iPad users...best GPX file viewer with maps?

ArtieD

Hey, all...

I just bought an iPad 2 and was looking for a good app that I could view GPX files with, one that preferably includes a map that shows where the cache is...kind of like the maps this site uses. I have seen the iPlunder and the Geocaching with Geocaching with Geosphere, but I am still unsure.

Any suggestions?

With my iPad 2 I use Geosphere. I like it because the satellite maps it displays are very high quality and are a huge help when you are sitting in your can trying to figure out where to go. I also like it because I can keep my GPX files in my free Dropbox account and download them right into Geosphere as needed.

Hands down Geocaching with Geosphere is the best app for iPads, iPod Touch and iPhone. You can use dropbox but you don't have to geosphere has a tab that will take you to your pocket querys direct. It also supports open caching. Check it out at the app store.

I have the original wifi iPad and use the Bad Elf GPS dongle. You can use the Bad Elf on iPod Touch, iPhone as well as both iPad models.

It's more accurate and has a 66-channel MTK GPS chipset

Fast GPS lock times

Up to 10Hz update rate

SBAS/WAAS/EGNOS/MSAS

Assisted GPS (when network available)

Hands down Geocaching with Geosphere is the best app for iPads, iPod Touch and iPhone. You can use dropbox but you don't have to geosphere has a tab that will take you to your pocket querys direct. It also supports open caching. Check it out at the app store.

I have the original wifi iPad and use the Bad Elf GPS dongle. You can use the Bad Elf on iPod Touch, iPhone as well as both iPad models.

It's more accurate and has a 66-channel MTK GPS chipset

Fast GPS lock times

Up to 10Hz update rate

SBAS/WAAS/EGNOS/MSAS

Assisted GPS (when network available)

How is that bad elf gps? How many feet are you normally off from ground zero?

I am also in search of a good app for displaying pocket queries on my iPad. i guess the geocaching app and geosphere do provide the right amount of offline information about the caches. I do miss the overview of the pocket queries on a offline map.

Are there apps which have the ability the use offline maps to show the position of the caches (no detailed maps, just high-level)?

I am also in search of a good app for displaying pocket queries on my iPad. i guess the geocaching app and geosphere do provide the right amount of offline information about the caches. I do miss the overview of the pocket queries on a offline map.

Are there apps which have the ability the use offline maps to show the position of the caches (no detailed maps, just high-level)?

With Geosphere (and I think the official app too) if you open up your PQ before you leave the house you can go into the map and see all the caches. When you do this connected to the network it caches the maps for offline use. In other words go into the map view, then pan around to all the areas that are in your PQ. When you go offline you can then go back into and see the map as if you were still connected to the network. As long as you do it before you leave the house it works great as this is what I do with my iPad and Geosphere.

Hey, all...

I just bought an iPad 2 and was looking for a good app that I could view GPX files with, one that preferably includes a map that shows where the cache is...kind of like the maps this site uses. I have seen the iPlunder and the Geocaching with Geocaching with Geosphere, but I am still unsure.

Any suggestions?

GPX-Viewer works great for viewing GPX files.

I have tried out several apps, but Geosphere is the one I use. I like its ability to maintain separate groups of caches - it offers powerful filtering, editing, and merging tools so that I can easily identify the caches I want to find. I can export the results to other apps or my handheld gpsr as need arises. I like the way it displays cache information and would never do an earthcache or a cache that relies on graphics without it.

Although Geosphere uses online mapping, it will cache the maps that have been recently viewed. I use it for the overview when I don't have cell service and have set up bookmarks on the cache page that link directly to offline mapping programs - such as Gaiagps, Pocket Earth, or Navigon. Geosphere will transfer cache coordinates to these programs (and any offline map that will accept information from other apps) so I have access to routing, topo, or trail information.

Gaia Gps, Pocket Earth, and other offline maps support GPX files. They will not provide cache information, but can offer an overview. I have imported full sets of GPX files to them, but generally stick with method described above since Geosphere will identify caches by type rather than just use a waypoint symbol.

Gaia offers a wide range of maps. Pocket Earth uses open source maps with some additional features. Both are very easy to save for offline use. Navigon does not support GPX overview, but offline voice routing to a particular cache can be handy.

When traveling overseas, without cellular data, I found Geosphere very easy to use with the mapping programs described above. The Garmin GLO worked well for navigation with my ipad.

Geobucket allows you to use offline maps that are created through a separate mapping program. It will import the maps and use them within the app. I created maps and set it up before our last trip out of the country, but the refresh rate was slow and I never got used to its display, so I deleted it halfway through the trip. Perhaps it would have worked better if I had limited the maps to high levels rather than include additional detail. You may want to try it.

Edited by geodarts

I have tried out several apps, but Geosphere is the one I use. I like its ability to maintain separate groups of caches - it offers powerful filtering, editing, and merging tools so that I can easily identify the caches I want to find. I can export the results to other apps or my handheld gpsr as need arises. I like the way it displays cache information and would never do an earthcache or a cache that relies on graphics without it.

Although Geosphere uses online mapping, it will cache the maps that have been recently viewed. I use it for the overview when I don't have cell service and have set up bookmarks on the cache page that link directly to offline mapping programs - such as Gaiagps, Pocket Earth, or Navigon. Geosphere will transfer cache coordinates to these programs (and any offline map that will accept information from other apps) so I have access to routing, topo, or trail information.

Gaia Gps, Pocket Earth, and other offline maps support GPX files. They will not provide cache information, but can offer an overview. I have imported full sets of GPX files to them, but generally stick with method described above since Geosphere will identify caches by type rather than just use a waypoint symbol.

Gaia offers a wide range of maps. Pocket Earth uses open source maps with some additional features. Both are very easy to save for offline use. Navigon does not support GPX overview, but offline voice routing to a particular cache can be handy.

When traveling overseas, without cellular data, I found Geosphere very easy to use with the mapping programs described above. The Garmin GLO worked well for navigation with my ipad.

Geobucket allows you to use offline maps that are created through a separate mapping program. It will import the maps and use them within the app. I created maps and set it up before our last trip out of the country, but the refresh rate was slow and I never got used to its display, so I deleted it halfway through the trip. Perhaps it would have worked better if I had limited the maps to high levels rather than include additional detail. You may want to try it.

Thanks for the great response geodarts.

It has been a while since I used my iPad for planning a trip abroad so I will check out your suggestions!

Is the Geosphere That you recommend above still available please?

The only app I could find of that name was GeoSphere HD - which is a battle game on an imaginary planet, by the looks.

It comes up using the "iphone only" rather than the "ipad only" search. Geocaching with Geosphere by GBHomeTech. The main caching app on the ipad only search is geobucket. I tried it (purchasing the ad free upgrade) and like it better on the ipad than the iphone - you can try it for free. But Geosphere is what I use with both the phone and ipad.

Edited by geodarts