What to say when you get caught.

Being creative, can be all well and fun, but begging for BIG trouble! Be honest, and tell them you're looking for a Geocache, and explain what geocaching is. If you give them some kind of made-up story, You're asking them to check the story, and when it doesn't pan out, they'll be back to see if they can find what you were doing, or worse, Bring the authorities! (read BOMB SQUAD!) BombSquad.jpg

Then, it's really gonna raise havoc.. To say nothing of a bill a local cacher has, for a call from the squad, for his cache. (since is email address was in the log book, which somehow survived the disarming.)

Yes this may be true but this is all hypothetical for laughs. True, you will nearly always tell the truth. This is just for fun but i guess everyone thinks I'm asking for real suggestions. I just want to hear some clever hypothetical responses.

Oh! Then I suggest that you dress up in full Star Trek costume, stare intently at your gpsr, and mutter about "unusual tricorder readings" and "rifts in the space/time continuum" whenever someone is in earshot. You won't have to answer any questions--everybody will stay WELL away from you! :laughing:

Nice...but I still like my idea better:

This is what you always do:

"AHHHHH!!! Run everybody, its a muffle!!!"

This way they definitely won't think you are weird or up to something!

Only happened once so far but I wear a bright orange safety vest which usually people leave you alone assuming you're suppose to be there doing something but the 1 person who asked, I remembered the nearest store before getting there and said:

"***** had a snake come out of a packaging box from India and it was last seen somewhere around here."

The muggle jumped a good 3 feet straight up, since they were next to the only good hiding spot for a snake. He vacated the area pretty quick. They never considered it was like 33 degrees out.

If a kid ever asked, I think I'll state: "The murder weapon."

I don't wear a vest and would not tell someone I was looking for a snake or doing anything else apart from what I am doing. Even if that works the first time, if they are local they might begin to wonder why people keep coming there to look for snakes. My gpsr does not look like a cell phone (unless I am using my iphone), I do not work for the city inspecting anything, and nobody would believe it if I acted any more official than I am.

So I just talk about geocaching. Or use the standard line about how I am using the government's satellites to find a container. It works for me. As one person told me, after I retrieved cache placed in the skirt of a flagpole, in a garden area surrounded by occupied benches, "People do not seem so strange when you know what they are doing."

Edited by mulvaney

I thought the whole idea was to not get caught.

What ever gave you that idea?

I thought the whole idea was to follow my GPS signal to a place a cache owner wanted to show me, find the container he hid there, and sign the log.

Edited to add: "get caught" implies that one is doing something one shouldn't be doing. I'm not doing anything wrong, so "getting caught" is not relevant.

Edited by GeoGeeBee

I thought the whole idea was to follow my GPS signal to a place a cache owner wanted to show me, find the container he hid there, and sign the log.

Edited to add: "get caught" implies that one is doing something one shouldn't be doing. I'm not doing anything wrong, so "getting caught" is not relevant.

I've seen this mentioned a few times in the forum. "Get caught" does not imply you are doing something you shouldn't. While it could imply that, more often it just means you are doing something you want to keep under the radar for whatever reason. However it does not have to be something you shouldn't be doing.

When I am caching I make an effort to find and sign the cache without being seen by those not in the game. What I am doing is just fine. If someone outside the game catches me, I feel I "got caught". I do not feel I was doing anything wrong. :P

I've seen this mentioned a few times in the forum. "Get caught" does not imply you are doing something you shouldn't. While it could imply that, more often it just means you are doing something you want to keep under the radar for whatever reason. However it does not have to be something you shouldn't be doing.

When I am caching I make an effort to find and sign the cache without being seen by those not in the game. What I am doing is just fine. If someone outside the game catches me, I feel I "got caught". I do not feel I was doing anything wrong. :P

I never heard of anyone who "got caught" while innocent of any wrongdoing. A Baptist might "get caught" buying whiskey, but a Presbyterian just runs into a neighbor at the liquor store. :)

If you have the mindset of "mustn't get caught" while geocaching in a crowded area, you are just going to attract attention to yourself by looking suspicious.

I never heard of anyone who "got caught" while innocent of any wrongdoing. A Baptist might "get caught" buying whiskey, but a Presbyterian just runs into a neighbor at the liquor store. :)

If you have the mindset of "mustn't get caught" while geocaching in a crowded area, you are just going to attract attention to yourself by looking suspicious.

