who is david garrett anyway?

2-Bitz

I recently purchased my first geocoin. When I received it a promotional tag for “Garrett world wide tour” accompanied my purchase. When I tried to activate it the error message said that it was already activated and that I was to use a reference number rather then the activation code that was provided. So at this point it is not in my inventory so I can not drop it. I’ve spent over 4 hours reading many posts and can not find anything about promotional tracking objects.

Can any one help me with this problem?

I recently purchased my first geocoin. When I received it a promotional tag for “Garrett world wide tour” accompanied my purchase. When I tried to activate it the error message said that it was already activated and that I was to use a reference number rather then the activation code that was provided. So at this point it is not in my inventory so I can not drop it. I’ve spent over 4 hours reading many posts and can not find anything about promotional tracking objects.

I also received one of these coins with an order...they are already activated..by Garrett. All we get to do with these TB'S is move them along...just a cheap promo item.. kind of cheesy if you ask me :(

Oh my goodness he put out 1500 of those promotional things.

Meh. I remember someone putting out about 24,000 jeep travel bugs. Where are they now?

bd

Good point. I kind of scanned a few pages of his travel bugs. If this is advertising for the concert I hope that there isn't some time limit as it seems that advertising is slow coming.

I also received one of these coins with an order...they are already activated..by Garrett. All we get to do with these TB'S is move them along...just a cheap promo item.. kind of cheesy if you ask me :(

Thanks for getting back to me. After hours of frustration last night trying to log this thing in, I kind of figured this would be the answer. I understand cheesy. It's like just adding another "trinket" to the cache. I guess someone will take it eventually. Sure would have liked one of those jeeps. :P

I just received a trackable item that I ordered from Groundspeak and included in the package was a trackable tag that was not part of the order. the tag is of and owned by a musician named david garrett. yes, the topic title asks, who is david garret, but I don't care to know that as much as I'd like to know what Groundspeak is up to. what sort of marketing ploy have they sent me? is this the beginning of of geo-marketing? am I to start seeing advertisements in geocaches?

where will it end?

I got one too, I guess he is a famous violinist in Germany maybe and Im just gonna put it in another cache

There were free "Expedia" TB dogtags included with some orders in December. If these things produce a moral quandary for someone, I have a standing offer that the unactivated TBs can be mailed to me.

Edited by kunarion

I think you can put anything on a travel bug, any agenda, as long as it's all "family friendly". I had a look at David Garrett's website and info... he looks quite friendly.

I guess if you want to form something like the Mad Duck and kunarian recorder and bassoon ensemble and go on tour then you too can buy 1500 TB tags and send them out to let folks know about it. :blink:

I'll try and attend and cheer...

MrsB ;)

Thanks for getting back to me. After hours of frustration last night trying to log this thing in, I kind of figured this would be the answer. I understand cheesy. It's like just adding another "trinket" to the cache. I guess someone will take it eventually. Sure would have liked one of those jeeps. :P

Those jeeps are still out there,..I picked one up in Feb. out of a cache in South Amboy New Jersey and dropped it into a cache near Valley Forge Pa...it has moved on from there since.

I'm a newbie cacher but I thought you couldn't use geocaching for any commercial purpose. Aren't these travel bugs just marketing to drum up business - in this case more ticket sales for David Garrett? Like the other poster said I would sure hate to see advertisements in caches!

Edited by GermWalker

I'm a newbie cacher but I thought you couldn't use geocaching for any commercial purpose. Aren't these travel bugs just marketing to drum up business - in this case more ticket sales for David Garrett? Like the other poster said I would sure hate to see advertisements in caches!

Travel bugs and coins don't not fall under the same guidelines as geocaches. You can release bugs that solicit for charities, advertise a businesses, etc.

That said, two things.

1. Using TB/coins for business or charities is fine, but from what I've seen I have to wonder about the impact. For example, the United for Diabetes geocoins were fun and meaningful, but did they do as well as any other type public announcement? Geoachers are not a majority population.

2. This is a family friendly site. Being allowed to release commercial or political travelers without review doesn't mean you won't have it locked down if deemed inappropriate.

Edited by BlueDeuce