You Pick your Post Cointest

EyeD10T

Day 3, post #3

I really, really, really wish that the mod's would allow for a thread to be posted (and maybe pinned at the top of geocoin discussions?) for people to introduce themselves. A "Hi, my name is Craig and I'm from New Zealand and I've just started collecting geocoins" sort of thread. (Tried to get them to allow one a number of years ago but they wouldn't because "It's not related to geocoins")

A few of us kept trying by saying about how this was a community of people and we'd like to know a little about who is here, but nope - no go. :(

So I got around it by starting a cointest thread for people to introduce themselves in :)

One of the rules I set on it was that to be eligible for the geocoin prize you couldn't own too many geocoins already - it was designed to draw the lurkers out of lurking and to introduce themselves, and to give new arrivals somewhere to be welcomed by the rest of us.

Since re-starting this cointest I have softened the rules somewhat as ANYONE is welcome to post in the thread, introduce themselves, ask a questions, answer a question, whatever. I will, however, only include those with no or only a few geocoins in the cointest draw... that reminds me - I've been a bit slack and must go draw a winner for March! :o:laughing:Someone has been discretely reminding me that I need to do so.

Day 3, Post #4

In the past I have been part of several geocoin projects (GeoJellies 1,2,3 and Big Bean; GeoTag's), but have not produced my own personal geocoin. So my big geocoin objective for this year is to produce my very own personal geocoin... I've put quite a bit of thought into it and have a really good feel for the design and what it will look like. I have a couple of quick sketches of the layout and how some of the elements will work, and for some of the different version (finishes) I will get minted. I need to dedicate some time to getting details drawings done and raising the funds to do it.

It will be quite some way off, so wish me luck! :)

I haven't posted very much in this thread, but I thought I would add a conversation that I had with my little brother (who is also a cacher, and a Lt in the US Navy):

Dave: I'm thinking of going geocaching in NC on Saturday. Weather and mood dependent.

Me: Mood should be a non-issue. I am ALWAYS in the mood to cache!

Dave: yeah...it would take something pretty extreme to make me not in the mood to cache. but it would be more a matter of "i'm not in the mood to drive down to the Outer Banks" rather than "I'm not in the mood to cache."

Apparently, we are on the same page...I am in the mood to cahce regardless of the time, weather, etc...

time for my today's post....

I have a huge number of posts in the forums (according to the year I was registered.... right?) because I have lots of fun by posting here! :D I have so many good friends to talk!! :D I just love it!

Right now.. I have... more or less... 7000 posts more from the next greek cacher.... oh boy... I talk too much right?? :laughing:

but... the greatest is that by that i remembered my english!! I had stopped learning in 1991-92.... so I was rusty! by posting here, and learning from my spelling and grammar mistakes (but I am still doing some...), I managed to take the state certificate of english (it is a greek certificate), with the highest score in whole greece for November 2010.... 94 out of 100! Not bad!! :D this will surelly help me in finding a job easier.... So.. I owe a lot in you guys!!! thank you!!!! :D

ok... back to photos...

here is on our way to a beautiful cache in Lindos!!! Lindos is an ancient city, one of the 3 ancient cities (Kamiros, Lindos, Ialysos) who joined together and created Rhodes City back in 408BC!

here is me and my sister... on the back you can see the acropolis of Lindos! It is an ancinet acropolis that during the medieval times, the knights of Rhodes (later Malta's) built castle. it is very famous!!!

DSC01267.jpg

on the way to the cache... a medieval windmill.... these mills.... and the ones you will see in the city of rhodes, during a war (in the medieval times) or a siege... were turned into gunpowder mills!

DSC01285.jpg

close to the cache.... an amazing ancient greek tomp! yes! that's a grave!!! it is called the tomp of Kleovoulos, (one of the 7 sages of the ancient world... who was from Lindos), but this is wrong... the tomp is much older and probably belonged to a very rich and famous ancient Lindian family

DSC01316.jpg

Wow nikos..... You know I actually had considered that this forum.... Or any forum for that matter would be a great aid

in learning/keeping up with a language.... Specially in the slang department. I know that part of the problem with a non-native speaker is that normally, they don't word their sentences the way that a native speaker would.... Albeit, their language skills are more formal and grammatically correct than most native speakers.... It just sounds funny. I know that I need to do the same as you nikos and find a foreign language based forum. Kudos nikos!

