Nuvi 500 Firmware 4.20 problems

G'day all,

Just wondering if any other Nuvi 500 users out there have had similar problems to me in pedestrian mode.

My problem exists when coming up to a cache or waypoint whilst in pedestrian mode. What happens is the direction arrow that points to GZ changes to an intersection at approx 10 metres out from the waypoint. This does not turn back into a direction arrow once passed the 10 metre mark again. It makes it sort of hard to locate a cache precisely in a given area. This only has happened since the update to firmware 4.20 with the Australia/New Zealand maps. I would like to hear if any other cachers have had this problem or is my GPSr a freak unit!

I have mine updated to the newest firmware (as of a week ago) not sure if it is 4.20 but mine is working fine. I do not use Australia/New Zealand maps so maybe that has something to do with it. Did it do this prior to the update? Maybe rolling back to the last firmware would be a good test to see if it fixes the problem. If not maybe check with Garmin support. Keep us posted!

I have rolled back to previous firmware at the present. It is currently behaving itself. Garmin want me to send the unit to them to sort out. I will do that after Easter when I am not doing so much caching :)

I was wondering if mine was an isolated case, (which I am beginning to think it is), hence the post :)

Hi

Just did a quick test to a waypoint across the street, and mine does the same thing, exactly as you describe. Switches to a road symbol with destination checkered flag and this symbol does not go a way regardless of how far you move away from GZ. This is a bug surely as in walking mode a road symbol is meaningless and not updating this to an arrow means the device is then useless for continued navigation.

How did you roll back - where are the previous versions?

Cheers

Glenn

Hi

Just did a quick test to a waypoint across the street, and mine does the same thing, exactly as you describe. Switches to a road symbol with destination checkered flag and this symbol does not go a way regardless of how far you move away from GZ. This is a bug surely as in walking mode a road symbol is meaningless and not updating this to an arrow means the device is then useless for continued navigation.

How did you roll back - where are the previous versions?

Cheers

Glenn

You can almost always find the older firmware versions on Garmins site.

You will need to email Garmin Australia and tell them how disappointed you are with their latest software update for the Nuvi 500 as far as geocaching is concerned Then ask them for a previous firmware (I think it is 3.90) where the pedestrian arrow still works.

MissyLJ did this and they sent her an old firmware for her device, also her gps is still covered under warranty, this may have had a bearing on actually getting the old firmware.

I have backed up my own Nuvi every time before I did an upgrade.

The only other way is if you have backups of your unit before you did the upgrade to 4.20 is copy your backed up GUPDATE.GCD back to your device then reboot it. It should ask you about going to a previous version. Accept this and all should be good.

************* BIG DISCLAIMER HERE ************************

*PLEASE NOTE* If you follow my instructions here and screw up your gps I will not accept any responsability for it. It is entirely your choice and risk to do this.

Wondering if you guys also now get a strange glitch where if driving with no destination set the nuvi suddenly zooms out to country level zoom and stays there. You have to manually zoom back in to street level (about 15 presses of +)! This also happens just after I reach a destination if I have one set, so is painful for wanting some map info of the location you have just arrived at.

Glenn

Thank you for starting this thread, as it looks like this is an issue that really only affects geocachers using Nuvi 500 series units. Your info helped me figure out what had happened to my GPS and hopefully will assist in getting it fixed.

I did the update this weekend and it has ruined my Nuvi 500 for Geocaching. Not having my arrow as I reach GZ makes it really hard to use this unit, which has up until now, been my favorite. I spent two hours on the phone with Garmin support earlier and although they said, at first, that they had no knowledge of this issue and that it couldn't be related to the 4.20 firmware, they later confirmed that a rollback to 3.90 should fix it. However, since my unit is no longer under warranty they would not provide a copy of the previous firmware, since it might harm the unit. Unfortunately, I did not grab a backup of my GUPDATE.GCD file before I made the update, I guess I learned a lesson there.

So, they confirmed that this is an issue with 4.20 and that the only way to fix it currently is to go back to the previous firmware, which they will only provide if your unit is still under warranty. They suggested that I might find a copy of it on the internet, but all of my searches, so far, have been fruitless.

If anyone has a copy of the 3.90 software I can use to make my unit function properly again, I would really appreciate a copy or a point in the right direction where to find it.

If anyone has a copy of the 3.90 software I can use to make my unit function properly again, I would really appreciate a copy or a point in the right direction where to find it.

I have 3.50 on my Nuvi 500 and it works perfectly fine. I will send you a PM with the link. Also if anyone else wants it just PM me and let me know!

Thank you to everyone who contacted me with advice and help. I took a chance this morning and contacted Garmin again. I got a different person today who was very helpful and after we went through the steps he had to go through he put me on hold for a while and went to find a unit that still had the 3.90 firmware. He not only sent me a copy of the firmware, but then walked me through the proper install and made sure it was functioning as expected before getting off the phone. I can confirm that rolling back to the 3.90 firmware does solve the problem and the process is fairly simple once you get the software.

Although, I normally use a Mac, I switched to a PC for this operation, since that was what he used. Of course, this is just what worked for me, I make no warranties or guarantees that this won't turn your unit into a fairly ineffective boat anchor or a moderately suitable paperweight.

Connect the unit to the PC

Open Garmin folder on Garmin device

Delete GarminDevice.xml

Delete current GUPDATE.GCD

Copy new GUPDATE.GCD to folder

Unplug unit and allow to restart.

Click yes when prompted to install older software.

After that my unit worked as expected and is once again a great geocaching gps. Thank you again to everyone here for the advice and help, by documenting the problem here, you gave me the tools and inspiration to pursue this further and to get the unti functioning properly again.