Geocaching Site Down?

vojrio

This seems to be a weekly occurrence. The site is always slow on the weekends. If people aren't complaining about it being slow they are complaining about features being turned off so the site won't be slow. Its all from too much traffic. Weekends are the time that everyone is trying to find or log caches.

This seems to be a weekly occurrence. The site is always slow on the weekends. If people aren't complaining about it being slow they are complaining about features being turned off so the site won't be slow. Its all from too much traffic. Weekends are the time that everyone is trying to find or log caches.

Sounds like its time for Groundspeak to invest in some more servers to handle the traffic!

Was logging some finds earlier, and waiting between one and two minutes for the page to refresh each time. Set a 'my finds' to run too, but i'm not going to hold much hope out that that will run any time soon. Rather disappointing in my mind.

If Groundspeak think this is an acceptible level of service, perhaps they could publish some stats around how much stress the servers are under, and what capacity they are running at. It'll give me a chance to plan my admin, rather that than the great silence, and a long wait...

I know, I know, weekends are busy, but that's when I want to do my updates, when it suits me...

So is the site every going to get fixed or is everyone on vacation? At least some kind of response from someone at GS would be nice to say 'hey this is whats going on'. It's really a PAIN to have plans to go out caching & not be able to get the info you need or to have been out & now cant do any logging. Worse yet is to have sponsored an event & not have the folks who attended be able to log all of the caches etc.

Gee thanks for all the effort here.

I am new to geocaching and today is the first day I have experienced the error messages and slowness. For the enjoyment we are getting fromall of this it is worth it.

It's a "Sunday thing". I first noticed it in 2004, I don't know if it goes back even further. Busiest day of the week for the website, and people logging their finds. Not saying it's happened every single Sunday for 7+ years though. :anibad:

Well, my area (Western NY) can not be blamed for this. I'm sure very few logs were posted over the weekend. We had all-day rain on Saturday, and wet, heavy "stick to grass and rooftop" type snow as posted in the pic by T4e.

I've had problems accessing the site almost every Sunday... it's frustrating to wake up to beautiful sunny weather and then not be able to cache because the site is so slow that it's unusable. I'm considering not renewing my premium membership until it's fixed or a reasonable explanation is given.

Oh dear - the site is either hanging up taking soooo long, or I get a message saying servers busy - any idea what is going on? I was trying to post logs, then it would not even go into the home page and now its very very slow.

Its been OK, then slow, then OK, then extremely slow for the over 2 hours now. I've had various error messages including "sever down", "server not responding", and the usual browser "page cannot be displayed" message. It has taken me 2 hours and 10 minutes to log 12 finds and 2 DNFs.

All the extra interest in the new Challenges is bogging-down the servers!

Just what they wanted to see, everything is working according to plan.

what a good idea it was to add another feature that would (hopefully) bring more people to the site, but not upgrade the servers to handle the traffic.

Edited by the3gmen

I don't have anything to complain about since I've got a free account, but if I were a paying customer, i'd be a bit angry.

Used to be a premium member, but the performance of this site keeps my measly $30 in my pocket for now.

ADOPTIONS still not working..............c'mon GS you charge for these codes....can we please have the use of them as promised in the sale?