very confused newby!

Hello all,

I have just found geocaching and am excited to start but am very confused, mainly about GPS. So you buy a handheld GPS then have to buy maps to go on it? Can you not just use the GPS without them? Do you even NEED a GPS, would a map and compas work just as well? If so can you just buy the cheapest GPS to get you going? Money is tight for us and geocaching looked an ideal way to keep me and the kids entertained cheeply but now its begining to look expensive with GPS and maps etc.

As you can tell I have no idea about any of this so any help greatly appreciated.

Hello all,

I have just found geocaching and am excited to start but am very confused, mainly about GPS. So you buy a handheld GPS then have to buy maps to go on it? Can you not just use the GPS without them? Do you even NEED a GPS, would a map and compas work just as well? If so can you just buy the cheapest GPS to get you going? Money is tight for us and geocaching looked an ideal way to keep me and the kids entertained cheeply but now its begining to look expensive with GPS and maps etc.

As you can tell I have no idea about any of this so any help greatly appreciated.

Yes you can cache with maps, a compass, and google maps, particularly if the cache has a decent hint. Many people started off like this.

Yes you can start with a cheap GPS, the Etrex H (yellow) is a good starter and can be had for about £60-70, but it doesn't have maps. You can also cache with smartphones if they have a GPS, or buy a bluetooth GPS for under £20 to use with a bluetooth handset.

If you do buy a mapping GPS then there are free maps available which are excellent (IMO), so I've never felt the need to buy maps.

Keep an eye out for an event cache in your area and get yourself along, I'm sure there will be every shape and size of GPS there for you to check out before parting with any cash, and you never know someone might have an old one going cheap.

Good luck, and welcome to the game.

Edit to add: I just had a look at your profile, and assuming the two finds you have are close to where you live then I think the Let's Go Public 2 The Revenge event, which is Easter Sunday, will be close(ish) to you.

Edited by MartyBartfast

We started with just a basic Etrex Legend and either an OS map in our hands or a print out of a section of OS map from gc.com - that was quite OK for our first 2 years. That's really all you need to get you started - no map package, no paperless caching just the distance and an arrow to point the way. If you get hooked, you can check out other cacher's GPSs and work out what you like for the money you can spend.

Take a look at my resource site, the page on GPS. It has a comparison table of all the main Garmin units, their approx price and the features (and maps) they run. Also explains about what maps are available (there are excellent free ones but they won't work on all units). Many people start off with the good old yellow eTrex - can be bought second hand quite inexpensively. Many people in fact keep using it and don't buy another one. It does the job!

Do you need maps? Not really, they are a nice to have. Do you need a GPS? Again not really, you can find many traditional caches from the hint and looking on Google maps. But it helps!

Best advice (as given above) is go to an event, meet other cachers and see what they use. They'll be only too happy to help! Do you have a 'smart' phone? iPhone, Android or Blackberry? There are applications you can get (inexpensive) to use them for geocaching.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Money is tight for us and geocaching looked an ideal way to keep me and the kids entertained cheeply but now its begining to look expensive with GPS and maps etc.

Once you've cleared all the caches local to you, the biggest expense is going to be the cost of the fuel to get to those further afield. If you're hooked, get a decent GPSr to start with. It's peanuts in comparison. I shudder when my stats show I've covered 35,000 km whilst caching! :unsure:

Money is tight for us and geocaching looked an ideal way to keep me and the kids entertained cheeply but now its begining to look expensive with GPS and maps etc.

Once you've cleared all the caches local to you, the biggest expense is going to be the cost of the fuel to get to those further afield. If you're hooked, get a decent GPSr to start with. It's peanuts in comparison. I shudder when my stats show I've covered 35,000 km whilst caching! :unsure:

The kids might lose interest so definately not worth spending a lot.

Will one of those cheap roadmaps do for starters, just mark the caches on it where you are planning to go/to work out your route? If you are caching with youngsters I doubt they will want to do many caches before they have had enough.

No need for OS maps unless you are going into the hills. Read the pages before you set off, note down any parking or directions and the hint.

You can always print off the odd map from your computer if needed.

Yes you definately need a GPS, you may find a few just by maps, a phone GPS may find a few before the battery goes flat.

I have been caching since 2004, still use yellow Etrex. Shop around on Fleabay for one. If you go to an event pick other peoples brains.

If you really get hooked, then yes you can buy an expensive GPS, Tomtom etc.

Yes it can be expensive to buy gadgets, yes it can be expensive for fuel, but then how much does it cost to get kids into a themepark - and it keeps them away from 'can I have ....' temptations.

Hi, ive been caching less than a year with 3 kids, now 12, 10 and 22 months. Weve got a Garmin etrex h, its only £60 and you dont have to put extra maps on it. Its the bright yellow one, i think i saw it in Argos. You just put the co ords of the cache in and it tells you how far away and in what direction the cache is in, we then use a paper map to work out how to get to the cache area and print off the cache details for the descrption, clue and recent logs.

As for the kids getting bored, i find you have to keep it exciting by finding different type of caches, in different types of areas. My eldest prefers tricky, clever ones, while my daughter prefers click n locks full of swaps. My kids have recently got re-excited about the whole thing because they are making their own caches to put out. Then there is events, another way of getting the kids excited. Multi caches are good too, because the kids like working out clues or putting coords together. Basically, i think its as exciting as you make it! Saying that, we didnt do any over winter as they didnt want to be walking for miles in rain and wind, but thats when park and grabs are good.

