You Pick your Post Cointest

EyeD10T

Day 1, Post #4

The other thing I must do over easter is sort out my Heifer Tags and get them activated, set up and ready to go.

For those who don't know what I am talking about, Jackalgirl is organising The Great Cow Tag Race in conjunction with Moozer. There are 2 "categories" of tags you can buy - one lot are Racer Cows and are being released at the 2011 Sonoma County GeoRally. You buy a tag and it gets sent to Moozer to be released at the GeoRally.

The second category of tags are ones you can buy and get shipped to you that you then activate and release. There are race/game categories for these too.

And the great thing is that some money from the sale of each tag goes to Heifer International! So go have a look at the thread on these and then go buy some Cow Tags to join in the fun!!

Your own tags can be got at Jackalgirl's grafikato shop.

I hope no one considers this hijacking EyeD10T's thread - it just one of the things I am up to this weekend and it relates to geocaching, and it's for a great cause. :)

I'll consider this my first post for today!

This actually reminded me to go and buy mine! I had wanted to buy one a while ago but my net book for some reason wouldn't let me.. so I tried today at work..it worked...so I ordered mine! Watch out cows! Here comes SORELLA! :D

Day 2, Post 2.

My husband and I started caching this year after the judge at our agility trial that I am the chair of mentioned it while we were at the judges dinner.

He was saying that this was a lovely area (Canandaigua NY) and that he would bring his significant other back to do some caching here because there were tons in the area.

I went right home and looked up the site and joined. The next weekend I wanted to go out and look for a few. My husband was game since we love scavenger hunts and such and out we went.

Of course I picked a weekend where we had just gotten a ton of snow..and the first one we read seemed like it was so easy...but a giant plowed in snow bank where it was meant we had to post a DNF.. the second one said it was difficult and it was.. another DNF (that one got taken down the next week).. and the third one we had to hike across a park in knee deep snow only to have to log a 3rd DNF due to the snow.

Looking back it's kinda amazing we actually kept going.. :lol:

Day 2 post 3

*It's a small world*

After our first hunt with 3 DNF's We actually kept geocaching largely in part to the fact that the same week we met a friend for dinner at our fav mexican resturaunt in the area and mentioned geocaching.. he apparently had been caching for a long time and before we could even order food we were out the door looking for caches.

It turned into a "find a cache, have a beer" night. I think we found 3 that night and I was hooked! :D

Sadly my favorite one that night has been taken down. It was a cache that was meant to show you a little piece of history and it mentioned my madien name!

Day 1, Post #4

The other thing I must do over easter is sort out my Heifer Tags and get them activated, set up and ready to go.

For those who don't know what I am talking about, Jackalgirl is organising The Great Cow Tag Race in conjunction with Moozer. There are 2 "categories" of tags you can buy - one lot are Racer Cows and are being released at the 2011 Sonoma County GeoRally. You buy a tag and it gets sent to Moozer to be released at the GeoRally.

The second category of tags are ones you can buy and get shipped to you that you then activate and release. There are race/game categories for these too.

And the great thing is that some money from the sale of each tag goes to Heifer International! So go have a look at the thread on these and then go buy some Cow Tags to join in the fun!!

Your own tags can be got at Jackalgirl's grafikato shop.

I hope no one considers this hijacking EyeD10T's thread - it just one of the things I am up to this weekend and it relates to geocaching, and it's for a great cause. :)

I'll consider this my first post for today!

This actually reminded me to go and buy mine! I had wanted to buy one a while ago but my net book for some reason wouldn't let me.. so I tried today at work..it worked...so I ordered mine! Watch out cows! Here comes SORELLA! :D

Thanks for the reminder... I just ordered 2 for myself and 1 for the race. Rock on MooJuice!

As I'm assuming most of you don't know much about me, here's some interesting info about my day-to-day life :)

I am a production manager for a DRTV production company. To simplify that, I make infomercials. Yes, I am responsible for many of those late night super cheesy shows you dont want to watch, but it's like a trainwreck and you can't look away. I have a lot of fun in my job, and have come across some very.... Interesting..... Types of products. I've decided to start planning out a series of caches called the DRTV series. Each cache will be dedicated to a spot I have done (no sales or anything like that, will not be used as advertisement). I'm thinking of using it as a 'guess the product' type of thing using a tagline we gave it while shooting.

