What is the ONE THING...

Being killed by a dragon. A surefire party pooper.

I appreciate and respect your answer but I meant in real life.

I've been to Florida. I can't imagine caching there ever gets really rough ?

Edit: There are several cachers around my immediate here in Illinois who flee to Florida every winter to cache.

They must've been really happy this winter when the Blizzard of 2011 hit our state and we got almost 3' of snow ! While we were digging caches out from under all that snow they were sippin' Pina Coladas under the palm trees !

Edited by TeamSeekAndWeShallFind

At first I was going to say weather, but that really doesn't stop me. I've cached when it was -20°F and when it was humid as all get out. I've cached during snowstorms, rainstorms, windstorms, lightning storms (ok, not tornadoes or hurricanes) and when the weather was so perfect you just want to bottle it. So, I'm willing to cache no matter what Mother Nature has in mind.

I'd have to say that an injury might be something that would keep me from getting out caching. Hard to say...I haven't suffered anything that major yet (knock on wood).

that would absolutely ruin a great day of caching for you ?

I'm sure you could probably think of a few, possibly many, but I'd like to know about your main BUMMER...your major party pooper...

My wife reminding me that I have things to fix/do around the house and that it can't wait until tomorrow!

Another vote for death by dragon.

Living just over the border from Wales, we're well aware of the very real dangers presented to unwary cachers poking around in soot stained, brimstone smelling holes on Welsh mountains, and are thankful that the River Severn and the bridge toll are enough of a deterrent that they rarely venture into English territories. :)

I'm sure you could probably think of a few, possibly many, but I'd like to know about your main BUMMER...your major party pooper...

getting thrown in the back of a police car and hauled off to jail because the cache was hid in a zero tolerance high crime area with no permission from the city of glendale.

getting thrown in the back of a police car and hauled off to jail because the cache was hid in a zero tolerance high crime area with no permission from the city of glendale.

Zero tolerance of what? :huh: Walking around in public with a funny lookin' walkie-talkie? :unsure:

Is there a story behind this or is it just a projection of what would ruin your day?

Forgive me. I work closely with LEO's and I know what a high crime area is. I just don't know what is and have never heard of a "zero tolerance high crime area."

Edited by Snoogans

An injury or getting arrested for me. Not bloody likely on the latter, but I'm one for saying never say never.

Another vote for death by dragon.

Living just over the border from Wales, we're well aware of the very real dangers presented to unwary cachers poking around in soot stained, brimstone smelling holes on Welsh mountains, and are thankful that the River Severn and the bridge toll are enough of a deterrent that they rarely venture into English territories. :)

Welsh dragons...tell me about it! Many a caching day on Lliwedd spoilt by the proximity of those smelly beasts. The OP should be glad to just risk being savaged by a raccoon.

I appreciate and respect your answer but I meant in real life.

Florida has dragons and the areas where they like to live can get rough.

alligator-at-door.jpg

boar.jpg

Edited by sbell111

Except for one, all of these answers sound like components of a great caching story to tell later!

The one answer that wouldn't make for a good story would be death, and only because if I die, I can't tell you the story!

I've had car trouble, thunderstorms, wild animals, LEO encounters, GPS failures, DNFs on 1/1 caches, mosquitoes/blackflies/ticks, and in retrospect, none of those encounters spoiled my day.

If you can't imagine caching there getting really rough, then you haven't been to Florida. You've only been to "tourist Florida."

Florida doesn't have snow or ice (mostly), and it's flat (mostly). But it also has some parts where the distinction between earth and water is sort of vague, which makes getting from point A to point B somewhat of a challenge. Throw in some vegetation that fights back when you try to go through it, and a whole bunch of critters who carry varying degrees of venom and ferocity, and caching in Florida can get really rough.

An injury to a family member that was with me. My own injuries would likely be the result of my own stupidity and as such don't really count. However, a severe injury to a family member would ruin any good experience that was happening.

Well that and the the death by dragon thing. I mean really sincerely - who wants to be scalded by fiery sulphur laden breath and then grabbed by huge claws and flown off to god only knows what cave somewhere high on a cliff??!!??

+1

...and may I add...being taken up by aliens that do not have geocaching on their planet...

If we get abducted by a set of aliens that DO have geocaches on their home world, can Groundspeak make a souvenier? That would be cool. Also, the map will have to be upgraded to represent which planets I've hit in which solar systems. Time to start coloring in that map!!!

Now, getting some crocodile to latch onto my leg or arm and doing that roll thingie where they tear off your limb, that'd be a bad experience too.

This would suck, driving really fast, cross country, at night and realizing that the shadow/black spot in front of you isn't really a shadow or a dark spot but a hole and you can't stop in time and there is no way to avoid it. I had that happen but not while geocaching. That was the most noteable night of my life.

