How "polite"

Ant89

just received the following email...

What is your problem,have you been to the cache and checked the log ?,no i don't think you have.I have visited this cache and signed the log and i wont be visiting any more of your sh*t caches again.You really are a tool and i've got to say you have set some sh*te caches.You seem to forget that it was me who you asked to go revisit your Wilderness cache as you had messed up the co-ordinates for the next cache,and i had to put the correct co-ordinates in the log book for you,even though i had already spent ages trying to find it as your co-ordinates were out by a long way.I have tried to find loads of your caches in the Wrexham area without success and didn't log them as a DNF,as a lot of my friends have done the same,but i will tell them to log them now as DNF's.

Some people eh!

Edited by Ant89
What is your problem,have you been to the cache and checked the log ?,no i don't think you have.I have visited this cache and signed the log and i wont be visiting any more of your sh*t caches again.You really are a tool and i've got to say you have set some sh*te caches.You seem to forget that it was me who you asked to go revisit your Wilderness cache as you had messed up the co-ordinates for the next cache,and i had to put the correct co-ordinates in the log book for you,even though i had already spent ages trying to find it as your co-ordinates were out by a long way.I have tried to find loads of your caches in the Wrexham area without success and didn't log them as a DNF,as a lot of my friends have done the same,but i will tell them to log them now as DNF's.

Some people eh!

At least you got some words, a lot of logs are coming through blank these days. :(

I'm not sure which is the most dis courteous. I would say the above is reportable as abusive though.

Standards are certainly not what they were. :anitongue:

Some people eh!

At least you got some words, a lot of logs are coming through blank these days. :(

I'm not sure which is the most dis courteous. I would say the above is reportable as abusive though.

Standards are certainly not what they were. :anitongue:

This was in an email- and have reported. I walk the dog in this park every day! so regularly check on this one and the others in the series.

I admit I may have overlooked their signature, but the cache has only had 21 visits so it's doubtful.

Over the top and certainly out of line, but if he had been in contact with you don't you think you should have at least contacted him before deleting the Found it?

Had done the 1st time he logged the cache online without signing the log. He then re-logged with the same date a couple of hours later without any further contact to disscuss the issue*- it's only after giving him a few days to re-visit and sign that I deleted the second log.

*He may well have found it, but, as the rules state, "no signature, no find"

Are you coordinates off? And most importantly, are your caches "sh*t"?

Coords are only off within the acceptable error, particually in woodland, especially my older caches hidden with my previous GPS.

well, considering 2 past emails from other cachers went like this

"Hi there...i thoroughly enjoyed the Llanarmon yn Ial series this morning and will return some day to cmplete it...the Bath cache is, I suspect, missing, but the other 5 were intact and great fun to find. At the Bath...the farmer has just installed a new bath, the old one is still there, but cache-less!"

and

"Just a note to say that if you are wondering whether to bother replacing your Sandstone Rocks cache, I will look for it if you do! It looks like an interesting cache and it would be a shame to see it go. There are lots of dreadful caches being placed in North Wales at the moment so it would be sad to see a good one disappear."

So seems it's just this one individual who has a problem, even though they seemed happy enough to help sort out a problem when it involved :rolleyes: getting an FTF :huh:

The rules might well state that, but it's still a pointless thing to do unless you genuinely believe the cache hasn't been visited.

It was a ridiculous email right enough, well worth reporting.

+1

best reply in this thread

why do people even bother deleting logs?

i have a cache way up in a tree a T4.5, and last 3 logs say "TFTC" "Yeehaw" and "nice spot", do i have doubts this people actually climbed up there?...you bet your a** I do, am i going to bother checking the logbook and deleting their logs?...NO, i have better things to do, if that's how they want to "play" sucks to be them :lol:

i have a cache way up in a tree a T4.5, and last 3 logs say "TFTC" "Yeehaw" and "nice spot", do i have doubts this people actually climbed up there?...you bet your a** I do, am i going to bother checking the logbook and deleting their logs?...NO, i have better things to do, if that's how they want to "play" sucks to be them :lol:

What he said. An even better reply. This attitude of "I'm deleting your log if you haven't signed the paper one" is very childish. It only makes for bad feeling and you get what you deserve if it upsets someone. And what is achieved anyway? I couldn't care less personally if that's how people want to play. They know if they found it or not so it's their loss and theirs alone.

The rules might well state that, but it's still a pointless thing to do unless you genuinely believe the cache hasn't been visited.

It was a ridiculous email right enough, well worth reporting.

