Notification when log deleted

BruceS

I agree with BruceS. This seems to be a little open-loop here. I keep my own database with all my finds and check it against my stats. If it wasn't for that, I would never know if one of my logs was deleted. Even using this method it would take a long time to figure out which log was deleted.

Dinohunter, you are talking about a completely different subject. We are talking about find logs, DNF logs, notes, etc. Not caches. We are just saying that if the cache owner deletes our log, we want an e-mail notification that it happened. If I misunderstood your suggestion, my appologies...

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Yes, automatic notification when my log is deleted would be great. Logs are sometimes deleted accidentally but there is no way to know unless I keep a running tally of my total, which I don't. When they are deleted intentionally, the owner may not have the courtesy to notify me (this has happened at least once that I've noticed--very annoying).

The system keeps tracks of all our cache logs such as finds and notes. When a log is deleted it vanishes. But does it really? Is it still in the system somewhere? There might be a way to keep these logs available through the My Cache Page, perhaps with a line through them to show the deletion. This would be useful in recovering accidental or erroneous deletions.

quote:
Originally posted by bigeddy:

The system keeps tracks of all our cache logs such as finds and notes. When a log is deleted it vanishes. But does it really? Is it still in the system somewhere? There might be a way to keep these logs available through the My Cache Page, perhaps with a line through them to show the deletion. This would be useful in recovering accidental or erroneous deletions.

It's my understanding that when the poster or cache owner or admin deletes a log, it is really archiving the log and that the text is still in the system and could be recovered. I've been wrong before though...

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Rocky Road and Annie:

Unintentional deletes would almost certainly be corrected by the cache owner--

Once the cache owner deletes the log he can not correct it.

The log is actually archived and not deleted. The reason that I posted this topic to begin with was I had one deleted. Normally I probably would not have noticed... but I was sitting at 3000 finds and dropped to 2999. Was able to track it down with a help from Jeremy, who sent a list of all my archived/deleted logs. Most of list was for logs I had deleted when posted in error etc. The one deleted was deleted when cache owner was cleaning up his page, intentional deletion with an inadvertent effect.

Would be nice if the text of the log that was deleted was also forwarded so original wording could be relogged when problem is resolved.

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

It's my understanding that when the poster or cache owner or admin deletes a log, it is really archiving the log and that the text is still in the system and could be recovered. I've been wrong before though...

I believe you're correct. But noone but a site admin (that is, Jeremy and the crew) can bring it back I think. And then only if requested.

I'd love to see something that makes you put in a reason for deletion to icon_smile.gif So it'd have to be better than "Dissed on my horribly un-maintained cache." It would be REALLY swanky to have an appeal process icon_smile.gif

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

quote:

I'd love to see something that makes you put in a reason for deletion to icon_smile.gif So it'd have to be better than "Dissed on my horribly un-maintained cache." It would be REALLY swanky to have an appeal process icon_smile.gif

Yeah, we have to play this tap dancing game with people...their cache is lame (for whatever reason) but you can't post anything too negative or they'll get mad and delete your post, and thus your credit for the find. Oops, I forgot, we're not supposed to be keeping track of our stats anymore, are we?? icon_razz.gif

-Dave R. in Biloxi

We'll be notifying the owner of a deleted log in the near future. I'm just finishing up changes to the "report a cache" page, and will be following up with changes to the "log a cache" page. At that time I'll add additional notification features.

Included in the "report a cache" page is a notification when a cache has been approved.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

Included in the "report a cache" page is a notification when a cache has been approved.

Ahh, that's been on my wish list. Thanks for the feature, and also for giving now some answers here in forums.

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -