Has this ever happened to you ?

"Took longer than it should have to find as the previous finder was a little over zealous in the "hide it better than you found it" category."

When you see a log like that, is it possible that there's a throw-down container at such a cache? If there's more than one cache container at the OP cache find site, one of them won't have your signature. It's plausible that someone changed the log sheet (cacher or CO) after you signed. It also seems like cachers in your area may have issues that go far beyond Geocaching.

As far as I know, the OP story has never happened to me. The closest thing would be a log immediately after I placed a Travel Bug that it was not there. But I've seen logs where a cache container has completely changed, and in one case the ammo can was gone and people were finding a sandwich box, very close by, with some obscure (unlisted on this site, no GC code) cache name written on it -- and nobody seems to have noticed that they're finding the wrong box.

Someone logged on one of my Micro caches that “the log's almost full”*. Even though that's a little annoying (since I check the caches frequently and a log like that sorta suggests I'm not maintaining the cache) I left the log as is. No HORROR, no contacting anyone. I actually check my caches frequently enough so that I know if someone signed or not, and if I saw a "log's blank" note, I'd go find out why that happened (wet log? muggled?).

*if a log's "full", flip it over, and now it's only half full.

Edited by kunarion
One of those bookmarks has ALL 205 of our caches on it.

(assuming this is true. not seeing the bookmark lists you refer to)

This could be fun! For the sake of argument, we'll call this guy "Fred". Start posting notes to all your cache pages, worded to the effect of, "Hi Fred! Hope all is well!", then delete the note. Repeat every hour, on all your cache pages, for the next six months. Fred's email will fill up pretty fast!

"Assuming this is true ?"

Guess what ? Surprise ! This PERSON removed all public links to his bookmarks 2 days after we told all of you about the bookmarks here ! Why ? Shouldn't he be proud of those bookmarks ? He's been keeping them up for 2.5 years ! Why did he suddenly remove the links from public view ? You know why and I know why. He didn't want the GC community at large to see what he was doing or find out who he is.

He might've removed the public links but that doesn't mean the bookmarks are gone. We know better than that. He made them private. He's still stalking us. How do we know ? We posted 20 notes to 20 randomly owned caches. The 20 notes read "test." All 20 times HE showed up on the audit logs for those caches within minutes.

Why, after 2.5 years did he suddenly remove the public links to his stalker bookmarks ? He doesn't want you, the GC community at large, to see him !!!

Maybe it's as simple as he doesn't like the way you log your finds sometimes. There is certainly a wide array of opinion on these forums gegarding that subject. Maybe somewhere down the line you blank logged or cut and pasted on one of his caches and he took offense. There's all sorts out there. Like some of the others have stated, it's probably best to ignore.

I've had this happen as well. Cache posted at 5:40 am. It was directly on my route to work and I hit it at 5:50. No access to a computer until I got home nine hours later. Went to log and saw that someone had posted a FTF claiming 9 am. Since it was only a half mile away, I ran back out and saw that he had signed the back side of the log, obviously never seeing my DJ on the front. Friendly private email got it sorted out, as it usually does in this area.

This happened to me once. The second finder signed the back of the logbook and even took a TB I left and noted it wasn't listed so he 'took' it from me. No worries. I don't keep track of FTF's and this cacher was new at the game. I said nothing. A new cacher got their first FTF. I got to find what turned out to be a nice cache and hide. We both got what we wanted.

Maybe it's as simple as he doesn't like the way you log your finds sometimes. There is certainly a wide array of opinion on these forums gegarding that subject. Maybe somewhere down the line you blank logged or cut and pasted on one of his caches and he took offense. There's all sorts out there. Like some of the others have stated, it's probably best to ignore.

This is a very interesting comment.

I randomly checked 10 logs by the OP. Nine were blank logs and the tenth, while not offensive, was highly critical of the CO.

Like so many of these geo-dramas, there is a lot more to the story than we are being told.

Before I give you guys the latest update on the creepy bookmarks, I have to first say THANK YOU for sharing your experiences with us !! Although I'm pretty sure none of you are being stalked and harassed by another member like we are, we've read each and every response and respect all of your individual experiences !!

So, before I post the bookmark update I wanted to show you this:

QUOTE: "Teamed up with _______ and ______ to make this find. This was the last cache of the day and we made a small detour to see what was what. Took longer than it should have to find as the previous finder was a little over zealous in the "hide it better than you found it" category. None the less we found it, replaced it as found and notified the cache owner that a check may be in order to ensure that it's hidden "as intended".

This is a found it log, word for word, posted by a friend of the member who posted the log that's the subject of this thread and owner of the bookmarks. This is what they do ! They go around posting logs stating they either didn't see our sig on this logsheet and/or that logsheet or they post logs stating we did this and/or that to a cache and they've contacted the cache owner etc...blah-blah-blah. It just goes on and on and on and on and never stops and it's all about public humiliation and trying to discredit our team.

