Your favourite caches!

For my list check out http://www.amberel.com/topcache.htm

That is an awesome list, more than a few take my fancy to have a go at, and a couple are not too far from me to :)

A couple that I would call truly amazing hides.. a couple of my favourite favourites, are "Two Degrees West - Merchants Downs" GC1CQPF, and "Rendcomb Rat Run" GC2DTX0.

Both hides are favourites for their locations. The first for the amount of wildlife that surrounded me on my walk around dawn.. imagine a scene with forest animals from Snow White, and then add some, it felt amazing.

The second was for making me think in another dimension, where the actual cache was hidden. After looking at Amberel's list above, I wouldn't call Rendcomb 'extreme', but it is bordering on it, and includes a lovely walk to get to also.

oh I LOVED the 2DW Merchants Down cache - it's wonderful - yet when I found it last year I think I was its first visitor in 6 months! It's sad that some of these little gems don't get much traffic (but then again, that's probably why the wildlife down there are so friendly :) )

Thanks for the heads up on the Rat Run - that looks just the ticket to fulfill my kids' request to find a cache in what that one appears to be in :) If you and your young un managed to negotiate it successfully then would you say I'd be ok with boys aged 12 and almost 9?

Of the caches I have found so far I have 2 that are absolute stand outs.

The first is a traditional cache in the Lake District called Walla Crag - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a1a66d0d-bd07-4216-accf-ac1b1dd86b98

The reasons why I liked it so much are because it was a large cache in a great location and you had to go off the beaten track to get it.

My second and my favourite cache so far is Seekers Quest 11 - Filey http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9e98dacf-63a6-472e-9c92-10a0cb23adae

It's a multi and part of a series of 16. It was the first I did and it was a real adventure with the final location being about 10 foot from the sea. Absolutely brilliant experience.

Edited by TheGoodNorth

Definitely Here Be Dragons on an abandoned railway yard hidden in the middle of suburban Feltham/Hounslow. It's been there >4 years but only has 41 finds. A remarkable place to explore if you can find a way in.....

Oh yes, I really enjoyed that one. Took me a few goes to figure out how to get at it but got there in the end. I also really liked The Other End, a curious puzzle with an interesting piece of history.

Thanks for the heads up on the Rat Run - that looks just the ticket to fulfill my kids' request to find a cache in what that one appears to be in :) If you and your young un managed to negotiate it successfully then would you say I'd be ok with boys aged 12 and almost 9?

It's not without an element of risk for sure, but James (xJammmzy... formally Ciren Locator.. what is it with kids changing their names?) was only 11 when he did with me, and we managed fine. If you make it to the Soiree on Sunday we could talk about it then, or James could talk to your kids about it, or feel free to drop either of us a mail if you have any questions.

It's not without an element of risk for sure, but James (xJammmzy... formally Ciren Locator.. what is it with kids changing their names?) was only 11 when he did with me, and we managed fine. If you make it to the Soiree on Sunday we could talk about it then, or James could talk to your kids about it, or feel free to drop either of us a mail if you have any questions.

yup we'll be there on Sunday, will quiz you there!

Definitely Here Be Dragons on an abandoned railway yard hidden in the middle of suburban Feltham/Hounslow. It's been there >4 years but only has 41 finds. A remarkable place to explore if you can find a way in.....

Oh yes, I really enjoyed that one. Took me a few goes to figure out how to get at it but got there in the end. I also really liked The Other End, a curious puzzle with an interesting piece of history.

Here be Dragons was my 8th find, nearly 4 years ago now. Now up to nearly 3400 unique caches on all listing sites, so a lot of water under the bridge since then! It was indeed an excellent place for a cache.

You might have put in a link to The Other End :lol: :lol: . Warning, that was a shameless plug :lol: .

Rgds, Andy