+1

each to their own :P

And because I have decided to follow that aspect of the game for the next few months- got to try it some time ;)

Have to admit I made a mistake, who hasn't though? (rhetorical question alert! :lol: ) Found their log on a scrap of paper amongst a bunch of by one get one free vouchers so no wonder I missed it both previous times I checked. However, their is no excuse for their attitude in that email :(

And because I have decided to follow that aspect of the game for the next few months- got to try it some time ;)

Have to admit I made a mistake, who hasn't though? (rhetorical question alert! :lol: ) Found their log on a scrap of paper amongst a bunch of by one get one free vouchers so no wonder I missed it both previous times I checked. However, their is no excuse for their attitude in that email :(

Now that you have admitted that you made a mistake maybe the author of that nasty email, if they are reading this, will be big enough to apologise for being so out of order.

Maybe not hold your breath though. :blink:

And he means it too! :rolleyes:

he checked on a couple of Micro's I found once and told me off for not signing :blink:

Luckily i had taken a picture of them instead ..... well .... I was in a rush. :huh:

I am terrible for doing that though, if there are loads of caches on a trail, (And time is running out) I take the box out of the bag (or just hold the micro) and take a pic.

I know some people are sticklers for signing the log, but if I take a picture of the cache and its surroundings... then I found the cache.

But i can see where Ant is coming from.... cause he does check the logs....(And the only CO i know personaly that does!) :lol:

The only logs i delete are the ones that are logged twice .... then I send them an email saying:

Don't worry if you see your log has been deleted, it is only because you logged it twice by mistake (it is easy done)

It's a game and we all play it differently, but there is no need for abusive email!

You tell em Ant. :D

The email you received was abusive, whether you censored the swear words, or the sender censored themselves.

However, I can quite understand how upset someone can be when they are called a liar, or a cheat: which is effectively what you do when you (mistakenly, as you now know) delete their log.

I would love it if this thread came to a happy ending, whereby Ant apologises to the sender of the bad email for doubting their integrity, and the abusive email sender apologises for their reaction to being called a cheat.

I know some people are sticklers for signing the log,

As in, everybody (or almost everybody!). That's just simply part of the game. If you really don't have the extra minute to sign the log then it's best to log a DNF as you haven't really "found" the cache. Yes, you "found" it according to your definition so you can note in your notebook that it was a find, but the geocaching.com game is all about marking the log book. It's artificial, but the whole game is artificial.

I wouldn't be very happy if everyone logged my caches by saying that they couldn't be bothered to open the container, then compounded the insult by cluttering up my inbox with photos!

As in, everybody (or almost everybody!). That's just simply part of the game. If you really don't have the extra minute to sign the log then it's best to log a DNF as you haven't really "found" the cache. Yes, you "found" it according to your definition so you can note in your notebook that it was a find, but the geocaching.com game is all about marking the log book. It's artificial, but the whole game is artificial.

I wouldn't be very happy if everyone logged my caches by saying that they couldn't be bothered to open the container, then compounded the insult by cluttering up my inbox with photos!

I agree. If you can't be bothered to spend the extra minute to open the cache and sign the log, don't be offended if I can be bothered to delete your log!

Now that you have admitted that you made a mistake maybe the author of that nasty email, if they are reading this, will be big enough to apologise for being so out of order.

Maybe not hold your breath though. :blink:

I've decided to extend the virtual olive branch and explain to them what happened, I can only hope they have the bravery to apologize.

If someone can't be bothered to sign a cache then I'd have to wonder why they bothered to look for it in the first place. That said it seems eminently fair to me to claim a find if you were there, you had retrieved and opened the box but were unable to sign the log for some other reason (no pen, log too wet, etc). In such a case I'd expect to provide evidence I was there, such as a photograph of the cache contents and the log or enough information to prove conclusively I did find it.

Wherever possible I'll sign the log or provide some other concrete proof I was there (one time I found a cache the morning after a friend's wedding and the container was so small what I opted for was leaving a tiny piece of the ribbon from the order of service in the cache), but it seems overly anal to me to delete a log because someone was genuinely unable to sign the cache they found, retrieved and opened.

but it seems overly anal to me to delete a log because someone was genuinely unable to sign the cache they found, retrieved and opened.

I don't think anyone would delete a "find" where the cache log wasn't signed due to unusual circumstances more or less beyond the finder's control. But I'd expect some effort to be made to get round the problem, and if there was no real intention to sign then it counts as a DNF. Just like if you spot the cache from ten yards away and decide that that counts as a find; yes it does count if that's how you want to play your own game, but it doesn't count for the purpose of a smiley on geocaching.com.

but it seems overly anal to me to delete a log because someone was genuinely unable to sign the cache they found, retrieved and opened.