This BS has been going on for 2.5 years and THE SADDEST thing is, these cachers are VETERANS who've been in the game FOREVER !!! If I spilled the whole truth here, which I know I can't, your toes would curl !!!!

I have no idea what-so-ever about what is wrong with that log entry.

Stating that it might have not gotten hidden as you intended it hidden by a previous finder does not sound unusual or abusive to me.

Your personal safety does not seem to be threatened. He is not stealing your caches or posting "Needs archived" on all of your caches.

The only issue I can see here is that someone posted you didn't sign a log. Did your log get deleted? If not, what's the problem?

Relax, let go, live longer.

Hit the IGNORE button on this guy in your whole life.

Maybe quit geocaching for a while and go help feed the homeless.

Before I give you guys the latest update on the creepy bookmarks, I have to first say THANK YOU for sharing your experiences with us !! Although I'm pretty sure none of you are being stalked and harassed by another member like we are, we've read each and every response and respect all of your individual experiences !!

QUOTE: "Teamed up with _______ and ______ to make this find. This was the last cache of the day and we made a small detour to see what was what. Took longer than it should have to find as the previous finder was a little over zealous in the "hide it better than you found it" category. None the less we found it, replaced it as found and notified the cache owner that a check may be in order to ensure that it's hidden "as intended".

This is a found it log, word for word, posted by a friend of the member who posted the log that's the subject of this thread and owner of the bookmarks. This is what they do ! They go around posting logs stating they either didn't see our sig on this logsheet and/or that logsheet or they post logs stating we did this and/or that to a cache and they've contacted the cache owner etc...blah-blah-blah. It just goes on and on and on and on and never stops and it's all about public humiliation and trying to discredit our team.

This BS has been going on for 2.5 years and THE SADDEST thing is, these cachers are VETERANS who've been in the game FOREVER !!! If I spilled the whole truth here, which I know I can't, your toes would curl !!!!

I have no idea what-so-ever about what is wrong with that log entry.

Stating that it might have not gotten hidden as you intended it hidden by a previous finder does not sound unusual or abusive to me.

Your personal safety does not seem to be threatened. He is not stealing your caches or posting "Needs archived" on all of your caches.

The only issue I can see here is that someone posted you didn't sign a log. Did your log get deleted? If not, what's the problem?

Relax, let go, live longer.

Hit the IGNORE button on this guy in your whole life.

Maybe quit geocaching for a while and go help feed the homeless.

Of course you are correct. In the big scheme of things, these individual nips are trivial at worst. However, I can certainly understand how this type of childishness would get old after a while.

My new advice to the OP is to give hime the same treatment. Visit caches just after he did and alert the cache owners to problems that might possibly be caused by the previous finder. For caches owned by your friends, don't even bother checking the sigs and mention in your logs that you didn't notice any sigs from that previous date.

Edited by sbell111

My new advice to the OP is to give hime the same treatment. Visit caches just after he did and alert the cache owners to problems that might possibly be caused by the previous finder. For caches owned by your friends, don't even bother checking the sigs and mention in your logs that you didn't notice any sigs from that previous date.

I hope you said this in jest. Lowering yourself to his level just perpetuates the problem. And possibly escalates it.

Ignore the guy. By doing anything else, you are simply feeding his enjoyment of jerking you around.

I hope you said this in jest. Lowering yourself to his level just perpetuates the problem. And possibly escalates it.

Ignore the guy. By doing anything else, you are simply feeding his enjoyment of jerking you around.

It was mostly said in jest. Of course, there comes a point when one must decide that ignoring the problem doesn't cause the bully to lose interest.

To the OP:

If the CO is allowing your log to stand, I'd probably quietly let the slanderous log slide to the bottom of the cache history. You know what you did was right. You're not being penalized by the CO in the form of a deleted log. Photographing the log sheet does little good, I could easily make up a log sheet and photograph it in my livingroom. As in any group activity, there are many people that take it way to seriously. It's supposed to be fun. Don't sweat the petty things.

I personally would prefer that people not play personal childish games though logs on my caches.

I am sorry, because I really am trying to understand... but this just doesn't seem like anything at all. Who cares that they said that? Why are you that bothered by such a little thing?

I am sorry, because I really am trying to understand... but this just doesn't seem like anything at all. Who cares that they said that? Why are you that bothered by such a little thing?

I agree. Just from the examples posted by the OP, it sure seems like a case of picking gnat poop out of pepper. This other cacher isn't so much posting abusive logs towards you, as you are picking apart what they do write to make it seem like they're insulting you. Who is stalking who here? Again, let it go. You're the one keeping this drama going.

