleye is in Northern Ontario. I was probably low just on my estimate 15-20 never found caches in Northern Canada.

This one is indeed the oldest unfound cache. As soon as I hit the lotto I'll be making an attempt to find it.

Might as well. The person who has posted about 5 notes threatening to find it is never going to. :D

I think the fact that there is almost 50 miles (as the crow flies) of Canadian wilderness from this cache and the nearest permament settlement is the reason it's been unfound. It would be one heck of an adventure though.

I think the fact that there is almost 50 miles (as the crow flies) of Canadian wilderness from this cache and the nearest permament settlement is the reason it's been unfound. It would be one heck of an adventure though.

There is now a cache in that settlement (Fort Albany) about 50 miles away, and it was found within a couple months of being placed. Problem is getting to 4.5 Lb. Walleye from there. I also understand it's about a $1,000 round-trip flight per person from Timmins to Fort Albany, which is not accessable by road. The best chance of anyone finding this thing is a Canadian Government employee up there on business. Or someone who really, really wants to find it, and wants to spend some serious cache.

There was one on Vancouver Island that took at least 4 years before the FTF happened. Quite a narrow window of opportunity to grab it weatherwise. My work colleague's husband was part of the team that made it. The cache is called The Golden Hinde Grinde, I believe.

Here's a link - ickster's log and the photos are worth a look http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=430e1347-0731-4e7b-bf0a-f43cf974725d&log=y&decrypt=

Last time I checked, these were the oldest unfound caches:

Hidden: 23 Jun 01 4.5lb Walleye by Jamie Matear (GCDFB) Ontario, Canada

Hidden: 10 Jul 01 Conch Shell Horn by Jeffrey Courrier (GC105E) Venezuela

Hidden: 28 Jul 01 Nikolay-Kam by Nikolay-Kam (GC14C3) Russia

Hidden: 12 Aug 01 Mount Temple by MCpl. Paul Franklin, MCpl. J. Pawsey (GC1607) Alberta, Canada

Well, I certainly wouldn't go there without a replacement container in-hand. :ph34r:

I tried and failed to find a cache that was unfound for 5½ years.

I did NOT bring a replacement cache, as I think logging a smiley for a throwdown is utterly wrong.

I suppose it's possible to bring a replacement container but log a DNF or a Note but I doubt that happens much.

There was a cache about 35 miles from where I live that had gone unfound (and nobody had attempted it) for about 4 years. It was a boat accessible only cache that I was planning on going after for my 900th find. About a week before my planned search date someone went for it, couldn't find it, and threw down a replacement (and logged a find). I canceled my plans to look for it and went and found "The Spot" instead.

There's a cache called "Bungle in the Amazon Jungle" that has *only* been unfound for 2.5 years but I've been watching it since there is a non-zero chance that I might have an opportunity to visit the area one of these days. It's located near Iquitos, Peru; the largest city in the world that is not accessible by land. You have to either fly in or take a boat up the Amazon. I've done some work with someone that lives in Iquitos and had a tentative meeting for a visit there a couple of years ago but funding never panned out. I'm still hoping to go there some day, especially since the guy I know there has offered to take me fishing on the Amazon while I'm there.

PS, before anybody commits real money (booking airfare etc.) to find a cache, it's always a good idea to do a little research into the cache owner; check out the profile. Have they actually found any caches before hiding one in the back of beyond?

I know of one where the coordinates point deep into featureless jungle. Those coords are something like 20 miles off. People have figured out it's actually in the middle of an archaeological site (probably a rule-breaker right there), and are finding it. The hider has one hide and one find, which is the same cache - he "found" it while dropping a TB.

Unfortunately, this seems typical for a lot of deeply remote caches.

I think there's someone who has a bookmark list of unfound caches, but I can't for the life of me remember who it is... I could look it up when I have a little more time.

this is the one i found

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=8b3d4747-7c89-4cce-8831-fc7e76c98b62

there are few more region specific though

That's the one I was thinking of! Thanks for doing the legwork.

PS, before anybody commits real money (booking airfare etc.) to find a cache, it's always a good idea to do a little research into the cache owner; check out the profile. Have they actually found any caches before hiding one in the back of beyond?

I know of one where the coordinates point deep into featureless jungle. Those coords are something like 20 miles off. People have figured out it's actually in the middle of an archaeological site (probably a rule-breaker right there), and are finding it. The hider has one hide and one find, which is the same cache - he "found" it while dropping a TB.

Unfortunately, this seems typical for a lot of deeply remote caches.

Good advice.

Good grief about the jungle cache!!

Edited by Max and 99