New guy, few beginner questions.

TeamKandT

first off, I absolutely love this, but I am totally new.

1, I have a motorola MB300 flipside with android 1.5 and an unlimited phone+data plan, and a garmin GPS 60, Are these going to be adequate?

2, If your answer is yes, please do more than JUST saying yes. please name apps you use or tips that would be useful. so I can get some ideas and try out. I've only been at this for about 8 hours so far, and have been using google maps printouts mainly, and with some initial success, but I want to get my gps or gps's involved soon.

3, I've found 2 cache's that were pretty damp, so I decided to post on the webpage I found them, but didn't risk trying to write on them due to their frailty. is it considered rude to not write on the log and only do it on the webpage? just curious about the etiquette.

4, One of my hobbies is 4x4 off roading, trail driving, and hazardous roads and trails. Most of these require a very capable vehicle and sometimes a winch and/or other vehicle assist tools. Would it be ok for me to stash a cache or two in some of these locations, and if so, where/how can I find others that require this kinda of effort? I'm not much of a hiker, but gimme a 4x4 and I'll take it to places where roads were not meant to be :)

3, I've found 2 cache's that were pretty damp, so I decided to post on the webpage I found them, but didn't risk trying to write on them due to their frailty. is it considered rude to not write on the log and only do it on the webpage? just curious about the etiquette.

Some cache owners and cachers are very picky about logging. Technically the online log can be deleted if there's no physical log (to be able to deal with the few who "armchair log" and didn't even visit or find the cache), most cache owners don't bother to do this. Some purist cachers start to foam a little at the mouth when someone mentions logging a find online without writing in the logbook. You'll see...

Sorry, I can't answer the other quuestions, but I suppose a cahce meant to be found with a 4x4 could be hidden and tagged with "special equipment needed" and with a high terrain rating.

1. Either device is acceptable. I know nothing of apps, because I use a GPSr (more durable, batteries last longer, etc.). Your GPS60 (I hope it is the CSx model) will do it all and do it exceptionally well, except collect more info out in the field. Premium Membership allows you to run Pocket Queries and load up to 1,000 caches into the unit in a single shot.

2. See above. You can punch in as many individual caches to the GPS60 as you like w/o Premium Membership. It does become a burden and tiresome.

3. Logging in the book is one of the cardinal rules (guideline, really). Many cache owners if they see your online log, but no signature in the log book or log sheet will delete your find. They have every right to do that. Occasionally, there are incidences that preclude signing, but by and large, they are rare. Wet log book probably is not one, to some.

4. Place a cache where you want, within the guidelines. Permission to place is probably the most important guideline requirement.

There is a lot more about cache placement. Read here about those guidelines: Guidelines

Some cache owners and cachers are very picky about logging. Technically the online log can be deleted if there's no physical log (to be able to deal with the few who "armchair log" and didn't even visit or find the cache), most cache owners don't bother to do this. Some purist cachers start to foam a little at the mouth when someone mentions logging a find online without writing in the logbook. You'll see...

Sorry, I can't answer the other quuestions, but I suppose a cahce meant to be found with a 4x4 could be hidden and tagged with "special equipment needed" and with a high terrain rating.

Thanks. And to be specific, one log was on a piece of like magnetic tape on a pole, which in a rainy state like oregon, doesn't keep the log very dry :) the other was a pill bottle with a hole drilled in the top and a lanyard hanging it from a tree, but the cord get's wet and got water in the bottle. in both cases the paper was extremely damp. I will, in the future, carry a better pen and maybe some paper to put in there if its too damp.

Edited by TeamKandT

1. Either device is acceptable. I know nothing of apps, because I use a GPSr (more durable, batteries last longer, etc.). Your GPS60 (I hope it is the CSx model) will do it all and do it exceptionally well, except collect more info out in the field. Premium Membership allows you to run Pocket Queries and load up to 1,000 caches into the unit in a single shot.

2. See above. You can punch in as many individual caches to the GPS60 as you like w/o Premium Membership. It does become a burden and tiresome.

3. Logging in the book is one of the cardinal rules (guideline, really). Many cache owners if they see your online log, but no signature in the log book or log sheet will delete your find. They have every right to do that. Occasionally, there are incidences that preclude signing, but by and large, they are rare. Wet log book probably is not one, to some.

4. Place a cache where you want, within the guidelines. Permission to place is probably the most important guideline requirement.

There is a lot more about cache placement. Read here about those guidelines: Guidelines

Thanks for the useful info.

I plan to revisit the caches I did not log in, and log them.

I don't actually plan to place a cache for a while, not till after I learn a bit, and feel I am a bit more active, but I already have a few spots picked out.

Edited by TeamKandT

Thanks. And to be specific, one log was on a piece of like magnetic tape on a pole, which in a rainy state like oregon, doesn't keep the log very dry :) the other was a pill bottle with a hole drilled in the top and a lanyard hanging it from a tree, but the cord get's wet and got water in the bottle. in both cases the paper was extremely damp. I will, in the future, carry a better pen and maybe some paper to put in there if its too damp.

Don't forget to log a Needs Maintenance when you find damaged caches or papier mache logs... :)

TeamKandT, if nothing else make a mark on the damp log. I have done this sometimes if the log is really wet. In my humble opinion you if you put your mark on the log you "signed" it. Also I carry spare logs with me now and if I need to I will add a log page that I can sign.

You might consider, along with the spare paper, carrying a little 'repair kit' with you ... small baggies and the like, tape, etc. It's a nice help to cache owners when minor repairs can be done like that. That said, I've found some with logs so soggy they weren't remotely signable ... so I log a Find and a Needs Maintenance, if I don't have spare paper. The pill bottle you described ought to have had a bag over the log to help it out anyway.

Good luck with your hide! Be sure to mark all the attributes that will give your seekers fair warning!

4, One of my hobbies is 4x4 off roading, trail driving, and hazardous roads and trails. Most of these require a very capable vehicle and sometimes a winch and/or other vehicle assist tools. Would it be ok for me to stash a cache or two in some of these locations, and if so, where/how can I find others that require this kinda of effort? I'm not much of a hiker, but gimme a 4x4 and I'll take it to places where roads were not meant to be :)

Ahhh...my husband and I used to be heavy into offroading for about 10 years. Miss the wheelin & the people, just don't miss the maintenance & upkeep!

I hope you are a fully responsible offroad enthusiast and only go offroad in dedicated offroad & adenture parks built & insured specifically for that purpose. Or, that you drive on land that is legal to drive on and you have permissin.

Whatever you plan to do in terms of hiding a cache on offroad trails - make sure its completely LEGAL for the general public to enter that land freely and/or get permission from the land owner. Make sure the land owner is in full understanding of what you are doing and what that means for them in terms of extra traffic/public visitors. Also, if you plant one at an offroad park - you can't have people in there after hours and they'll have to pay admission to access the cache during normal hours. Something else to keep in mind - Offroad parks are insured for their customers, not the general public. If someone gets hurt on the property, they might not be covered under the offroad park insurance policy. You'd need specific instructions in a cache that people can't enter after certain times and need to pay admission. Otherwise, you might have stragglers wander in...

Just be careful how you approach something like that.