I don't think anyone would delete a "find" where the cache log wasn't signed due to unusual circumstances more or less beyond the finder's control. But I'd expect some effort to be made to get round the problem, and if there was no real intention to sign then it counts as a DNF. Just like if you spot the cache from ten yards away and decide that that counts as a find; yes it does count if that's how you want to play your own game, but it doesn't count for the purpose of a smiley on geocaching.com.

The way some people talk they seem to think that having the cache in your hand, opened with the log opened, still doesn't count if you didn't write your name on the log, and that if you didn't happen to have a pen with you then that's just too bad.

I agree that spotting a cache from a distance and figuring that's close enough isn't really the point, although if a cache rated 1/1 had been moved so that, for example, I couldn't retrieve it because my fingers were too fat I'd still consider that a find. A 4/4 cache up a tree that I'd sighted from the ground but didn't retrieve... well, to claim that on the basis of sighting it alone seems daft (I'd use a Note to say I'd sighted it but not retrieved it, on the basis I couldn't claim a Find with a clear conscience and it's not really a DNF on the basis I could see it was there)

As in, everybody (or almost everybody!). That's just simply part of the game. If you really don't have the extra minute to sign the log then it's best to log a DNF as you haven't really "found" the cache.

But I did find it, there it is in my hands in the pic i uploaded

Yes, you "found" it!

So I did find it?

according to your definition so you can note in your notebook that it was a find, but the geocaching.com game is all about marking the log book. It's artificial, but the whole game is artificial.

Good job it's just a game then ... as you say.

But ...but ... i take lovely picture! :rolleyes:

Thing is, I have another life other than caching (as much as I wished I didn't)

And when I have say: 3 hours free to do a trail, but spend far longer than expected trying to find a cache (I don't like giving up you see, I like to 'FIND' them.)

Then i see I am quickly running out of time .... but i can't just jump back in the Jeep (because I'm half way round the trail) so I run to the next cache and on finding it (or not, according to you) I take a picture!

This is the way I play the game.

I don't armchair cache,

I don't log a find if I didn't find,

I'm geocaching MY way!

Feel free to delete any of my logs if I didn't sign the log ... oh and delete my lovely pictures too :lol:

(If I'm ever round your way caching) :blink:

I'm geocaching MY way!

Absolutely, and as long as it doesn't interfere with the game the way most people play it, then fine. Many people find caches but don't even attempt to log online.

Don't expect everyone to allow logs on geocaching.com when you don't sign the log book though. No big deal. Just a game, as you clearly appreciate. In this game you have to sign the log to be entitled to a "find" (apart from the rare exceptions mentioned). Otherwise it's simply a DNF; as you realise it's just a game then I'm sure you'll be happy to DNF if time runs too short to open the container. B)

This is the way I play the game.

I don't armchair cache,

I don't log a find if I didn't find,

I'm geocaching MY way!

OK, I'll come out and say it. If a cacher logs my cache online I trust that they found it by whatever definition THEY have of finding. I have far better things to do with my time than sit there matching online logs with written logs and, despite other posts here, I suspect most people don't do this.

I'd love to see this evidence that eveybody (definately not as I don't) or nearly everybody checks the logs. Amoung my group of caching friends I know none that do this. I think that I'm fairly safe stating that nearly everyone doesn't check the logs as that amount of spare time would mean a lot more cache maintenance would get done and it's clear that many owners rarely ever visit their own caches.

I'd love to see this evidence that eveybody (definately not as I don't) or nearly everybody checks the logs. Amoung my group of caching friends I know none that do this.

I don't think that anyone has said that they always check the logs. All I said was that everybody (or nearly everybody) signs the log before counting the cache as found. I'd be surprised if any of your caching friends would regularly visit caches but not open the containers. Even FantasyRaider only does that when short of time, and presumably when the cache is also regarded as rubbish.

But if that's what people do, then all I'm saying is that I have no problem with that. No need to even see the container, if you like. Count it as a find if you get within an indicated half mile of the cache, if that's how you want to play.

Obviously, if you log it on geocaching.com then it's a DNF, but I'd have no problem with that either and as it's only a game there's no reason for you to worry about it. If you mistakenly log it as a find and don't mention your personal rules; then chances are the find will stand. It would be a shame is it turns out that the log book was actually full, or soaking wet, or that the cache is actually missing, because someone else will then have their cache experience spoilt when expecting to find a fully operational cache.

It would be a shame is it turns out that the log book was actually full, or soaking wet, or that the cache is actually missing, because someone else will then have their cache experience spoilt when expecting to find a fully operational cache.

