travel coin theft

ktprincess1

I have a 10-10-10 wetlands dragonfly coin that I put out. It has gone to Michigan. I got a e-mail from a guy named Daveyjonez here is a copy of what he said.

Log Date: 4/17/2011

Its in the Powerful Grasp of Davy Jonez and will soon go to Davy Jones Locker from which it cannot ever be regained. Sorry about your loss.

Can this guy be stopped?

His name was daveyjonez

Edited by ktprincess1

Well, I read the collectable info (linked by kpanko) and it seems to say both.

The idea behind the collectable status was to allow cachers who have a collection of activated geocoins to keep them in a separate list so that they have the icons show in their online listing, but that when they're caching they don't have a zillion-long coin list to sort through when logging trackables through caches. Say I've got 50 activated coins (that I activated for the icons) and two TBs I'm in the process of moving. I can now move them into my collection and free up the inventory list so that the inventory only shows 2 items (the TBs) vice 52.

The info does say (not exactly, but the upshot is) that if you mark a coin as collectable and release it, it indicates to other cachers that it's a coin that they can keep.

I personally think that this is a bad idea. If I've got something in my collection and decide to release it, I'd darned better well remember to change its status or I'm basically telling people they can keep it. I would rather that the four status indicators be:

* Traveller - meant to travel

* In a Collection or "Private Collection" - in a collection. Shouldn't be out in the wild.

* Gift - you can keep this if you find it

Instead of "unknown", a coin's status should default to "Traveller". An owner should have to take explicit action to give any status to a coin that could even breathe the possibility that it might be kept by a cacher.

Edited by Jackalgirl

That is not what collectible means... (correct me if Im wrong ).

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=250 Collectible: "The coin may be collected by another player."

A collectible trackable item will not show up in your inventory.

For the collectors out there who have over 100 geocoins, they would not enjoy scrolling through a big list of 123 items every time they want to "drop" something into a cache. By placing their coins in their online collection, it will keep their inventory shorter.

I checked and rechecked. This was not marked as a collectible. So he should not have kept it. Thanks for everyones input?

I checked that coin's page and it does say "This is collectible." It's right under Recently Spotted: In the hands of DavyJonez.

When I activate a coin, I make sure it says Not Collectible, whether I keep it in my private collection or release it as a traveler.

In this case, it sounds like it wouldn't have mattered if you had marked it Collectible or Not Collectible.

Bad karma, that's all I can say.

KT, I am one of the locals in SWFL and I was contacted about the cache your coin was in by a volunteer at the Preserve housing the cache. I have contacted Groundspeak about the user since he has done quite a bit of damage to local caches and coins in the area. I have also spread the word to our caching community and we're doing what we can to watch over things (premium memberships, warnings about leaving trackables on cache pages). I'll keep in touch if I hear anything about this user or your coin.

KT, I am one of the locals in SWFL and I was contacted about the cache your coin was in by a volunteer at the Preserve housing the cache. I have contacted Groundspeak about the user since he has done quite a bit of damage to local caches and coins in the area. I have also spread the word to our caching community and we're doing what we can to watch over things (premium memberships, warnings about leaving trackables on cache pages). I'll keep in touch if I hear anything about this user or your coin.

Thank you very much. I understand now that I had it as a collectible

and that it is my own fault about this coin, but it sounds like this isn't his first he took. Thanks again.

Thank you very much. I understand now that I had it as a collectible

and that it is my own fault about this coin, but it sounds like this isn't his first he took. Thanks again.

You can change it back from "collectible" at any time. The coin still belongs to you. I hope this guy has a change of heart or someone finds him and talks some sense into him.

He should be using his sociopathic nature to design puzzle caches, not steal geocoins!

I just received a log from this same guy, DaveyJonez, who is saying he has essentially stolen my coin, quote:

"I am the evil force known as Davy Jonez, and this coin has apparently reached a warm climate, but its days in the sun were short, as it has been captured in the strongest grip on planet earth,the Dark Hands of Davy Jones, and it will soon end up in Davy Jones Locker and will beyond all hopes of recovery. I dont't feel any emotions, I know no pain, as I gave these up long ago when I gave up my humanity for pure evil and unlimited powers.

P.S. If you question me, dadgum you to hell"

From this forum page it looks like he is active, although one of the coins he grabbed has a completely different log. Not sure what my options are, but if he is keeping it, then I'm pretty pissed off as you are essentially helpless.

If stealing coins is not bad enough, he has actually messed with each cache he has raided, even to the extent of urinating in one of them (if not more, one got hit that way TWICE last month). The locals are all doing what we can to stop any future problems and hoping this will stop soon.

It looks like he stole two from one individual. If I were you, I think I'd probably e-mail the other coin owners and see if they've had any e-mail communications with Davey.

He actually peed in a cache?!? :yikes: (Signal needs a vomit smiley face option) I feel awful for whoever discovered that!!!

I was just reading his logs. Was that the "surprise" he referenced? Or is he hitting up way more caches than he logs?

EDIT: Not to imply that you should e-mail him. I'd just be curious if anyone already has and what kind of response they got.

Edited by hikingirl3

Groundspeak has been made aware of this poor sport. Unfortunately, you can't fix mean and ugly. If you try, it can only make it worse. Do not attempt to contact this sick puppy, it can't do any good.

Also, collectible is not supposed to mean that others can keep your trackables. It is so you can keep it in YOUR collection for easier logging. When I notified Groundspeak about DavyJonez, I mentioned that they may hear from you all, in the feedback section, about the term "collectible".

It looks like he stole two from one individual. If I were you, I think I'd probably e-mail the other coin owners and see if they've had any e-mail communications with Davey.

He actually peed in a cache?!? :yikes: (Signal needs a vomit smiley face option) I feel awful for whoever discovered that!!!

I was just reading his logs. Was that the "surprise" he referenced? Or is he hitting up way more caches than he logs?

EDIT: Not to imply that you should e-mail him. I'd just be curious if anyone already has and what kind of response they got.

I did e-mail him, with no response.

Groundspeak has been made aware of this poor sport. Unfortunately, you can't fix mean and ugly. If you try, it can only make it worse. Do not attempt to contact this sick puppy, it can't do any good.

Also, collectible is not supposed to mean that others can keep your trackables. It is so you can keep it in YOUR collection for easier logging. When I notified Groundspeak about DavyJonez, I mentioned that they may hear from you all, in the feedback section, about the term "collectible".

OK. :)

I have just put together a suggestion in the Feedback Forum regarding the present ambiguity of "Collectible" as used for designating status for geocoins and travel bugs. I've tried to convey the problem as I see it but it would be good if others who move trackables and/or have collections of trackables could read it and add their comments.

Feedback forum suggestion - "Wording clarification needed re. Collectible / Not Collectible trackables."

Thanks

MrsB

What comes around goes around. Anyone who does that to someone else's property can never again eat or drink out without the nagging doubt that someone (maybe the waitress here, or the chef, or even that pretty blonde that sent the free drink over at the bar last night) has found out what they did and...Of course that would be a disgusting thing to do and I'd never suggest someone should do such a vile thing to someone's food or drink, but surely it must play on his mind? I mean, he must know he's not the only bad boy in his neighbourhood, and that there's far worse than him around. Geocachers by nature tend to be more stealthy than confrontational, and love to follow clues and solve puzzles, not to mention crimes.

And pee contains DNA...

Edited by Fianccetto