Anyway, goodluck xx

I'd agree with the comments about the etrex h 'yellow'. Have been 'caching for six months and it's been fine. Sure i'd like a more sophisticated unit and move up to paperless caching but frankly the etrex is fine at giving you basics - direction and distance to go to the cache. No maps needed and we just print out the cache details before we set off. I got mine in a sale at Go Outdoors for a staggering £50 - cheaper than some fetch on ebay. It's worth checking Argos, Amazon etc too. It's a lot of technology for not much money.

I and my partner are also ex Muggles, and are just getting into it, but so far no luck in finding any, but fear they have been moved, binned or discarded by unknowers, as it's a very busy town with lot's of Chav's floating about. And so looked for 2 and found 0 :( I am using a HTC WF with GCeo software (free app) MAYBE I'm looking far too hard.

Shame the caches themselves dont have transmitters, as anyone can just pick up and toss away a cache.

But I feel a new hobby coming on. Just need to learn the ropes.

I and my partner are also ex Muggles, and are just getting into it, but so far no luck in finding any, but fear they have been moved, binned or discarded by unknowers

I was so sure that was true when i first started hunting too!

I must have DNF'ed about 10 caches, that were later logged by finders having no problem at all.

I have been out caching with newbie friends, and I have stood there looking at a pile of 'obvious' Stick- o -flage and I'm wanting to scream:

CAN'T YOU SEE THAT ... ARE YOU BLIND?

Maybe those caches you seek have been moved, binned or disgarded by unknowers .... but i doubt it. :rolleyes:

I and my partner are also ex Muggles, and are just getting into it, but so far no luck in finding any, but fear they have been moved, binned or discarded by unknowers, as it's a very busy town with lot's of Chav's floating about. And so looked for 2 and found 0 :( I am using a HTC WF with GCeo software (free app) MAYBE I'm looking far too hard.

Shame the caches themselves dont have transmitters, as anyone can just pick up and toss away a cache.

Try going for a cache listed as Regular or Small in size rather than Other or Micro which means it could be a tiny little container. A larger container is easier to find! Read previous logs to make sure it is there and others have found it. The hint may be useful. In urban areas, tiny little magnetic caches on railings or other metal fixings along a street can be very hard to find - even for experienced cachers! Go for something larger in a park with a good hint. Once you find one you'll start to get your 'cachers eye' in and be able to spot hiding places. There is an app for Android phones from geocaching.com.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

I'm still using a cheapish Garmin Etrex Summit GPS, in combination with local maps - Ordnance Survey carry a lot of useful data eg grid lines, footpaths, which are vital to keep to public rights of way; in towns, cycle or pedestrian or tourist maps are good for identifying points of interest, street names, short cuts etc; in some places, maps produced for visitors to country parks etc can be useful, again to find easiest routes without climbing fences / walls, crossing flowerbeds etc, which tends to annoy the owners. As our computer printer isn't too good, printing maps off internet doesn't work very well.

I and my partner are also ex Muggles, and are just getting into it, but so far no luck in finding any, but fear they have been moved, binned or discarded by unknowers

I was so sure that was true when i first started hunting too!

I must have DNF'ed about 10 caches, that were later logged by finders having no problem at all.

I have been out caching with newbie friends, and I have stood there looking at a pile of 'obvious' Stick- o -flage and I'm wanting to scream:

CAN'T YOU SEE THAT ... ARE YOU BLIND?

Maybe those caches you seek have been moved, binned or disgarded by unknowers .... but i doubt it. :rolleyes:

I agree with that, we have only been doing it a very short time with a handful of finds. The first two we couldn't find, but went back later and found one of the 2. I couldn't find any from yesterdays little walk but my other half found all 3, I couldn't see them for looking, one being a micro that I even had my hand on. I'm looking to get a reasonable GPS as my mobile phone isn't accurate and its not helping at all. We have been using google maps etc which is fine for caches in the open but not so useful for wooded areas.

The best most expensive GPSr in the world will not usually get you any closer that 10 feet on a good day. It is almost impossible because the hider has the same limitations as you do. The chance of you both being right to within a foot is almost impossible. At this range it all comes down to skill and that is where the real fun starts.

This skill does not come naturally and must be learned. Give it time. You will surprise yourself. When I started my car would frequently get 'lost' in the parking lot :blink:

Four months later I can find a micro sized in the woods :ph34r:

Next year I be able to find a nano, possibly :anicute:

The biggest thing you can do is just enjoy the walk and the visits to places that you would not normally see. The rest all comes in time.

We, too, are newbies and I feel part of your problem could be with the c:geo app. I've been using it for the last 2 months and have been struggling, as you have, and it was only a couple of days ago when we went out with a friend who has a 'proper' GPS [Garmin something-or-other] that we discovered that the co-ordinates from the freebie app were up to 30 metres out :( When I got home I installed the Groundspeak Geocaching app (at a cost of £6.09), went out tonight and within minutes had located a cache which was a previous DNF - turns out I'd been sent about 50 feet away by c:geo ...... you're not looking far too hard - just far too far away !!