Now I do understand your point on that completely, I must admit I never saw it that way.

Anyway, this morning (and yesterday) on the way to work in Liverpool I started out 2 hours earlier so i could do some of the new Deci drive-by's.

I managed to find 7 yesterday and 5 today and I signed everyone even though I was quickly running out of time.

So, even though I hate to admit it ...... you got to me! :rolleyes: (I also DNF'ed 3 (I always log my DNF's)

I'm probably the opposite when it comes to logging caches. My name appears in many more log books than online logs and in some log books for caches that had been rehidden by the time I reached them, feel free to pop out there with an eraser, I believe that is the modern term, and remove my log.

I would love to know just what it is about these forums that brings out the incredible amount of pettiness for what is basically a silly game of hunting boxes. How anyone can seriously consider that having the box in the hand is a DNF really does need to get out more. Is it no wonder that people get hot under the collar when these things go on?

Really, why is it that this game alone seems to attract such crazy antics?

:lol: I think that happens in every game/ hobby.

I sometimes feel that we (the newbies) are treated as the outsiders by some old hands.

But then, that is the way with most things.

I don't tend to take any notice, it all goes over my head.

And then ....... something that came across 'very silly' is then explained to me .... and I GET IT!

Maybe if they tried to advise what we could do, instead of 'telling' us what we should do, it wouldn't feel like we were in court when posting on this forum?

Edited by FantasyRaider

I'm probably the opposite when it comes to logging caches. My name appears in many more log books than online logs and in some log books for caches that had been rehidden by the time I reached them, feel free to pop out there with an eraser, I believe that is the modern term, and remove my log.

I would love to know just what it is about these forums that brings out the incredible amount of pettiness for what is basically a silly game of hunting boxes. How anyone can seriously consider that having the box in the hand is a DNF really does need to get out more. Is it no wonder that people get hot under the collar when these things go on?

No need to get so het up; it's just a discussion about a game! B)

This actually applies to almost any game. Consider golf, for instance. How incredibly petty that the ball travels to within an inch of the hole, and when you simply pick it up rather then bother knocking it in, you're disqualified (assuming it's a stroke-play match)! Or football. No matter how casual the game, people will insist that you can't count it as a goal unless the ball actually crosses the goal line. So you take the little extra effort to knock the golf ball an inch so it goes into the hole, or the football two more feet so it's over the goal line.

It's only a game and you know the rules...if someone is so desperate for a find that they count it when they didn't bother signing the log then I suggest they're taking the game too seriously. I'm pretty cool about it and I'm quite prepared to log a DNF if I didn't sign, because I know that it's only a game. What does it matter?

Except all those are competitive games where the score actually makes a difference. I play a competitive form of geocaching and even in that I don't expect a signature. I have a confirmation code that proves the cache was found.

I'm not het up at all, I'm saying I'm not suprised that people send out stroppy emails when cache owners delete their logs on caches they consider, and in this case did, find.

Cache Owner: "I've deleted your log, you didn't sign the log book"

Cache Finder: "I left a piece of paper/sig item, the log was full/wet"

End of story.

Cache Owner: "I've deleted your log, you didn't sign the log book"

Cache Finder: " Go and take a jump! Your cache is ****, you are so far up ..." etc

A nice long thread on the forum!

I was replying to;

I guess that if you want a "find" when you haven't opened the container then you're treating the game as pretty competitive.

Just one last point; I have a couple of traditional caches where you can find a container at the coordinates, but when you open the container all it contains is a note telling you that you haven't found the cache. :huh: Yet they ARE traditional caches (they've caused hours of frustration and amusement), and it would would really make the cache pointless if I allowed logs to stand from people who hadn't found the log book.

That's why I was taking an interest!

I was replying to;

I guess that if you want a "find" when you haven't opened the container then you're treating the game as pretty competitive.

Just one last point; I have a couple of traditional caches where you can find a container at the coordinates, but when you open the container all it contains is a note telling you that you haven't found the cache. :huh: Yet they ARE traditional caches (they've caused hours of frustration and amusement), and it would would really make the cache pointless if I allowed logs to stand from people who hadn't found the log book.

Ditto.

Kerplunk and Sisyphus are both VERY easy finds. But Kerplunk will probably take you another 15-20 minutes to get to the log - and you'd be lucky to sign Sisyphus in less than an hour. :)

I suspect I'm just going to have agree to disagree and draw my own conclusions as to whether I think a certain level of logging requirement is pedantic and petty or not. As I said earlier I don't log caches I don't sign, unless there is nowt in there to sign, so I'm not trying to defend any particular behaviour. I simply feel that some cache owners are way to petty and invite stroppy emails. I'm also not defending the tone of the email sent to the OP and wouldn't send something like that myself. We are not all raised in the same generations or to the same standards of polite behaviour.