Nothing can ruin my trip once I'm off the beaten path.

I think this answer is a reflection of a positive attitude. Hungry dragons aside, I have had many incidents occur on the caching trail that caused me to rethink that day's goal, but I saw these mostly as a continuation of my life's adventure, not as a "bummer". I paddled my sit-on-top kayak to an island in Tampa Bay during a tropical storm, which had the temerity to arrive when I wanted to hunt a cache. I've been run off by more critters than I can count. I've experienced significant injuries. I made a 700 mile round trip drive to DNF a virtual due to a road closure a few miles away from the cache. I've been left stranded by the untimely demise of a motor vehicle. None of these bummed me out, as I was off the couch, doing something I love.

Of all the responses I've seen regarding things that might bum me out, I guess Starbrand came closest.

Having a loved one get hurt would suck the fun out of any activity.

So far the only thing that has really bothered me on a hunt has been when the GPSr won't settle down. You're out in the woods and bushwhacking just a little, but the GPSr tells you that you are 10' from GZ. Then without moving you are 50' from GZ. You start to move the way it indicates, and it tells you to go the other way. It never settles down to an area you can search from. I don't know if it is my device (Gamin 60 Csx) or if this happens to others. However, I've had it happen a couple times, and it can ruin the fun in a hurry.

I can live with a search circle of 20' to 50'. But when the search area is 75' or more feet, I give up. :)

As for the dragons, they don't bother me a bit. There ain't a dragon out there that I can't slay with my Leatherman tool. :lol:

Jumping in the car and speeding off to the next county to grab a few caches, getting there and realizing I left my batteries in the charger at home...and not in my gps..

Try jumping in the car and speeding off to the next county to grab a few caches, getting there and realizing I left my GPSr at home.

The only thing that has bothered me on more than one occasion are people who think "off-leash" dog areas means "dogs can do whatever the hell they want and I will completely resent any suggestion that my dog is misbehaving." By myself, I don't much care -- but when I have my kids in tow, the 99th percentile of dog owners can really be serious SOBs about this. I love dogs and most dog owners are great, but there are a few out there who are the reason off-leash areas are harder and harder to find in the suburbs.

The sun going down. Happens to me all the time. My success rate drops precipitously after dark.

Also rain. I can handle heat, cold, snow, bugs, and thorns but if I get soaked my ambition for anything drops to near zero.

Dragons tend to leave their own alone...right? If so I'm coverd there.

If you can't imagine caching there getting really rough, then you haven't been to Florida. You've only been to "tourist Florida."

Florida doesn't have snow or ice (mostly), and it's flat (mostly). But it also has some parts where the distinction between earth and water is sort of vague, which makes getting from point A to point B somewhat of a challenge. Throw in some vegetation that fights back when you try to go through it, and a whole bunch of critters who carry varying degrees of venom and ferocity, and caching in Florida can get really rough.

Yuh! Here's some challenging Florida terrain I encountered pretty much all day with the NEFGA jeep club:

00a59487-66b2-48b9-b2a6-77b0438ca52a.jpg

36 caches in mostly 4&5 star terrain.

82c49ecb-4f24-49ab-a736-dc5bff8c4498.jpg

Yeah, it cause an abrupt end to the caching that day...

I DNF'd an event I was on the way to host in favor of an Emergency Room visit after this happened:

94602316-b275-4950-9994-7ef05d8204ac.jpg

A distracted driver (texting or on a cell phone) with NO insurance T-boned me and I then center punched the traffic light. I never got my deductable back and she never paid a dime to my insurance. <_<

When my mom is too scared to go in the water drainage tunnel under the Kohl's parking lot and she won't let me either!!! <_<

That brings back memories. Of course we didn't have Kohl's back then. I once walked close to a mile in one.

Really? I didn't know that those kind of caches had been around that long!

82c49ecb-4f24-49ab-a736-dc5bff8c4498.jpg

Yeah, it cause an abrupt end to the caching that day...

I DNF'd an event I was on the way to host in favor of an Emergency Room visit after this happened:

94602316-b275-4950-9994-7ef05d8204ac.jpg

A distracted driver (texting or on a cell phone) with NO insurance T-boned me and I then center punched the traffic light. I never got my deductable back and she never paid a dime to my insurance. <_<

Rookies.

aa93a6e1-3d0b-4f25-b945-57a669e53d0c.jpg

One has happened to me - suddenly realizing I've wandered into a patch of poison oak. I left immediately to go wash, thankfully I was in long pants and didn't get a rash but it still stopped my caching fun.

One hasn't happened (thank goodness) but if I were to be stung by a yellow jacket, I'd be making a trip to the ED after injecting myself with my epi-pen.

Dragons don't scare me at all. :ph34r: