Distances fom cache to cache

This subject is two pronged.

Firstly, when placing new cache's it is difficult to decide where to hide the cache due to the 0.1 mile restriction distance placed upon you. Due to this dilemma, is there a possibility there could be a distance calculator factored into the geocaching software that indicates how close you are to the nearest cache already placed to prevent the continued replacing of a new cache?

Secondly, recently when attempting to place a new cache I was prevented from doing so by a moderator as they stated it was too close to the final stage of a multi-cache. The problem with this is, multistage cache's by their nature are hidden until the final clue is solved therefore aren't shown on the geocache map. Due to this how can one possibly know where to place a cache in similar situations?

Regards.

Often asked for.

Not likely to happen. It would make it too easy to Battleship the coordinates for that difficult to solve Puzzle cache.

Best option is to ask your Reviewer if it's safe to place a cache at N??? W???.

However, if you ask too often, and your near the site of a puzzle/multi etc, they won't say!

Other option is to go and find all the local Puzzles/Multi's within two miles of where you want to place your cache. :D

Firstly, when placing new cache's it is difficult to decide where to hide the cache due to the 0.1 mile restriction distance placed upon you. Due to this dilemma, is there a possibility there could be a distance calculator factored into the geocaching software that indicates how close you are to the nearest cache already placed to prevent the continued replacing of a new cache?

I do this in the field all the time. When you are thinking of a certain location you have to go and get readings, so before you head out load all the caches around that coordinate and when you get to your location search for the nearest cache. Simple as pie for all caches that have a viewable final location.

Secondly, recently when attempting to place a new cache I was prevented from doing so by a moderator as they stated it was too close to the final stage of a multi-cache. The problem with this is, multistage cache's by their nature are hidden until the final clue is solved therefore aren't shown on the geocache map. Due to this how can one possibly know where to place a cache in similar situations?

This has happened to me and I just had to ask the CO if there was room near their cache for mine. Some gave me the final coords so that I could plot it out myself and others told me that an area was saturated already, so I would have to move on.

1. It's not too difficult to have all the local caches loaded into your GPSr. When you establish your projected hide site, use the unit to see how close they all are. It will not, however, show the distance to the stages of a nearby multi. If there are no multis nearby, shouldn't be a problem.

2. As Bear and Ragged said. Reviewers are good and helpful people.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Often asked for.

Not likely to happen. It would make it too easy to Battleship the coordinates for that difficult to solve Puzzle cache.

At least they say they are looking into it here.

"We currently have this suggestion in our internal queue and under review. (4316)"

Not "This is likely to be implemented soon"

Don't hold your breath! :laughing:

But, yes, they do seem to be looking at it.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

This is a tough 1. Even with another cache belonging to me it creates a bit of a challenge to place another cache without invading however as is said your reviewer is the best resource. When you decide you want to place a cache, check the listings for any multi's that are close, go pick your location, having at least a couple of alternate locations then send your info to the reviewer asking if they are ok, in the order of preference. They will tell you & then you can proceed. Good luck. Our reviewers are a great resource tool. (thanks to all of ya for that)