My first two cache ideas are called

'DRTV Series - Bad idea Jeans'

'DRTV Series - Second Last Shot'

The very 1st time I went caching with a visiting relative who wanted a couple of finds in Ca. We found a geocoin. It was a very plain copper colored coin. He took it with him back up to BC Canada. A few days later I registered and began my own hunting ( my 18 year old son has now caught the bug and we are enjoying more time together) trips. Just a couple of days ago I noticed the many different coins out there and was blown away by how beautiful some of them are. I am thinking about 1 in particular that if I buy it I want to put a small hole (don't hate) and wear it a a necklace.

Gatoulis.... is not one guy!!! :D Actually I started alone but after that... my sister and my brother in law joined and we created a team! in that team I can count my parents too! many times my father comes with me and he actually found some caches first! :D All are under my name... gatoulis! :)

I edit to write that.... 99.9% of the posts here are mine of course! :D my sister wrote 1 or 2 times only...

Edited by GATOULIS

the first geocoin I found in a cache was the Uckermark 2006 geocoin in AG! I loved it!

I was so lucky to find a shaped coin as my first one! I became friend with the owners who... sent me a surprise pack with things to start geocaching, and as a present.. one of the uckermark brother's! I still have it in my collection!

Unfortunatelly the one I found was lost after a long trip! I was so sad what I saw it marked as missing....

Day 2 post 4.. last one for today! :D

mr8jvc.jpg

I recieved my first packages today with coins I will be keeping. I decided to narrow my geocoins to dog themed ones (since if you couldn't tell I'm a dog person lol)

The one that's not dog themed is the "Darkest Before Dawn" coin. It's stunning.. I had to order it since my dog Dawn was the one who got me through my toughest times.. so I think it still fits my theme :anitongue:

I saw an article in the Detroit Free Press in August 2005 about geocaching. Two teams took the reporter on a cache hunt in a park very close to my home. I thought the concept sounded pretty cool and that it would get me out of the house. I did my research, found an inexpensive unit and when it arrived I was ready to give it a try. I later met the two teams from the article and told them that was how I found out about caching. However, they told me that because of the article, all the caches in the city had to be archived. The park manager had changed and he didn't want any caches in "his" parks. The owner of that cache had permission from the previous park manager but they didn't care what the previous guy has okayed. Sadly they were all pulled. Soooo that article resulted in new cachers but less caches in my home town.

from a cache find.... in prasonisi...

Prasonisi is a small island that is connected to Rhodes with a sand road! Of course... during winter... the road is under water and the stream there is strong!!!

What you see... is the end of Rhodes... from prasonisi!

picture00103.jpg

picture00104.jpg

a beautiful lighthouse... near the cache...

picture00109.jpg

a strange old grave??? I am wondering who was buried here!!!

picture00111.jpg

The cache's name is from lighthouse to lighthouse and I am co-owner! :)

very close to my house... is a cache... and lots of history....

Temple of Apollo

picture00101.jpg

picture00098.jpg

the iron parts are from the restoration during the Italian occupation of the islands...

picture00100.jpg

ancient small theatre... it is actually an odeum

picture00102.jpg

ancient stadium

picture00099.jpg

Everything is dated back to 2nd century BC. so... it is a quite interesting place to visit and.. find the cache right? ;)

Day 2, Post 3

I am going to make a new Trackable called Son of keewee and he is going to travel to the USA to attend GWIX, hopefully with some goodies to give or trade :)

So if you are going to GWIX, please look out for Son of keewee and say a big hi!!

Edited by keewee

Day 2, Post #2

This is My Car the Travel Bug which normally gets dipped into caches as we go also. It is usually a very, very, very tight fit, but luckily most caches we visit seem to act as Tardis's when dipping My Car the Travel Bug into them. :laughing:

20e84c90-432e-4513-a124-793123291b27.jpg

Lucky this trackable hasn't gone missing yet!!! Is is most certainly not labeled as collectable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhh that gives me a GREAT idea!! I will make my cachemobile a TB and then maybe it WILL go missing! I actually would welcome that LMAO

I figured I'd share the log from my 1000th find at GC2MQ0X, where I dropped an appropriately themed coin. :) Thanks for the cointest.

March 31 by kungfuhippie (1078 found)

1000 :) s! We did it.