My son was recently suspended from a day of school due to this exact issue. I told him the same thing. Ignoring a bully does nothing but enpower the bully. My son finally stood his ground and the bully ain't a bully any more.

That's not a good analogy. Real life bullies feed off intimidation and the ability to boss you around in front of others. If they think you're scared of them (because you don't fight back or just ignore them), they'll torment you until the end of time if they could. Internet bullies can only do that if you let them. Ignoring bullies on the internet is the best way to make them give up and go away. Real life bullies don't want a reaction from you; internet bullies do. That's the difference.

I remember Michael Madsen on a talk show explaining how you can't be a tough guy over the phone. You can be as insulting as you want and threaten the person listening with all sorts of harm, but once that person hangs up, it's all over. I think that applies pretty well to the internet. You ignore this person and all their buffoonery won't exist to you.

I agree. Just from the examples posted by the OP, it sure seems like a case of picking gnat poop out of pepper. This other cacher isn't so much posting abusive logs towards you, as you are picking apart what they do write to make it seem like they're insulting you. Who is stalking who here? Again, let it go. You're the one keeping this drama going.

yes! Crow T Robot said this much better than I did. Again, unless you directly talk to the person and work it out, you're only telling yourself stories in your head and making mountains out of molehills (or "picking gnat poop out of pepper", love that).

For anybody who doesn't get it or thinks we're overreacting...here's the latest on the creepy bookmark that has all 205 of our caches on it....The public link to this bookmark has been on all of our cache pages for 2.5 years ! 2 days after we told all of you, the GC public at large, about the bookmark, SUDDENLY, the public bookmark link is GONE ! Hmmmmm. Geee. I find that interesting don't you ?

That's right. After 2.5 years the creepy bookmark link that was plastered on all of our cache pages is now GONE ! Why ?

Because he didn't want any of you to see the link that lead to the creepy bookmark that would then lead to him, that's why !!

The public link ON ALL 205 OF OUR CACHE PAGES is gone and that's great BUT, we know this person and we knew he didn't delete the bookmark, he made it private.

Isn't that what stalkers do ? Once exposed to the public they hide in the dark ?

So, in order to find out if the creepy bookmark was deleted or just made private, we conducted an experiment. Because all of our caches are PMO, we have audit logs. For 2.5 years, anytime ANYTHING was posted to any of our caches wether it was a found it log or a dnf or a note or a needs maintenance log, minutes later this person would show up at the top of the audit log. Didn't matter if it was morning, noon, night or middle of the night, he was there !

He would get notified via email of EVERYTHING posted to our cache pages because of the creepy bookmark but that wasn't enough. He would then come directly to the cache page to see whatever was posted "in person."

So after the public bookmark link SUDDENLY disappeared from our cache pages ( after 2.5 years ), we posted 3 congratulatory notes to 3 FTF'ers on 3 of our new caches as well as 20 random notes on 20 random cache pages of caches we own. The congrats notes were our standard congrats notes and the other notes simply read "test." Then we watched to see if he would show up on the audit logs on those cache pages. If he did, that meant his creepy bookmark was still active because there was no other way he would be aware of these notes.

Sure enough, there he was, on the audit logs for all 23 caches within minutes.

So you see, he removed the public link to his 2.5 year old creepy, stalker bookmark 2 days after we exposed it to the public.

That fact in and of itself, speaks volumes. He didn't want the GC public at large to see it. He was proud of his bookmark when it was just local. He added to it and added to it for 2.5 years so why, when we spoke about it publicly, did he remove it from public view ? Hmmmm. I wonder. Why is he hiding it from you ???

Seems to me HE KNOWS it's wrong and creepy and he would be TOTALLY EMBARRASSED if you saw it and found out who he is !

The stalker I had typically would show up to my house or where I worked or around my car when I was out. He'd sit on the hill behind my house and watch me coming and going. He'd park at the end of the street and walk to my house so I wouldn't know he was there. He would be in the same aisles I was when shopping. He would occasionally threaten my well being as well. My stalker would do "fan" pages about me on me on myspace with pictures he took of me that I didn't know about....

I have an extremely difficult time reading this thread and calling the spat you two are having a stalking situation.

I can watch any cache I want to. If I started watching yours does that mean I'm stalking you? I have numerous book mark lists and don't get an e-mail on any cache on them as I am not "watching" them by the way.

Part of me is wondering why I am staying involved in this conversation.

So what if he is keeping a bookmark list on you! Is this hurting you somehow?

The only pain it is causing you is that which you are creating by stressing over it.

Has he threatened bodily injury? Has he been seen lurking around your daughter's school?

Maybe this guy has bookmark lists on everyone in town, or everyone with over 200 caches placed. Who cares?

He is not hurting you here. You are. If you ignore his actions there will be no pain or suffering. He is not doing anything to you.

