Do most GC'ers normally carry an extraction tool

Prepping my first nano containers and im including an extraction tool for the log. The tool is the same size as the tube and since the top has a magnet the tool gets pulled out when the lid is screwed off. just wondering how long they will last in there. :blink:

Anyone else include them? Or just leave it up to the person that finds it to figure it out, Also do you make a note that you might need a way to extract it on the GC page? Thanks.

x.jpg

Edited by adrians.galaxy.crew

Tweezers are my multi-use tool...great for removing logs from nanos, great for poking around in spider webs and holes, great for grabbing caches that sometimes get pushed in too far and most of all....GREAT for removing those nasty cholla cactus needles that at least one of us gets stuck in us during every desert caching adventure.

from the picture it looks larger than a nano. all the nanos I've seen were the size of the cap.

I have tweezers in my cache bag and just assume when I see one listed as a nano I need them.

Think I got the pic to show up now, So would this be a micro? This is a painted plastic container that normally come in the bison tubes.

Not to be a wisenheimer, but nano's are micros. :D At least that's what TPTB tell us right now, until they give us the threatened nano size option. So your cache is a micro, no matter what.

I'm still confused. These things "normally come in the bison tubes"?

from the picture it looks larger than a nano. all the nanos I've seen were the size of the cap.

I have tweezers in my cache bag and just assume when I see one listed as a nano I need them.

Think I got the pic to show up now, So would this be a micro? This is a painted plastic container that normally come in the bison tubes.

Not to be a wisenheimer, but nano's are micros. :D At least that's what TPTB tell us right now, until they give us the threatened nano size option. So your cache is a micro, no matter what.

Some brands of bison tube come with a removable, inner plastic bottle. Sometimes those by themselves are used a very small micros.

I've never had a problem removing the log. Sometimes I use the tweezers on my Leatherman Micra, but usually I either pick it out with my fingers/fingernails, or tap it out by holding the container in one hand, and then tapping that hand against my other hand.

The hard part is rolling the log so it fits back in the container. Some logs have a bit of wire or toothpick or something glued to one end, which can help a lot.

FWIW, I would consider the cache in the photo to be a nano-cache because it is only big enough to hold a custom-fit log sheet. Blinkers aren't the only type of nano-cache out there, but there are different opinions about where the line between a normal micro-cache and a nano-cache is. For example, I consider small Bison tubes to be nano-caches, but not everyone agrees.

bison.jpg

I usually bring two extraction tools....my thumb and pointer finger.

Won't work very well for the tiny caches, unless your real name is Edward Scissorshand.

I have needlenose pliers with me in a pocket multitool. I've also improvised an extraction tool out of twigs nearby.

Never had an issue. Maybe because I am used to micros?

screenshot20110420at424.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Never had an issue. Maybe because I am used to micros?

A matter of time before you encounter one, I think, especially if you find mostly micros. Imagine a container narrower than your smallest finger, the log inside it, not near the edge. Very few logs come tied up with a rubber band (which eventually breaks anyway) so the log won't stay rolled up, but will loosen and stick to the inside of the container.

I've done the wrist flick to dislodge a log. I've also lost at least one container that way. Fortunately I was close to home and could replace it.

Some brands of bison tube come with a removable, inner plastic bottle. Sometimes those by themselves are used a very small micros.

For some reason, I am immensely proud of the fact that I did not know this. :anibad: Now let me ask you another question, how do those blinky nano things open? Just kidding, don't answer that.

To answer your question... I have seen micros of various types with wire or string glued to the top of the log to help cachers remove it, but I haven't seen any like what you show in your picture. I think that is seriously cool. I also think it will probably get lost rather quickly, though, so just be prepared for that. But cachers will appreciate the thought. Nice work, and thanks for that extra effort!

I have something similar, a paperclip wire with a small "L" bend at the end, and a loop on the other end. But It initially was used to extract other things from other items.. I also keep an old tent peg (not the type that you hammer in, but the 8-guage wire cheapy ones.) for the same thing. I had to extract a micro from a brick wall, where it became lodged too far to reach. I'm seriously thinking of adding an extractor claw (the type you push a plunge on one end, and a set of 3 or 4 fingers extend from the other end.) for the same reason. I found the location of one cache, where it was in a tree, in a knot hole.. Except.... a little too far to reach for. (by 8 inches past fingertips)

There was one, where the guy hit a match locker in a pole, with a magnet. Mind you, he DID put something in, to prevent from falling further in, except the item to block it, fell in itself.. I just happened to have a USB cable from my digital camera. the "A" plug side, had a steel shield on its end, so.. dropped that down into the post.. CLICK! extracted!

I am generally well-equipped when I'm caching. A small portable cutting torch, deftly wielded, works quite nicely on nanos, although I do have to go to some lengths to avoid burning the log. The o-rings are considered an acceptable loss, and I try to carry an assortment of spares. It IS tough, however, getting the thing back together again afterwards. Generally, a Needs Maintenance log is necessary, but I don't get too many complaints.