Interesting that the OP was happy to post the email sent to him but not publically post an apology having found his mistake. Sometimes you have to rise above other peoples poor choice of words, especially when written in anger. The original cause of all this was the OP deletion of a log incorrectly, Or do we now also have to sign on the correct page and in black ink to log a find as well.

Personally I find it sad that cache owners cannot simply take it on trust that a finder found a cache without checking each and every log. I guess that's where I differ.

I suspect I'm just going to have agree to disagree and draw my own conclusions as to whether I think a certain level of logging requirement is pedantic and petty or not. As I said earlier I don't log caches I don't sign, unless there is nowt in there to sign, so I'm not trying to defend any particular behaviour. I simply feel that some cache owners are way to petty and invite stroppy emails. I'm also not defending the tone of the email sent to the OP and wouldn't send something like that myself. We are not all raised in the same generations or to the same standards of polite behaviour.

Interesting that the OP was happy to post the email sent to him but not publically post an apology having found his mistake. Sometimes you have to rise above other peoples poor choice of words, especially when written in anger. The original cause of all this was the OP deletion of a log incorrectly, Or do we now also have to sign on the correct page and in black ink to log a find as well.

Personally I find it sad that cache owners cannot simply take it on trust that a finder found a cache without checking each and every log. I guess that's where I differ.

Most of us do take it on trust.

We also at times get logs blatantly admitting the log was not signed. :anibad:

Its fairly obvious there are many seekers that are totally untrustworthy. :sad:

I was replying to;

Ditto.

Kerplunk and Sisyphus are both VERY easy finds. But Kerplunk will probably take you another 15-20 minutes to get to the log - and you'd be lucky to sign Sisyphus in less than an hour. :)

Exactly!! There is a traditional cache in Edinburgh, that has several containers hidden within 10 metres of the actual cache. Each container says nope not this one, or try again etc. You don't know this little twist until you actually find one of the dummy containers.

I also done a cache very recently that meant I had to spend a further 5 minutes searching for the log within the actual cache. I didn't mind either of these caches as they are different and add a little bit more to the find.

If I had just done the, well I have seen it so I will sign it, then not only would I have cheated myself but I have also insulted the cache owner who has taken the time, effort & expense to place a cache for my enjoyment. That is the part that many appear to forget.

I sometimes feel that we (the newbies) are treated as the outsiders by some old hands.

I think you are being a tad too generous to yourself? Nearly 2 years as a member, 1344 finds and 156 hides. You are hardly a newbie!

But I am still a newbie ..... some people have been doing this for 10 years!

To me .... i still feel a newbie.

I still struggle on some finds,

I still make mistakes and I still need (and like) advice on caching .... thats why I read these forums.

It would be so nice to be able to ask advice without being jumped on sometimes ... but i'm still reading and learning.

I think you are being a tad too generous to yourself? Nearly 2 years as a member, 1344 finds and 156 hides. You are hardly a newbie!

But I am still a newbie ..... some people have been doing this for 10 years!

To me .... i still feel a newbie.

I still struggle on some finds,

I still make mistakes and I still need (and like) advice on caching .... thats why I read these forums.

It would be so nice to be able to ask advice without being jumped on sometimes ... but i'm still reading and learning.

No you are not a newbie, everything you describe I still do and look for. I have been caching for 7 1/2 years, twice the finds as you but half the hides. I stopped classing myself as a newbie within about 6 months. Back then you couldn't find as many as you do now I had about 100 finds to my name.

Let's face it learning to become a Geocacher isn't exactly as steep a curve as you are protraying? Especially with your find and hide count.

Let's face it learning to become a Geocacher isn't exactly as steep a curve as you are protraying? Especially with your find and hide count.

I was protraying becoming a Geocacher was a steep curve? ... wow! ... was I? :unsure:

I was explaining that i still felt like newbie, that I still had a lot to learn ...........compared to members on this forum with 7 1/2 year experience.

I never once said it was rocket science?

Gosh!

I would love to know just what it is about these forums that brings out the incredible amount of pettiness for what is basically a silly game of hunting boxes.

Oh, the irony!

I can only assume from that, that we have been on opposite sides of a discussion in the past :) alas I don't remember you, however I do include myself in the above. :)

Edited for spelling

Edited by Icenians