You are looking at this with a very narrow view. What if the neighbor that the Presbyterian happens to run into at the liquor store, is the friend he is buying a gift for? He is doing nothing wrong in buying his friend a birthday gift of whiskey, but he sure doesn't want to spoil the surprise by getting "caught".

My wife and her sister still laugh at the time her sister walked into the bed room and "caught" their parent. The parents were not doing anything wrong, but they sure didn't feel good about getting caught.

Have you ever been caught hiding Easter eggs, laying out Christmas presents, planning a surprise birthday party, or any number of innocent things you do not want to get caught while doing?

While I will agree the mindset of "mustn't get caught" while geocaching, will just attract attention to you. I also feel the mindset of making a reasonable effort at avoiding getting caught is great.

Those of you that feel you have to be doing something wrong in order to be "caught" need to look the word and it's various meanings up.

Being creative, can be all well and fun, but begging for BIG trouble! Be honest, and tell them you're looking for a Geocache, and explain what geocaching is. If you give them some kind of made-up story, You're asking them to check the story, and when it doesn't pan out, they'll be back to see if they can find what you were doing, or worse, Bring the authorities! (read BOMB SQUAD!) BombSquad.jpg

Then, it's really gonna raise havoc.. To say nothing of a bill a local cacher has, for a call from the squad, for his cache. (since is email address was in the log book, which somehow survived the disarming.)

Yes this may be true but this is all hypothetical for laughs. True, you will nearly always tell the truth. This is just for fun but i guess everyone thinks I'm asking for real suggestions. I just want to hear some clever hypothetical responses.

Oh! Then I suggest that you dress up in full Star Trek costume, stare intently at your gpsr, and mutter about "unusual tricorder readings" and "rifts in the space/time continuum" whenever someone is in earshot. You won't have to answer any questions--everybody will stay WELL away from you! :laughing:

Or, you could dress like this cacher, and nobody would dare question you.

24148_200.jpg

no, "get caught" to me means that someone sees the cache and takes or harms the cache after you leave.

Yesterday I was caching on the boardwalk in Ocean City NJ.

An older guy walked over to us as we pulled the cache from under the boardwalk to sign it. He asked if we were on some sort of scavenger hunt.

Judging by the number of people that had found it earlier in the day, I bet this guy just got curious after seeing at least half a dozen groups walk to this spot, reach under the wood and pull out a pill bottle. He got curious enough to ask.

We said "Yes, a high-tech treasure hunt". He said "Oh" and walked away satisfied.

Fun as these ideas may be to come up with and share, I hope no one actually uses these (and the ones in the other 372 renditions of this topic.) There's nothing wrong with geocaching and making up lies just makes people think there is. If you don't want to explain about geocaching, use the response non-creative people do: say "nothing" and they'll probably be on their way.

"What are you doing?"

"Nothing."

"What are you looking for?"

"Nothing."

"What's that?"

"Nothing."

The very worst muggle to be caught by is a young male. Well, more than one boy is exponentially worse than one boy. I try to never get caught by them.
Why? What's wrong with young males?

My friends and I are totally gonna make a game out of asking people who look like they're geocaching what they're doing and see what answers we get.

I wear my work clothes during the day when I cache. I do sales and estimating for a local contractor. My clothes look like a city or water works employee/inspector, and I wear a ballcap. I also walk with a folder and my phone just in case anyone calls while caching. I look very official, I guess because nobody ever bothers me. I was caching alone on an out of the way trail near an urban area one day when I came upon a muggle right at the cache GZ all by herself with her dog. I was afraid that she would be scared by me walking back here while she was alone. She came walking right up to me and asked if I worked for the city. I quickly said "yes" as not to scare her. She said "Good, are you finally here to get that S.O.B. homeless guy that is living in a tent over here and yelling at the hills all day and night out of here? We have been waiting for you guys to get out here forever! Get his a** out now! Come on he is over here!" I then said I was not here for that, I was just inspecting the trail after the rains" She then proceeded to read me the riot act about how the city and county are worthless and I need to get the guy out of there, with some four letter words sprinkled in! I said I would look into it and proceeded on my way as she walked off grumbling under her breath. That was the first and last time I made up a story of what I was doing! I will now always tell the truth!

