"Actual Finds" VS "Distinct Finds"

yawppy

For sometime now I have noted a 5 cache discrepancy in my finds numbers. Not sure as to why, or what causes it, at one time thought it was Benchmarks, but have 7 of them logged, so here is what my "Stats Page Says":

Your Caching Chronology

*You've found 2194 caches (2189 distinct) since your first cache find on .

Just curious if anyone else has this issue, and if so what to do to clear it up.

TY

Probably means you have logged 5 caches twice. With those numbers, you'll need to do some kind of sort with GSAK to watch for repeats. My numbers were off by one, I looked, there was one cache we meant to write a note and we found as logged. Good luck, happy caching!

For sometime now I have noted a 5 cache discrepancy in my finds numbers. Not sure as to why, or what causes it, at one time thought it was Benchmarks, but have 7 of them logged, so here is what my "Stats Page Says":

Your Caching Chronology

*You've found 2194 caches (2189 distinct) since your first cache find on .

Just curious if anyone else has this issue, and if so what to do to clear it up.

TY

That means that you have 5 duplicate logs. At some point you have logged 1 or more caches multiple times. Use mygeocachingprofile.com or GSAK to identify which ones and delete the duplicate logs.

Kool, never crossed my mind that I may have logged a double smiley. I'll start digging, anyone have an idea as to a GSAK Macro?

Curious , as usually I get emailed for a double smiley! LOL Just yesterday, had 3 fieldnotes from my IP4 post to a cache, not 2, but 3. So probably is the case.

TY

Edited by yawppy

Kool, never crossed my mind that I may have logged a double smiley. I'll start digging, anyone have an idea as to a GSAK Macro?

Curious , as usually I get emailed for a double smiley! LOL Just yesterday, had 3 fieldnotes from my IP4 post to a cache, not 2, but 3. So probably is the case.

TY

No need for a macro, just add the "fcount" column to the view and sort that field (click on the field name). Multiple logs will become evident quickly.

OK TY..I just went and CUT&Pasted, into an excel file, found 4, still have a one cache discrepancy, but at least it's clearing up!

will try that Fcount in GSAK.. but seems like they only post one log, so again thanks for the advice and help!

That could also mean that you were allowed to log a bonus smiley. On my stats you can see that I have four duplicates...those caches back then had tasks you could do to get another smiley out of it and at least one was because a person hid a cache, I found it, they moved it a bit and allowed people to hunt for it again.

I agree with Arthur and Trillian. It does not necessarily 'need' to be fixed. There were mystery and locationless caches that had changing objectives. When the objective changed, new logs were permitted, end encouraged. Then there are moving caches. Found one twice, a month or so apart, and seventy miles away. Mutiple logs also permitted and encouraged. So, there are exceptions. I have no problem that my 'distinct' finds number is nine less than my total finds.

On the other fin, logging twice the same cache in the same location is just silly. Or logging it again just because it moved sixty feet. :rolleyes:

I will have to try the Fcount method. So far I have used the Macro "MultiAndAllFinds.gsk to find my multiple "Found" logs.

After finding the multiple FINDS, I go into the geocaching.com cache page and delete the duplicate log and download the new GPX file. I then go into GSAK, delete the waypoint and Load the new GPX file in. It's a lot of work, but for some reason, I am meticulous about keeping my count accurate.