Putting out a beacon

Would someone be kind enough to explain what that means?

I have read it quite often that at ground zero the cacher "Put out a Beacon" to help narrow the search.

Thanks in advance,

Troutscott

a $20 gizmo that requires an expensive gps to use that'll be stolen shortly thereafter.

I have read it quite often that at ground zero the cacher "Put out a Beacon" to help narrow the search.

Thanks in advance,

Troutscott

I've never read that. Could you give us a GC code or two as examples?

Thanks.

Unless they really are talking about the "chirp" beacon:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=303

Edited by Pup Patrol

Thanks in advance,

Troutscott

a $20 gizmo that requires an expensive gps to use that'll be stolen shortly thereafter.

They've been about for a little while now - do you know of any that have been stolen yet?

Thanks in advance,

Troutscott

They've been about for a little while now - do you know of any that have been stolen yet?

one of the few ive seen had a log by the owner that after the 3rd or so find, the beacon was stolen

Thanks in advance,

Troutscott

one of the few ive seen had a log by the owner that after the 3rd or so find, the beacon was stolen

careless choice of location, its so tiny, if you choose a good spot, its hard to believe someone will find it unless....i rather not say it

expensive GPS?...what decent GPS isn't?

Thanks in advance,

Troutscott

careless choice of location, its so tiny, if you choose a good spot, its hard to believe someone will find it unless....i rather not say it

I put out one of the first if not THE first in the SE. Here we are at 6 months and no theft. I guess that I have had really decent cachers find mine so far, but every area has it's bad apples.

Thanks in advance,

Troutscott

I put out one of the first if not THE first in the SE. Here we are at 6 months and no theft. I guess that I have had really decent cachers find mine so far, but every area has it's bad apples.

Yep - we've had a couple out since October....and they're stilll there. But then, to be honest, I'd struggle to find it myself when I eventually need to change the battery :)