Where have I been twice?

My stats say that I've found 2089 caches (2088 distinct). By my reckoning this means it thinks I've been somewhere twice; but obviously I don't think so! So, how do I find out where it's all going wrong. I did a PQ of my finds and used some code I'd put together to work out which days I'd not cached on to read the xml file. I sorted the contents by name and then asked for a data set of those records which weren't unique and came up with an empty dataset. So, either I need to refine the code I wrote or it's not on that list. Whilst I can look at the first, in the meantime does anyone know of a good way to find my double dipping visit?

Many thanks for that (two logs for number 5 and none for number 4) - how did you do that so quickly!

I wrote a GreaseMonkey script a couple of months ago which counts how many caches there are listed on the page. Normally this will be 20 but if a cache is logged twice it will say 19.

So,viewing your list of finds http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=Wilburii I just clicked 'Next' until my counter said 19

Then it was just a case of viewing each cache page until I found the one with two logs. Luckily it was the fourth or fifth one that I looked at B)

If the duplicate had been quite early on it would have taken a little bit longer :D

Mark

No - no YOSMs - I've found a couple and never logged them as I've never got round to working out what's supposed to be done.

This might help:

1. YOSM is logged in the usual way, with a 'Found it' log on geocaching.com, but as with any

cache, repeat logs do count towards your 'total finds' tally.

2. YOSM can be, and usually is, logged retrospectively.The only stipulation is that the date of

your trig visit be subsequent to the initial publishing date of the cache in Oct 2003. If your trig

visit was prior to Oct 2003, then you do have to revisit. Groundspeak guidelines apparently.

3. A complete list of YOSM trigs is downloadable as a .gpx file from http://www.yosm.org.uk/

for use in GSAK or equivalent.

4. When logging on geocaching.com, include the YSM code, trig name and type e.g. YSM424

Trink Hill pillar. This way your log will automatically be counted in the YOSM league table.

It's from the article on YoSM caches that appeared in the last GAGB newsletter page12 (links to .pdf)

Many thanks for that (two logs for number 5 and none for number 4) - how did you do that so quickly!

I wrote a GreaseMonkey script a couple of months ago which counts how many caches there are listed on the page. Normally this will be 20 but if a cache is logged twice it will say 19.

So,viewing your list of finds http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=Wilburii I just clicked 'Next' until my counter said 19

Then it was just a case of viewing each cache page until I found the one with two logs. Luckily it was the fourth or fifth one that I looked at B)

If the duplicate had been quite early on it would have taken a little bit longer :D

Mark

Wow! I'm impressed!

I actually have the same problem but don't know where to start looking for 4 double logs..... help? :blink:

And I like a numpty have just asked this question on a different, completely random thread...

Please please please can someone let me know which three I've accidentally doubled? We have 468 finds on 465 unique caches and it breaks my heart every time I see it.

Didn't realise you could get multiple smilies on one cache. Still couldn't believe it after doing a test run earlier today and watching the find number jump to 469. Promptly deleted it...

(really hoping it is three and not some drunken shambles on one solitary cache) I really want my statistics to mean something, especially as we're looking to hit the big 500 this weekend...

Please please please can someone let me know which three I've accidentally doubled? We have 468 finds on 465 unique caches and it breaks my heart every time I see it.

The easiest way is to use GSAK

In the meantime though, if you view your finds here you have a duplicate on one of the caches on page 17 and also on one of the caches on page 21

Open each cache listing in turn, click 'view all logs' and do a text search for your name to find where you have logged it twice

Mark

I seem to have a similar problem. I have 650 finds with 649 distinct. I have GSAK but still cant find the odd one. GSAK says there are 650 records but when you count them, there are 649. How can I tell from GSAK which one is the 'indistinct' one? I've tried exporting to Excel but there are only 69 records so that doesn't help!!

Thanks

Mike

Cancel that question .. I've just figured it out. Cheers anyway

Edited by Micky Two Pints

I seem to have a similar problem. I have 650 finds with 649 distinct. I have GSAK but still cant find the odd one. GSAK says there are 650 records but when you count them, there are 649. How can I tell from GSAK which one is the 'indistinct' one? I've tried exporting to Excel but there are only 69 records so that doesn't help!!

Thanks

Mike

Run the special MyFinds PQ and load it into a database. (It can update your existing Found caches.)

Set a Filter for Logs > Found > Required count 'Greater than or Equal to 2'

Thread over in the GSAK fourum: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=7007&st=0entry42343

Edited by Bear and Ragged

It would appear that deleted logs throw the numbers out. GSAK is showing me having two found logs for 3rd Feb 2011.

My original log on this cache was deleted so I re-submitted and added a needs maintenance for good measure.

GSAK will keep previous logs in it's database...

If you delete a log from the site, delete it from GSAK!

(OR. Delete all your Finds from GSAK, and reload a new MyFinds PQ)

(OR. Delete all your Finds from GSAK, and reload a new MyFinds PQ)

Not to be recommended if you've got FTF flags set... :unsure:

I solved that little conundrum by only ever using the anacronym FTF in a log if I am actually FTF. If I have been beaten to ftf and wish to mention it in my log, I type it in full. I then just reload my My Finds, and do a text search in my logs for FTF, then set the FTF flag for the resulting search records.

It would appear that deleted logs throw the numbers out. GSAK is showing me having two found logs for 3rd Feb 2011.

My original log on this cache was deleted so I re-submitted and added a needs maintenance for good measure.

I would simply delete that cache from your found GSAK database, or if you want to keep it in, FTF flag etc, right click on the cache in GSAK select delete logs, select all and delete them. This will keep any flags etc then when you next upload a my finds PQ it will add the log back in.

I'm not sure I agree about the deleted logs changing it. On occasion, when Polonius and I have more in common than usual and I'm trying to do an extra long log, I've found I've run out of room and have to finish by writing a note, only it then reads strangely, so I've copied and deleted log, posted the note and relogged higher up.

I've not (yet) had problems with the count factor, even if "succinctity" still remains a challenge!

:unsure:

I'm not sure I agree about the deleted logs changing it.

The 'problem' occurs if you or a CO delete a log AFTER the My Finds PQ has been loaded into GSAK

Then posting a new log will mean that the GSAK database will have two logs in it next time the My Finds PQ is downloaded

I suspect this is what tarmacjohn's problem was

Mark