Group finds

When caching with a group of people what approach do you use for finds.

1. The first person who locates it retrieves it and everyone signs the log.

2. The first person who locates it retrieves it and only they sign the log since the others really didn't find it.

3. Each individual locates it on there own and stops looking but doesn't retrieve it until everyone has located it or given up then those who located it sign the log.

2. The first person who locates it retrieves it and only they sign the log since the others really didn't find it.

3. Each individual locates it on there own and stops looking but doesn't retrieve it until everyone has located it or given up then those who located it sign the log.

I'd say generally, most of the time, No. 3. I suppose it would depend on the situation, like if it were an LPC in a parking lot, but I don't have any experience in that area. :D

Insufficient options. :rolleyes:

4. Each individual locates it on there own and stops looking but doesn't retrieve it until everyone has located it and then the log is signed with the team name. Online logs are done under the individual names but mention the team name.

In my area, most of us use 5 - the finder signs the log for eveyone. If it is a large group, we generally use a group name. As a CO I prefer people who find a cache together to sign it together to conserve on log space (unless it is a large notebook in an ammo can that few visit) to reduce maintenance.

But if you don't know how everyone wants to do it, it is generally a good idea to get a consensus before you head out. And different considerations will be in play if it is an impromptu group that just happens to meet at a cache site.

Edited by mulvaney

Often 1, but sometimes we pass the log around and everyone signs it. #2 is silly. #3 is impractical.

There are some cachers out there who refuse to claim a find unless they find it first...its not as fun to cache with these folks IMHO. What are they going to do, come back in 4 months and hope they have forgotten where it was?

Edited by lamoracke

There are some cachers out there who refuse to claim a find unless they find it first...its not as fun to cache with these folks IMHO.

Three is grounds for murder. It's about as fun as standing in line to renew a driver's license.

It depends on the cache and the group. In general, if the hides are interesting, I prefer a variant of 3: Each individual locates it, walks away and says "found it" (or "huckle buckle beanstalk", or whatever), and waits for the others to find it. After a while, the others either give up or ask for hints. The hints start small, but get bigger over time. Then someone retrieves the cache and signs for everyone, including any who gave up without finding it individually. And no, it isn't impractical at all.

Quite often the #5 method -- the finder puts everyone's name in the log.

Usually the person will ask "Want me to sign you in?" and unless the cache is something special and everyone wants to sign in themselves the answer is usually "Go ahead."

I've done the #3 method a couple of times and found it painful. Either I spot it and have to waste time waiting for others, or everyone else has found it and is wasting time waiting for me. It reminds me of being picked last for sports -- look, can we just get this over with?

The only time I play a variation of #2 is if there is a FTF involved. If I am not the first person to spot the container I won't count it as a FTF but I still certainly will claim the Find.

#5 The easy ones are easy and no one cares. It is helpful to have lots of eyes for the more difficult hides. The biggest group search I have ever been a part of was 11 people going after a FTF. We had all looked for it separately or in small groups, but finally decided to team up. It still took 20 minutes and one person finally found it. In that case it would have been impractical and stupid to make everyone else find it individually.

Usually #1...I like the social aspect of this option...I have participated in option #3 a couple times...and to me it just becomes a big competition and no longer fun...

I agree with Briansnat...once the group becomes a bit larger (about 10+), #3 becomes a bit impractical...or people start watching each other just so they are not the last to find...