Changing names of Garmin maps?

You need to be careful there. What kind of GPS do you have? Only newer GPSs can handle renamed mapsets.

You also need to be clear on what you mean by a mapset. You can have a compiled img that has various imgs combined which you can rename. Or you can have img files installed on your computer into MapSource/BaseCamp (which you then use to combine the img files and send to your GPS. You cannot rename those img files. I cannot tell which you are talking aobut.

Should be able to left click on the file while still in the PC and left click it again to edit the name like you would edit any other file name. Then when its uploaded to the GPSr it should have the new name.

I know how to change the filename. that does not effect how the GPS sees it.

You need to be careful there. What kind of GPS do you have? Only newer GPSs can handle renamed mapsets.

You also need to be clear on what you mean by a mapset. You can have a compiled img that has various imgs combined which you can rename. Or you can have img files installed on your computer into MapSource/BaseCamp (which you then use to combine the img files and send to your GPS. You cannot rename those img files. I cannot tell which you are talking about.

I have a Dakota 20. As for map set I generated one map of Korea and another of Turkey, Jordan and Egypt. But the GPS sees them but they have the same name under enable/disable maps in the dakota 20 control panel. When I download it from OSM it is a .img file which is already compiled, correct?

Edited by releasethedogs

If you really need it to be differnet on the GPS enable menu, this MIGHT work: Instead of using the already compiled map, run the installer to install it in MapSource. Select all of Korea in MapSource, where it says map set name under the selected imgs, write Korea. Send to your GPS, rename the img on your gps to Korea.img. Run the installer for the other maps, and repeat. It should have the mapset names, but the the maps names under it may be Korea and Egypt on the other,

One of the sites which provides OSM data uses the same Family ID number and probably the same mapset name for every file it distributes. Makes it easier for them, but when a user needs more than one area/file, you see the downside of doing so. Also the increase in allow mapset names, sizes and memory size is making what was of little concern on the units available two years ago not work so good now.

I have a Dakota 20. As for map set I generated one map of Korea and another of Turkey, Jordan and Egypt. But the GPS sees them but they have the same name under enable/disable maps in the dakota 20 control panel. When I download it from OSM it is a .img file which is already compiled, correct?

Was the filename for each of the maps (Korea, Turkey etc) you downloaded named gmapsupp.img?

Was the filename for each of the maps (Korea, Turkey etc) you downloaded named gmapsupp.img?

Yes.

There is a way to do this, it does mean using the command line.

download the Mac version of gmt from http://www.anpo.republika.pl/download.html and extract it

run it like

gmt -w -m "NEW DISPLAY NAME" imgfilename.img

then copy it the GPS as before.

AHHHHH! If there is one thing I fear it is clowns. If there is something I fear more than clowns it is Death. If I fear anything more than clowns and death is is spiders. If I fear anything more than clowns, death and spiders it is DOS. I fear command lines because I was born with a one button mouse in my hand. is there a tutorial or something?

AHHHHH! If there is one thing I fear it is clowns. If there is something I fear more than clowns it is Death. If I fear anything more than clowns and death is is spiders. If I fear anything more than clowns, death and spiders it is DOS. I fear command lines because I was born with a one button mouse in my hand. is there a tutorial or something?

GMT command line text instructions

http://www.mediafire.com/?fbezaip7atqi5pp

Create a working directory and place gmapsupp.img, gmt.exe in it.

Command prompt sequence to rename map name with GMT...in Windows. Same in Mac???

Once you split the gmapsupp create a list.txt file with file names of maps to join ie as in illustration below 63240001.img - 63240002.img etc and place in working directory before you run the gmt -j (join command)

CommandPrompt.jpg

OSM original Korea map name in Garmin GPS

OSMOriginal.jpg

OSM modified name Korea map in Garmin GPS

OSMMod.jpg

Edited by rws

W000000000000000000000! I will try this for sure, as soon as if get my wife to lend me her windows computer for "hacking". Thanks so much.

Use the GUI version then...

got a link for that?

The GUI and command line version are packaged together...download using the link Madproforg listed above.

Sequence to change map name using GMapTool GUI version.

Create a working folder and put the original Korea OSM gmapsupp.img file in it.

Start GMapTool

Add gmapsupp.img making sure it is highlighted

GMTAddgmapsupp.jpg

Split the gmapsupp.img file making appropriate entries.

GMTSplitgmapsupp.jpg

Add the img files that were split out of the gmapsupp making sure only they are highlighted

GMTAddSplitImgs.jpg

Write making appropriate entries

GMTWrite.jpg

Join making appropriate entries

GMTJoin.jpg

will now show like this on the map information page on GPS

SouthKorea.jpg

Edited by rws