Edited by angelsfan33

Fun as these ideas may be to come up with and share, I hope no one actually uses these (and the ones in the other 372 renditions of this topic.) There's nothing wrong with geocaching and making up lies just makes people think there is. If you don't want to explain about geocaching, use the response non-creative people do: say "nothing" and they'll probably be on their way.

"What are you doing?"

"Nothing."

"What are you looking for?"

"Nothing."

"What's that?"

"Nothing."

The very worst muggle to be caught by is a young male. Well, more than one boy is exponentially worse than one boy. I try to never get caught by them.
Why? What's wrong with young males?

My friends and I are totally gonna make a game out of asking people who look like they're geocaching what they're doing and see what answers we get.

I think I'll do the same.

I just tell them about geocaching & some of the places or things I have seen along the way. Everyone that I have mentioned that too seemed to somewhat interested in it. However when one of my team's caches was politely blown up by the Erie County Bomb Squad & I was contacted by the State Police about it, I told them the same thing & they seemed to be even more lost than before.

When I explained to the investigating trooper about it, I simply told her when she had some free time to drive down a road that she is very familiar with and she what she notices. Then walk that very same section of road & she then what she missed as she drove down the road before. Needless to say she was very surprised. :blink::laughing:

I was searching for a cache near Old Town Sacramento and had my camera with me. As I waited for a gap in the muggle traffic to grab the cache, I took pictures of the structure that the cache was hidden in when this guy walks up to me and asks what am I doing? I say that I'm talking pictures for an art class on abstract structures, items so forth. He seems satisfied with my response and goes on his way. Now I always carry a camera with me so I can "take pictures" of the area.

I'm intrigued by the secrecy angle of caching ....

Is it normal for caches to be damaged or stolen immediately after a cacher has been seen visiting?

I suppose with kids it would be irresistable for them to go and find whatever it is that the cacher has just found ... and I'd agree (having worked with them, and enjoyed doing so) that teenagers of either gender find it difficult to see the wider picture - cache is part of an international game - rather than the immediate entertainment - let's kick it all around the field and then it'll be really hard to find.

I'd better be thankful that we were a reasonable distance away from our first cache when my 6 year old was first heard by someone as he sang 'I found the treasure' at the top of his voice ... luckily too that we're living in Sweden and it takes most folk a few minutes to reguster and translate what that rapid high-pitched excited child voice was actually saying ...

Helen

The other day, I was looking for a Multi cache that go figure I had the wrong coordinates so I spent a bunch of time looking in the wrong area. Anyhow in my search in the rain at night I sat down to reread the hints when some girls that were driving by leaned out their window to ask what I was doing. I relied that I was just "chillin" they just said "oh" and drove off. Then it hit me right after they drove off I should have said " waiting for you" darn my slow wit.

A couple of years ago, while looking for a cache near the river in Nashville, I was approached by homeless man with a dog, who had apparently had his camp in a nearby wooded area. He politely told me that whatever I was looking for was not there. He said he occasionally saw others come to the very same spot with odd little gizmos who appeared to be looking for something.

I explained geocaching to him, and afterward, with an odd expression he said "and people think I'm crazy."

Only times I've felt caught out were when caching with my husband, coming out of the undergrowth looking somewhat dishevelled, with himself following me also looking like he's been dragged through a hedge backwards. The scarlet blush on my face seems all they need for them to turn away and hurry on!

Only had it happen once, I was walking up a road approaching a cache when someone was closing the gates across the road - which confused me, why would the cache be there? He said "Can I help you".. to which I responded "I'm looking for the footpath", to which he motioned "Over there" and I went on my way. What he thought I was up to I don't know!

I've been spotted once so far, maybe not a good average with only 10 finds. My son and I were looking for one in the brush off the side a grocery store parking lot when a young man walked by and simply said "that's a tough one, but I found it!" and he continued walking away. He was right. That's on my DNF list for now... :unsure:

Well, I dot use this while caching, but:

Muggle: what are you doing?

Cacher: well...um...I'm searching for Easter eggs.

Muggle gives puzzled look as it is July

Next thing you know, a cop makes way toward you.

And you tell him the same exact story.

Seriously, don't use this.

I've seen a number of trail cards around now that explain the sport.. as well as the official GC hand out that is in PDF format on their site..

But I now also carry a few copies of my geocaching magazine in the car to show cachers or muggles and it has a "newbies" section so that helps.