Arrr, that Cap'n Goldie be devious, mischievous & all-round excellent cache hider. Some may think me over-confident and insane to attempt to sail this one with the wee ones along, but I had set this as my goal for #1000. Our ship set sail from the pirate port of Madison in the early morn and headed into the sun. Before long, it was time to tackle this beastie - note to self (when the description says it's a multi and you look for the final at WP1, you run the risk of looking like an idiot!) The crew disembarked at one of our favorite ports of call and immediately set out towards WP1. There was some confusion due to the early hour rum session, but eventually that got sorted. I posted the older geo-pirate as lookout, while the little monkey and I attempted to plunder the needed info. There were visions of a watery grave for us all, but we had success. Off to WP2, were the scallywags before us had laid false trails to keep us from our rightful treasure. We fought through the deception and came away with another piece of the puzzle, which led us to WP3. Ahh a water trick you say, we've got a trick. At this point there was an attempt to convince the crew that lowering them to our prize was the best idea. Here the crew mutinied and forced me to walk the plank right into the drink. So there I be, one monkey strapped to my chest and one in my arms braving the shark filled waters to secure my map. As we prepared for the return trip, I heard a commotion and spotted a muggle who was obviously confused at the scene presented to him. A wave and a splash later and we were back aboard. Luckily due to some inside pirate info, there was a fresh change of uniform for me. Onwards to the final, were we traded some treasures and left a Legendary Cachekinz, it seemed the perfect place for a sea monster to hang out.

Thanks for an awesome cache to use as my milestone, now it's off to explain to the wife what we did today! Played pirates boys, leave it at that... A little known fact: Pirates & Hippies are distantly related. Dirty dreadlocks, rum, different idea about personal possessions...hmmm. Now where's my rum! Glad to join this crew of swashbucklers that have finished the adventure.

One of the things I love in geocaching is that I finally understood... what all these crazy tourists do far away from civilization... on the top of hils... etc! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Just imagine that you do not know the game at all... and you go in a place that is far far away, in an area that is difficult etc and you just see 2 strangers and probably tourists.. there (in the middle of nowhere!!) trying to climb a rock ....to go where??? :laughing:

Now I am one of these crazy guys and I love it!!! :laughing:

we have a great hill here... called fillerimos! there are ancient ruins there from the acropolis of the city of Iallysos, and byzantine and medieval buildings! there is a beautiful Monasteri of the medieval times and a byzantine fort...

Up there you can see probably the tallest orthdox cross in the world... and if you are lucky... you may see the door open and go up on the arms of the cross! the view is amazing!!!

Near there, there is a cache too! the whole place is a beauty of nature with lots of trees and green, and there are also some beautiful cache guardians..... peacocks!! :D One day and while I was there to check the cache (according to a log the cache was muggled).... I managed to come so close to a male one who was showing his beautiful tail.... I almost touched him!!

the photos are from my mobile so they are not so good....

picture00057.jpg

picture00062.jpg

picture00060.jpg

picture00061.jpg

ok... not so geocaching related... but this photo was taken in a place that is close to a cache! I went to check the cache of my good friend eric, and then we all went to the church of Panagia Tsambika! there I found a small sparrow (not Jack Sparrow!!!) who probably had fallen from the nest! he was not a baby, he had feathers but he couldn't fly yet!

The little guy came close to me and when I put my hand close he jumped in! I played a little with him, I tried to find his nest but it was too tall, I gave him food (tiny pieces like what his mother would probably had done) and then I tried to leave him away from me so his mother can come!

the little guy started yelling and followed me again!!! We stayed for a long time there until some other sparrows started making moves and flying around us! we realised that these were probably his parents or relatives! :) he was responding too! So we left him and... when we went 2 metres away, many sparrows came down and took him!!!! yes! they took him!!! I have never seen something like that before!!! they took him up on the tree!

I was lucky enought to keep a photo of him siting on my finger!!! hahaha

picture00056.jpg

I was in the happy possision to say that I found all the caches in my island 2-3 times! of course.. after that... I was just visiting the caches when I could....

Right now.. I am missing 2 and in one.. I am the maintaner!

Well... I hope it is still there... I have to swim to go and find it... it is in a small rock island close to the beach..

