Charging for Large Event Geocaches

I would like to organize some event geocaches on a larger scale say 50-100 people. This will take a bit of time, organization and maybe even some sponsors. Is it ethical in the geocache world / geocachers prepared to pay for something like this as I see from many posts event caches of 20-30 are quite normal, but larger ones, I am not sure. Appreciate any feedback.

i don't think its a good idea asking people right off the bat to pay to attend your event, unless they have to pay admission to a park and such

i have seen it done, but only at mega events

also it will largely depend on what you offer to justify the charge

a better way to do it is to find some sponsors and hold a raffle for the items, participating in the raffle should not be mandatory but do mention that is being held to recover some of your costs

we did that at the 10 year event we organized in 2010

we paid the rental for the shelter, offered free burgers or hotdogs with the regular condiments, and got a deal with the park for a reduced admission rate

we had lots of items from the sponsors and the ruffle covered our costs, but we were prepared that that may not be the case

good luck with your idea! :D

I have help a yearly event for the past 5 years. There was a fee to reserve the location. For this, I asked for a voluntary donation to cover the costs.

For food, I started charging a small amount to cover my costs (something like $3 for two hot dogs or burgers & chips).

I usually come close to breaking even.

I would like to organize some event geocaches on a larger scale say 50-100 people. This will take a bit of time, organization and maybe even some sponsors. Is it ethical in the geocache world / geocachers prepared to pay for something like this as I see from many posts event caches of 20-30 are quite normal, but larger ones, I am not sure. Appreciate any feedback.

50-100 people constitute a normal event in my area, and I have never been to one that has done anything more than to put a coffee can out for donations. I am curious why you would want to hold an event before you have any finds or hides. Seems rather unusual.

According to your profile:

You've been a member for a month.

You've not found or hidden a cache.

You've never been to an event.

Okay, maybe you've found caches and been to events and just not logged them. perhaps this account is a sock puppet and you are really experienced.

Either way, I think you may have trouble persuading 50 to 100 people to pay you for something when it looks like you have zero experience in the game.

My suggestion is this: organize a small (free) event to introduce yourself to the community, buy a bunch of hotdogs at Costco and ask people to bring drinks and sides.

50-100 people constitute a normal event in my area, and I have never been to one that has done anything more than to put a coffee can out for donations. I am curious why you would want to hold an event before you have any finds or hides. Seems rather unusual.

+1. Even monthly meet 'n greets in my area draw that many, and we never charge (and volunteer labor to plan and host is...volunteer). Usually, the venues are free (e.g., meeting rooms at restaurants), and in cases where there are fees, either attendee donations/raffles or reimbursements (for WSGA events) usually suffice. We've had some pretty elaborate events, from cache machines to day-long mystery/puzzle events to GeoBoo (shout-out to Shop99er and crew), and some cost money (and lots of volunteer hours), but there's never an up-front event fee.

Edited by hydnsek

The yearly geo-halloween party around here costs a whole lot to put on, and the organizers spend a whole lot of time planning it.

THey have an elaborate haunted house, great decorations, night caches on site, etc. They rent a huge hall and buy a whole lot to make it happen.

Even after all this they don't charge.

They did sell geo-coins to help pay for expenses. Something like that is a little more acceptable.

I think you'd be better off asking for donations for a raffle or something similar. I'd probably have to know you or have had some fun at events you've held in the past before I'd be willing to pay to get in. There might be circumstances that would change my mind though.

If the event is free, I'll drop by if I can just to visit with other local geocachers.

If there is a charge for the event, then I'll have to decide whether I want to spend the money to do whatever it is that costs enough money to make the organizer(s) charge money. If the special activities aren't worth the $$$ to me, then I won't go.

Palmetto, one of the reviewers, gave this answer when this question came up last year:

"Events may charge fees to off-set the costs of the gathering, but not to make a profit."

MrsB :)

Who does the auditing on those events?

Exactly.

Which means you are free to charge whatever the market will bear.

I'm holding this event, see?

And I'm sure it's gonna cost me like $25 for everyone who attends...see?

Yeah, that's the ticket!

I've been to 2 events of that size. One just had an ammo can out "donation to offset the cost of pavilion rental."

The other had a donation jar and also $1 raffle tickets to win homemade caches and other geocaching related swag. But everyone who attended did get one free raffle ticket.

I would not go to an event where someone charged a fee, if they did not have a long-standing good reputation with the geocaching community.

I've been to 2 events of that size. One just had an ammo can out "donation to offset the cost of pavilion rental."

The other had a donation jar and also $1 raffle tickets to win homemade caches and other geocaching related swag. But everyone who attended did get one free raffle ticket.

I would not go to an event where someone charged a fee, if they did not have a long-standing good reputation with the geocaching community.