Stars Written in Stone?

Fizzy challenge seekers can always take screen shots if they want to prove the ratings at the time they found the cache. (I don't know what fizzy specs actually say about changing ratings, and I don't care.)

But most unusual combinations are mis-rated even when it's not done intentionally. This is particularly true of high-terrain caches, where the hider did not totally understand that the difficulty rating is supposed to be completely independent of the terrain rating. This is not surprising -- it's a bit hard to wrap one's mind around the fact that a 50cal ammo can to be found at the end of a 10-mile hike with 4000' of elevation gain is probably a "difficulty 1".

Edward

Fizzy challenge seekers can always take screen shots if they want to prove the ratings at the time they found the cache. (I don't know what fizzy specs actually say about changing ratings, and I don't care.)

Hey! That's a great idea!! I never thought of that. Wonder if it would fly with the fizzy challenge cache owners, but I like it.

I knew the side game but didn't know it was called a Fizzy challenge. I don't usually pay much attention to these 'challenge' hides. I have several dozen active hides and I try to reflex the ratings true to the hide. I am VERY LIKELY to change the rating of my hides if after a few finds others suggest the ratings are too low/high. I don't do FTF although I do grab them once in a while after they've been out for a few days or weeks (think mountains and wilderness). So don't get upset if I don't jot down the "time" I made a find. If my name is there first I figure I must have found it first. This is the way I play my game and I'm sure you have your way to play the game. That's just one of the things that make geocaching such a great activity.

And then there is my "fuzzy" challenge where you have to find caches that are, were at one time, or may eventually be approximately the given rating for all or most of the spaces on a difficulty/terrain matrix. If you want to, that is.

mmm, Fuzzy Challenge, wouldn't this also need to involve some moving cache(s). Or at least some temporal shifting? I guess you could approximate a find as "plus or minus X miles from near wanting to find that cache", or something like that to achieve Proper Fuzziness.

I'll go check the Knowledge Books article.....

Actually, that's when a cache had been moist, someone left something edible in there, and now there's a growth of something green or purplish and fuzzy. The challenge is to sign the log without contracting something nasty.