Asking permission has it's benefits!

One of my earliest finds was by a river on an overgrown path. The cache is long gone and I've been thinking of that area for a while. Looked on the map and it's a naked cache zone. Took a drive Sunday and Wow! it's been cleaned up, path is open, even a canoe launch down the trail. Enough space for at least 3 caches here.

Beautiful walk along a flowing river. What more could you want? read on!

I got the number for the Land Conservancy and called for permission - not only do they WANT some put there, they ASKED if we would mind putting some on other land they own down river. I can't wait to check that area out after work if rain holds off!

And there is more!

On the first site, right off the path there is a huge tree and the back side is open about 25" deep, 4' tall on the outside and 3' across the opening. Inside the tree the open space is larger. A standard ammo box would look lost in there. ideas??

FYI-there will be no bison tubes, film canisters or pill bottles used at these spots :rolleyes:

Muggles do not seem to be a problem, the conservancy does not maintain the area. I was told any clearing done on the path was done by the fishermen/boaters which are few. He told me geocachers walking would help keep the growth down. Now there's a first! Welcome bushwhackers and geotrails.

I have a unique bird house that I'm thinking of putting up in a tree with a pulley/rope.

I am an assistant ranger at a small charity in Cambridgeshire, England, UK, which owns a country park, a countryside reserve, a water mill, a wind mill and a leper chapel. The country park is the longest established and most visited attraction. When a geochacher placed a series of three caches in consultation with head ranger, it prompted me to set a similar series of three at the countryside reserve, which could easily accommodate many more visitors than it currently attracts (free entry to both park & reserve, by the way, so no commercial interest). The head ranger and I chose the basic areas, then I got approval and hid caches, which have since had a find a week.

I mentioned this to an orienteering friend who is a county rights of way officer, who said that he nad his colleagues had been thinking about placing caches, but only talked and thought about it. So, they would be open to suggestions for sites or willing to discuss locations with potential cache owners.

And there is more!

On the first site, right off the path there is a huge tree and the back side is open about 25" deep, 4' tall on the outside and 3' across the opening. Inside the tree the open space is larger. A standard ammo box would look lost in there. ideas??

FYI-there will be no bison tubes, film canisters or pill bottles used at these spots :rolleyes:

Sounds like you have room to do something with a system that will lower the cache container which would be up in the hollow out of sight. Those are always fun. Any actual container that is larger than an ammo can usually starts to look pretty empty itself very quickly. Have fun!