The person previously who stated that a real life bully is different than an internet bully is right on.

(even if I believed this person was a bully, which I do not)

We recently had a big lesson in the "Off Topic" forums that I will share.

We had a thread on sock puppets in the forums. We discussed each new sock puppet that showed up.

All of a sudden these sock puppets became rampant. New sock puppets were showing up hourly and sometimes posting harmful things. We talked about each one a lot.

Then someone got a hold of a conversation one of these sock puppets had on another forum. He said that he loved the attention and there was no reason to do it if he didn't get the attention.

We closed down the sock puppet thread. The problem has disappeared. It went away as soon as we closed the thread.

The problem of sock puppets posting bad things had become rampant. The moderators were staying up all night because of it.

We closed the thread and the problem is gone.

We learned a valuable lesson about internet bullies. I hope you will learn from our lessons (and mistakes) and not have to repeat them yourself.

(for those new to the forums, a sock puppet on the forums is someone who posts under a fake name usually in order to post harmful things or to attack people in hopes of no one knowing who did it. When their ID is traced they do get banned from Geocaching.com)

The stalker I had typically would show up to my house or where I worked or around my car when I was out. He'd sit on the hill behind my house and watch me coming and going. He'd park at the end of the street and walk to my house so I wouldn't know he was there. He would be in the same aisles I was when shopping. He would occasionally threaten my well being as well. My stalker would do "fan" pages about me on me on myspace with pictures he took of me that I didn't know about....

I have an extremely difficult time reading this thread and calling the spat you two are having a stalking situation.

I can watch any cache I want to. If I started watching yours does that mean I'm stalking you? I have numerous book mark lists and don't get an e-mail on any cache on them as I am not "watching" them by the way.

Regardless of whether this guy's actions equate to stalking as you experienced it in the real world, I think you would agree that little things add up when they've been going on for years.

If the guy is watching all of your cache listings and visiting the page after every note, as well as visiting the same caches you have and alluding to your logs in his logs it definitely sounds like he has an unhealthy obsession. I don't know what the past history is before this, but what he is doing now is creepy.

It's a passive form of aggressiveness. As much subtle harassment that he can get away with, perhaps. Not physical stalking, but that's the next tier that he is reaching for.

Perhaps he needs to keep an eye on you because you post blank logs, and they don't seem valid in his eyes? I don't like blank logs either, but if someone is going to follow you around like that, I don't blame you for posting them. I'd like to see a screen shot of one of the audit logs with his username blocked out. Does he have the most views? The behaviour makes a good argument for the option of keeping "find" logs private.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Unless there are pictures, isn't this all heresay? Just sayin' is all....

I have seen screen captures of the bookmarks in question. So the bookmarks do/did exist. But as pointed out earlier, there is nothing wrong with having a bookmark. And there is no rule against keeping copies of logs within those bookmarks.

There is nothing in the bookmarks that could not be just as easily captured with GSAK.

My take is that there is three sides to this story. The OP's. The Bookmark Owner, who is intelligent enough not to wade into this thread. And the truth.

I am not sure what the OP is looking for anymore. A number of posters have clearly given what I consider to be excellent advice: Ignore him and he will get tired of the game. In fact, if the OP had not resurrected this thread yesterday, it would have passed on to page 2 and obscurity. Not sure why the OP has chosen to perpetuate the thread. I do not see him/her gaining much support here.

I have seen screen captures of the bookmarks in question. So the bookmarks do/did exist. But as pointed out earlier, there is nothing wrong with having a bookmark. And there is no rule against keeping copies of logs within those bookmarks.

There is nothing in the bookmarks that could not be just as easily captured with GSAK.

My take is that there is three sides to this story. The OP's. The Bookmark Owner, who is intelligent enough not to wade into this thread. And the truth.

I am not sure what the OP is looking for anymore. A number of posters have clearly given what I consider to be excellent advice: Ignore him and he will get tired of the game. In fact, if the OP had not resurrected this thread yesterday, it would have passed on to page 2 and obscurity. Not sure why the OP has chosen to perpetuate the thread. I do not see him/her gaining much support here.

Ignoring a situation that has already gone on way too long doesn't seem like great advice to me. After all, the person hasn't grown bored of the shenanigans yet, why should he going forward?

Either way, allowing bad behavior to continue should not be considered the best solution.

Edited by sbell111

I assumed it was for the drama. Some people thrive on it. Oh well, I'll back out of this if ya'll want it to disappear.

Ignoring a situation that has already gone on way too long doesn't seem like great advice to me. After all, the person hasn't grown bored of the shenanigans yet, why should he going forward?

Either way, allowing bad behavior to continue should not be considered the best solution.

Based on what we've read in this thread, I'm not sure exactly who is continuing bad behavior. Somebody put a bunch of caches on a bookmark list. So what?