paper format log book

I wish I knew what you were talking about... do you actually write your finds down in a book?

Yes I do. This way I can remember what to write when I goto log it on geocaching.com

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Geocaching-Log-Book-Michael-Sajdak/dp/1438252145/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I9PY9DQLGVLA0&colid=12UC5PB9MS8OD

I am looking for the sheets in .pdf, word, excel, etc.

This sounds like letterboxing:

From Wikipedia:

"Finders make an imprint of the letterbox's stamp, either on their personal notebook or on a postcard, and leave an impression of their personal stamp on the letterbox's "visitors' book" or "logbook" — as proof of having found the box and letting other letterboxers know who has visited. Many letterboxers keep careful track of their 'find count'."

In geocaching you just sign the logbook in the cache and then you log it online. In letterboxing, you stamp the notebook in the box with your personal stamp and you also stamp your own notebook with the box's stamp.

Are you sure you are in the right forums? Do you letterbox or geocache? :blink:

If you are new and have a question, feel free to ask it in the "Getting Started" Forum.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=5

:)

I wish I knew what you were talking about... do you actually write your finds down in a book?

Yes I do. This way I can remember what to write when I goto log it on geocaching.com

http://www.amazon.com/Geocaching-Log-Book-Michael-Sajdak/dp/1438252145/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I9PY9DQLGVLA0&colid=12UC5PB9MS8OD

Oops! I posted right when you did, so I was confused! I have never heard of anybody doing this...

From Wikipedia:

"Finders make an imprint of the letterbox's stamp, either on their personal notebook or on a postcard, and leave an impression of their personal stamp on the letterbox's "visitors' book" or "logbook" — as proof of having found the box and letting other letterboxers know who has visited. Many letterboxers keep careful track of their 'find count'."

In geocaching you just sign the logbook in the cache and then you log it online. In letterboxing, you stamp the notebook in the box with your personal stamp and you also stamp your own notebook with the box's stamp.

If you are new and have a question, feel free to ask it in the "Getting Started" Forum.

I geocache. I write down the adventure we had finding the cache and what not. This way when I get home I can log my finds on geocaching.com.

Oh I see what you're talking about! Makes sense now, sorry about that. I personally keep all my notes like that in my PDA. However, if you'd like a PDF like that, so you could print it out, I could make you one and email it to you! Feel free to send me a PM. :) Thanks for the clarification.

From Wikipedia:

I geocache. I write down the adventure we had finding the cache and what not. This way when I get home I can log my finds on geocaching.com.

Oh ok!!

I say if this is how the OP wants to do things, that's fine! I would think if he's got a piece of paper that he takes with him it will take him about the same amount of time to write on the paper than it would to log it into his GPS as a field note, or scribble something in his PDA... why not?

I say if this is how the OP wants to do things, that's fine!

I agree completely.

To the OP : any notebook will do. But if you like a paper log that you want to keep, and perhaps record some stuff that you don't want to enter in your online log, you can make your own pages using Microsoft Excel.

If you're not sure how to do it, and have an idea of what you want the page to look like, let me know and I can create one for you.

I say if this is how the OP wants to do things, that's fine!

I agree completely.

To the OP : any notebook will do. But if you like a paper log that you want to keep, and perhaps record some stuff that you don't want to enter in your online log, you can make your own pages using Microsoft Excel.

If you're not sure how to do it, and have an idea of what you want the page to look like, let me know and I can create one for you.

Thanks for the offer Chrysalides. Nymphnsatyr have offered to make something.

For awhile I was using one of those little top-bound spiral notebooks that come five for a dollar. Nothing neat, just jotting down notes on caches / answers to puzzles / thoughts along the trail...whatever, just so I'd have my notes for logging on the computer later. I found that it fit well in my back pocket. Used that method for several hikes, etc. Then forgot about it once on a laundry cycle...all I found was a crazy bent up coil and a few wads of paper mush. Oops.

When we started out we used a note book to make notes of our impressions of the cache, what we'd traded, the time it took to find (or not)and then we realized we could use the printouts for that.

Now we're paperless (finally) and I can remember what was at each cache site today. The one exception is which one of the VLH series were the trash and skeleton at?

Wow....that seems like A LOT of extra work!

Can't you just take a little notepad and write down the GC cache code and any little extra notes that you may want to remember when you're logging your find?

I would sometimes forget which cache I put the TB in, until I started taking a picture (w/TB number visible) just outside the cache. Then if I forget, I can go back to the photo.

Same here. I let my cell phone do most of the work. I take photos and record notes. I use to use the notepad that comes with my cellphone but now I use Cachesense's field notes option.

Edited by Lone R

I think the point was that he didn't want to write it down in a notebook, he wanted a form to fill out. Anyhoo, I've made him a pdf that he can print out. Didn't cost him a dime, and I was happy to help :)

What a nice thing to do. Thank you. /thumbs up/

I used to print out the cache pages and jot notes down. I would write all the pertinent info (date, found, dnf, NM, trades, trackables, etc) on each printout. At the end of the day (or whenever we got home), I would use those annotated printouts to help me post the logs. I would then add notes like "logged", "photos uploaded", "trackable logged". (I also liked doing it that way so I could keep the printouts to look back on.)

But now I tend to just put the essential info for the caches we're going to hunt in one trip in a Notepad file. Seems to be working out so far.

Edited by Pup Patrol