Wow nikos..... You know I actually had considered that this forum.... Or any forum for that matter would be a great aid

in learning/keeping up with a language.... Specially in the slang department. I know that part of the problem with a non-native speaker is that normally, they don't word their sentences the way that a native speaker would.... Albeit, their language skills are more formal and grammatically correct than most native speakers.... It just sounds funny. I know that I need to do the same as you nikos and find a foreign language based forum. Kudos nikos!

*thank you goosefraba1 my friend! Yes! it is very helpful! if you find something like that.. (you can even try this in one of the forums of geocaching... from other areas...) and you know some basic of the language... after some time you will see the difference!!! :)

**mooncat & kdt.... every post is excellent if it follows the rules of the cointest... so... you are doing great! :D

Keep on!! :D

Now... my last post here for today.....

It is way too difficult to find many caches... because I mostly live in Rhodes! I am not travelling a lot... So.. I do not think I will ever see my finds go in a 4 digit number for sure!!!

I am close to my first goal... the 50 finds... I have 39 and I am missing 2... so.. I am close...

my next will be quite difficult and will take many years... and it will be the 100 finds...

Second post:

KDT just got laid off, and as irritating as that is I guess the good outcome is that we have more caching time! He works for a Toyota supplier so the tsunami has even hit us here.

We are planning on an outing on Tuesday starting around 1pm, which when he was working would have never been possible. Meh, the glass is half full, right? ...

I have been to/seen several earthcaches.... but I haven't yet logged one because it is rare for me to have both a GPSr and a camera on me simultaneously <_< I guess that I need to step it up and get a couple. They normally are the neater sites... and I am really interested in geology.

here is a beautiful place where a cache is!! It is in rhodes and I had no idea that it even existed!!!

I will always thank the cachers who placed the cache there (it is very close to this Ark), for showing us the place, and for helpong us discover a great place to collect snails, plus an amazing beach to swimm!!!! WOW!!! No, the beach is not near the ark.... it is at the beggining of the trail...

1-2.jpg

the cacher who placed the cache is Homer Jay!!! :)

Edited by GATOULIS

here is a beautiful place where a cache is!! It is in rhodes and I had no idea that it even existed!!!

I will always thank the cachers who placed the cache there (it is very close to this Ark), for showing us the place, and for helpong us discover a great place to collect snails, plus an amazing beach to swimm!!!! WOW!!! No, the beach is not near the ark.... it is at the beggining of the trail...

1.jpg

Looks kind of like two horses kissing... actually make that two camels :)

Edited by goosefraba1

in one of my caching adventures... I saw a guy who was illigally searching ancient things with medal ditector, in an ancient place! I yealled at him... because what he was doing was not right... he stoped looked at me but when he saw that I was not alone he left quickly... I lost him behind some rocks....

I reported this in archeology.... and the archeologists thanked me and said that what I did was very dangerous because these guy may had a gun! Oups! :unsure:

1-2.jpg

Looks kind of like two horses kissing... actually make that two camels :)

hahahaha!!!

The photo is not mine! unfortunatelly... the photos we took in many caches.... were lost when my PC died! :(

Edited by GATOULIS

but... the greatest is that by that i remembered my english!! I had stopped learning in 1991-92.... so I was rusty! by posting here, and learning from my spelling and grammar mistakes (but I am still doing some...), I managed to take the state certificate of english (it is a greek certificate), with the highest score in whole greece for November 2010.... 94 out of 100! Not bad!! :D this will surelly help me in finding a job easier.... So.. I owe a lot in you guys!!! thank you!!!! :D

That is absolutely GREAT Nikos!!! I always knew that you had a very good command of the english language and now the Greek government knows it too! :D

I took French a long long time ago. I don't think though I could do what you have done and go into a french forum and make myself understood the way you have here. Way to Go!!

Thank you LB! :D

Ok... time for my 3rd post for today...