The other is in a vilage about 60-70 km from here... I hope I will find them soon, so I can say again... I have them all! :D

Post 1 for today.

*Small world post*

After first time out caching our friend posted a photo of me with my favorite cache of that is now no more.

I went into teach my rally obedience class a couple of weeks ago and after class one of my students came up to me and asked to talk to me quickly.. she had a few questions. I was worried.. what did I do wrong?

She said she had just logged into the geocaching website and thought she saw a photo of me... I laughed and said it was indeed me and she asked me all sorts of questions about geocaching.. phone app's.. etc.

Now every week we compare notes. She found her first TB this week and is excited to see it move.

I'm actually hoping I can get together with her for some geodog caching. :D

Post #2 for today

*Small World Post*

I found a travel bug in a cache and was talking about my adventures with my co-worker who has two boys that I'm sure would love to do some geocaching. A nurse over heard me say geocaching and florida in the same breathe while she was walking by and stopped dead in her tracks. She came over and said (in a secret whisper) I geocache.. and I'm going to florida.. and kept moving..

My co-worker looked at me confused and I laughed. I held onto it for a couple of weeks and hopefully she'll be taking it on her travels to Florida shortly.

Post 3 for today

*Small world Post*

I was at the state fair grounds for a dog show and of course had to do some geocaching since there are 3 at the site. The judge that got me into geocaching mentioned there was a cache a few feet from the ring I was standing in so he convinced me I had enough time to find it before my agility course was built.

So I got my GPS and found it in no time. Well the breeder of my dog was super confused as to why I would run off outside while they were building the course.(it doesn't take long and normally I'm just standing there nervous waiting for them to be done)She guessed my dog had to go to the bathroom.

But When I came back in GPS in hand instead of a poop bag she realized what I was doing and laughed. Her son who's a boyscout has been caching for years (and I had no clue) and has some caches in the area I live in that I'll of course have to find now. :D

Post 4 for today

I can't talk about my favorite cache in detail.. but I went with my husband to drop off my first geocoin on it's travels at a fairly easy cache on a beautiful day and convinced him to do a puzzle cache that was near by with me.

It was a very tough one and we were ready to give up.. GPS said we were on top of it and couldn't find it.. we both said let's go.. took a drink of water.. and being stubborn looked around again.. and both questioned something at the same time.. and both said No way..

He showed his love and shimmed into a spot he shouldn't have with his very low tread combat boots on and we were right! (mind you he's 6'5 around 260) Found the first leg and then on to the second leg where a VERY LARGE spider had made her home in the back of the cache container. Wish I had had my camera on me because a patch that was left by someone was woven into her web.. I very carefully logged the cache without disturbing the spider and moved on.

This cache made me smile. I wish I could say more about it... I just wish there were more out there like it!

Edited by sheltiedogshowlover

Day 3... post 1

Here's a pic of a lizard that my wife and I saw last year while Easter caching...

d1564e97-7b83-49e5-9ec5-b60ae9a693e0.jpg

I didn't even know that we had lizards that big around here... and it was very spikey... and red?

I really wanted to take it home... but realized that it would be for the best if I left it in its own environment there on the big rock.

Edit: Just found that it is a Northern Fence Lizard... and I remember thinking that it was about 8 inches long

Edited by goosefraba1

Day 3 (I think) - well third day I've posted, post #1

Lately I've been putting some time into writing content for a Wordpress website I created call keewee's All About Geocoins.

The reason behind it was that the same questions are being asked in these forums again and again and again - it seems that no one (well very few people) actually try to find answers for themselves these days. At one stage I answered the same question 3 times in 4 days from 3 different people!!!

So I thought 'bugger that! - I'll create a website with a questions and answer section for the commonly asked questions' - and that evening I spent a number of hours getting the site setup and structured and many, many hours since putting the content in.

It's a long way from being remotely finished, and it will never, ever be finished and I hope to keep updating the content in there.

So anyone whose keen should have a look and please give me feedback - constructive criticism is welcome! (Note that there are not many images there at the moment, I wanted to concentrate on content and will start getting more images in there soon) :)

Day 3, Post #2:

Does anyone else find the whole confusion over the 'This item is Collectible' option on the tracking page and the fact that Groundspeak haven't address it annoying? Man, I sure do!!!!

To create something so ambiguous that people interpret as meaning different things. Sheeesh!