Should I make it a Virtual Cache?

Jiheffe

Hello,

I recently posted a cache, "Waterloo 1815", which is a nice walk around the battlefield of Waterloo in Belgium.

It actually consists of a series of waypoints, at each of which you have to search for a clue that will guide you to the next one, and so on.

There is no cache to find, it's just a nice walk.

Actually, the walk passes along another cache I placed, "The Eagle's Last Battle", and I suggest the cache hunters to look at this cache as well.

I categorized it as a "Multi-Cache".

Now I am wondering if I should make it a virtual cache, as there is nothing to "find" (except the nice surroundings icon_smile.gif ).

Also, should I ask people to validate their visit, E.g. by e-mailing me the coordinates of a specific landmark?

All comments are welcome!

Greetings from (at the moment) sunny and cold Belgium!

Jiheffe

Don't Dream It... Be It!

[This message was edited by Jiheffe on December 11, 2002 at 04:49 AM.]

The only suggestion would be to add some way to verify that a person actually took your tour before logging it. That is to prevent someone who was in the area on vacation last year from logging it as a "find". Perhaps ask for a photo at a specific spot of the geocacher with his GPS, or ask a question that can only be answered by a visit.

~erik~

quote:
Originally posted by Jiheffe:

I categorized it as a "Multi-Cache".

Now I am wondering if I should make it a virtual cache, as there is nothing to "find" (except the nice surroundings icon_smile.gif ).

Well, since it *is* marked as Size: Virtual. Categorizing it as Type: Multi-Cache seems fair enough.

Thanks ~erik~ and ClayJar!

I modified the cache description and now ask to validate a log my emailing me some information that can only be known if you were on the spot.

What is general "etiquette" here? Should I delete logs from people that didn't send me the info? (possibly after a first "warning")

Also, what is this "Permanently encrypt" feature for?

Regards,

Jiheffe

Don't Dream It... Be It!

Here's a spot in the forums where a few cachers tackled that same question. It might help you out a little.

Bascially, I would say to e-mail the cache owners rather than summarily deleting their post. Let them know that they need to log it correctly and give you the information.

Then if they don't supply the info, delete their log.

"Permanently encrypt" means that it will encode the log like an encrypted hint, readable only when the page is decrypted. If the log is overly revealing and you don't want everyone to know that this person "found the cache after going past the big orange rock and looking in the fallen log with the big mushroom" - then you as the cache owner can encrypt the log.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching