Help me decide between cell phones?

I am a complete newbie to geocaching, and I am also on a budget as far as cell phones are concerned. I have decided to give Virgin Mobile a try, as $25 for unlimited text, email, data, & web is very attractive. Their selection of phones is pretty mediocre, though, and I am trying to decide between the Samsung Intercept and the LG Optimus V. After doing some digging, I have been able to ascertain that both of these have a compass and an accelerometer. (The former being obviously more important for geocaching). The Samsung is a bit faster, but the LG has a better display.

If anyone has any actual experience with either of these phones, I'd really appreciate the input.

I am a complete newbie to geocaching, and I am also on a budget as far as cell phones are concerned. I have decided to give Virgin Mobile a try, as $25 for unlimited text, email, data, & web is very attractive. Their selection of phones is pretty mediocre, though, and I am trying to decide between the Samsung Intercept and the LG Optimus V. After doing some digging, I have been able to ascertain that both of these have a compass and an accelerometer. (The former being obviously more important for geocaching). The Samsung is a bit faster, but the LG has a better display.

If anyone has any actual experience with either of these phones, I'd really appreciate the input.

Hi i have been using the LG Optimus V for a month now. I love it 25.00 a month for unlimted data. I use c:geo and the app from geocaching.com. both work well. Gps is great. Good maps, talks you right to GZ. With turn by turn. i also use a garmin gpsmap62st. But with the phone you can log from the field, Jim.

First, why apologize for being on a budget? A lot of us are. Especially these days. My whole family uses the Virgin prepaids and think it's the best phone bang for the buck. It's $100/month for four phones. Matter of fact, guys at work with contracts get kind of PO'd when my little Rumor Touch gets better internet/phone service and thier fancy 4G touch screen has no signal. :)

Back to the subject.....My wife has the Intercept Android. A while back I was curious about using it for geocaching. Downloaded the c:geo app and tried it on a coulple of local caches. Was quite impressed. First, it gave me spoken driving directions with a compass screen, then it put me within less than 10' of both caches. One was shown to be only 4' away on the phone. It was actually 3' away. It's not my phone, so I killed the c;geo app after trying it.

A note on that phone. When she first got it it was a battery hog. Virgin recently auto upgraded it to Android 2.2 and it's like a different phone now, battery-wise.

First, why apologize for being on a budget? A lot of us are. Especially these days. My whole family uses the Virgin prepaids and think it's the best phone bang for the buck. It's $100/month for four phones. Matter of fact, guys at work with contracts get kind of PO'd when my little Rumor Touch gets better internet/phone service and thier fancy 4G touch screen has no signal. :)

I also have a Rumor Touch. Have you found any apps to work on that phone for geocaching? I am scouring the internet to find one. I tried Locify, and it will run, but will not run the GC service, I always get an error message.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have the Optimus V on virgin mobile. As an Android phone, I think it works great. We used it last night for the first time geocaching....once we got under some foliage, it wasn't as accurate as our Garmin Vista HCx, but using c:geo and google maps was pretty nice. I had heard negative things about the intercept (at least while running android 2.1), so I waited until the Optimus came out and have been really happy. On a funny note, I was out with a coworker one night...she had the optimus s on sprint....so basically the same phone, and same network....my phone had better reception and loaded maps, etc faster. funny.

Am going again this afternoon and we'll see how the Optimus goes head-to-head against the Garmin again.