Blue monument stamped "MV"

bobbyschultz

I noticed about 40 or so concrete monuments stamped MV along NC Route 210 in Pender County, North Carolina.

Unfortunately I did not snap a picture because I thought I could easily find them online. No luck.

These monuments are all along NC 210, stamped "MV" in the concrete and are all painted blue. They are all project about 2 feet above the ground. I have no idea what they are or what MV stands for.

thanks,

Bobby

Oh, well guess I don't know as much as I thought. What were/are they used for? Does the gov't have the right to do what they want between that marker and the road? Lots of them out here--they are concrete about 3-5 ft tall, square, and top is like a pyramid.

BasicPoke

Probably marking a water line. We have something like those in OK, not painted, I think they read RW for rural water.

BasicPoke

BasicPoke,

If those are located along roads; they actually are Right-of-Way markers.

Kurt

Actually, people's replies are more accurate than they realize. The markers described by the original poster (and illustrated by DifficultRun) are NOT right-of-way markers. They are a common indicator of an underground utility line--water, in this case. These may, or may not, be within the right-of-way corrider. Often, an easement (just outside the R/W) is granted to water, sewer, cable, telephone and electrical providers. Sometimes the easement is for other purposes, such as "sight" or "slope". Once such case was EZ6551.

On the other hand, the monuments enscribed RW or R / W which BasicPoke mentions having seen in Oklahoma ARE right-of-way indicators--and such are pretty common in other states, as well. It gets interesting when a survey crew incorporates a R/W marker into a station, as happened at EZ1102. See the picture below (looking near the center of the monument for the survey point), or click here for the description, plus a recovery report with additional photos.

-Paul-

991525b0-0118-4562-a52f-e13e291b5f47.jpg

Edited by PFF