I love mystery coins as everybody I suppose! I have some and I adore them! :D

in an icon coinest of a mystery cacher, I won and I received an extremelly rare version of his coin!! I am talking about the Mr Gray mystery geocoin! You all probably know the silver (or nickel?) version of it.... but there were also 2 coins in Gold! one was kept by Mr Gray and the other one is here in Rhodes! I was so happy but when I received his letter... I was deeply deeply honored... when I saw that he snet me... #001!!!!!!! WOW!!!

DSC00477.jpgDSC00474.jpg

Hmmm.... Post #2 today.... I have been on these forums/caching for about 2 years now... and NOW I'm officially a premium member! I have crossed the fence... and I'm in a greener pasture! WooHOOooo... and I see a DOUBLE RAINBOW!

I now realize that I could have used that $30 on a a couple of coins... but it needed to be done for the greater good... plus I get a couple bonuses :rolleyes:

That is all now :unsure:

Post 1 for today..

I did a couple of hunts in the rain today and dropped off my Look Twice geocoin that I attached to a toy motorcycle that I recieved in my $2.48 thread.

For those who haven't read the thread I had $2.48 in my paypal account.I offered to trade $2.48 of the most random items I could find on ebay for a coin/TB.

The first was sent to Write Shop Robert (a belly button lint brush! and one more item that's on it's way) and I got the look twice geocoin in exchange.

The second was a plumbrokeacres coin that is in their cache waiting to be moved. I just sent off their $2.48 items (check out the thread to see the items!)

I decided it was so much fun that if anyone else wants $2.48 of randomness in exchange for something I'm game. It takes a bit but it's amusing.. :D

Edited by sheltiedogshowlover

Happy Easter to all! :D

first post for today....

I read goosefraba's post about the premioum membership and I just had to write about mine....

Sunsetmeadowlark and her mother had given me a surprice gift by paying a whole year of premioum membership!!! WOW!!!

thank you so much Ronni!! I miss your posts girl! :D

post 2....

photos from a beautiful cache in rhodes! the place has many crabs, frogs and the extremelly rare (you can find it only here in rhodes), gizzani fish! actually up there I saw the biggest sized ones ever, and imagine that these fishes are tiny!!!

I loved it...

DSC01323.jpg

DSC01339.jpg

DSC01342.jpg

On our way back I had a brilliant idea.... to play with the frogs! :D well.. my mobile phone fell in the water! huh!!

I was quite lucky and the waterhole was not deep! I retrieved the mobile immediatelly but it was off... I dryed it and.... it worked!! WOW!! :)

once I droped a coin here... a coin that belonged to a good friend...who sent me one to travel and one to keep.. (actually he sent 2 different for me... and one traveller). I placed it in a cache but it was stollen before it even start its travels! :( I felt so sad!! I asked him if I could replace the traveller with the one I had... but he said no and it was ok... at that time, all coins that were in the cache was stollen! :(

the poor coin was starting its journey from Rhodes island in greece and it was going to Rhode island in USA! huh! :(

when geocoin bunny mystery eggs were out.... I read that they could be found only in a cache!

People started finding these eggs but I was almost sure that it wouldn't come any here....

one day I was checking a cache and saw a yellow plastic egg next to the cache... in the hole of a tree!! I was so happy!!! one ofthe eggs visited Rhodes!!! hahaha.... ok.... it turned out to be just a simple plastic egg and not the one I wanted! hahahaha.... but... Easter bunny was very kind and... some weeks later.. I found one! :D

Happy easter everyone! I had to work today so no easter caching.. but perhaps I'll do some on my day off on Tues if the weather is nice.

We've officially had 6 months of snow here in Cananadaigua NY. It can stop now..lol.

We've got you beat - 8 months here.

I have yet to cache in the summer, that should be interesting and bring it's own challenges.

Hello to all! :D

today's post 1

Last year we went to a place in southern Rhodes to collect wild strawberries.... we call them Koumara!

there was a cache there so.. I went to check it... evertyhing was ok....

here you can see the koumara... and on my next post... you will see what else I found......

picture00051.jpg

picture00052.jpg