Edited by jgc3

I've been spotted once so far, maybe not a good average with only 10 finds. My son and I were looking for one in the brush off the side a grocery store parking lot when a young man walked by and simply said "that's a tough one, but I found it!" and he continued walking away. He was right. That's on my DNF list for now... :unsure:

hehe! I got caught like that once too, I was looking for a cache with my wife and a guy came up to me and said "You're looking in the right place!", and handed me the cache, seems he'd been in his car, signing the log!

Just had someone ask me if I found it yet, 3 times in 3 days. Each time I had already found it and was getting back in my car.

And they weren't geocachers? Typically, that question ("Did you find it yet?") comes from either cache owners, or cachers that have already found the cache. Seems like an odd question for a muggle.

I cache with kids ... inconspicuous we are not. If someone asks, we tell them we're geocaching, and explain it as a sort of treasure hunt or scavenger hunt. Either they are satisfied and move on, or they are interested and you've got new friends. Or, bonus, they're cachers too and give you a hand!

I've ended up in some ludicrous spots, but only twice has it been iffy ... once when I parked the car on what I *thought* was a dead end gravel road off a main road, so I could check out a nearby benchmark ... left my two kids in the car because it was chilly and they were tired. Turns out it was a driveway and I blocked the guy leaving ... and he was about to call the cops about two abandoned kids! He didn't see me because I'd just stooped down to check for the benchmark and was out of his line of view. I walked back in a hurry (never did find that darn benchmark) and explained, and he was really nice about it. I thanked him, of course, for being so concerned about the kids, because he did exactly the right things as a strange man who sees two kids alone. And I drove home quite shaken up!

The other iffy one was recently, when I dragged the whole family back to one spot I've checked a zillion times and can't find the micro. What with the power still being out (I'm in the tornado-stricken region), everyone's pretty much outside, and of course there was someone on a porch watching us that I didn't see at first. She was very concerned about what we were up to. I ended up giving her a pretty good explanation, as a courtesy to any cachers who come after me, because the neighbors certainly have a right to know what's up in their area! She thought we'd dropped something or lost a pet down the nearby ditch. So at least any other cachers will have an easier time in that spot. And I hope they find the thing, we sure can't.

My funniest was the time I tried to sit and read (was on my own) while waiting for a group to clear out of the area of the park where GZ should've been. Turned out to be a prayer meeting and they decided to do some evangelizing on their way out. Multilingual group too ... I'd love to know how 'geocaching' got translated. And even the prayers didn't help me find it that day ... took another try later. LOL. But they were nice folks, if a bit puzzled.

today i was seeking out a cache at a busy public access in west central MN one fisherman asked me what i was looking for. i had to use the line i have used many times over....i am looking for army worms....so far no one has ever asked for more information but if they did i have some more bs i could throw in there!

There is a caching legend in our area who doesn't cache anymore due to health issues, and we are always out maintaining his caches so that people can continue enjoying them. Well, one of the caches had a few dnfs, and I hadn't found it myself, so we went to go check on it. It was a magnetic hide a key underneath an old hay-baler covered in grapevines and surrounded by cacti. Good old Texas. So it's one in the morning and my girlfriend and our coworker are out looking for this pesky thing and the sheriff drove by. Asked us if we needed help and we said we were fine. Asked us what we were doing and we said, "geocaching" He said "oh", and drove off.

Right when we found it he had driven back and asked us what geocaching was. Another one of my caching idols always tells me to be honest with the fine officers of the law, so it didn't even occur to me to make anything up, and it certainly didn't occur to me that other people would lie to the sherrif. Come to find out, he stopped a bunch of kids out at the hay-baler three times before, (the group that logged three consecutive dnfs that made us go out to begin with)... the first time they told him they were picking cacti (eh... plausible), the second time they told him they were looking for their cat, and the third time they were smartmouths and said they were looking for drugs.

Once we showed him the container and the log, and he was convinced that we weren't using billion dollar satellites to deal drugs in his little po-dunk town, he left, we replaced the container and went home for the night. :P

Scavenger hunt seems to work pretty well without having to go into a long explanation of what is geocaching.

We were out in the woods and some guy asked us if we morel hunting. I thought that would be pretty good until someone asked which ones were poisonous :)

GeoHubby (said politely) "Sir, Maam, we're investigating a crime scene. Have you noticed any suspicous activity in the area lately"

Just what you'd expect from a former LEO (which he is) :lol:

I got 'caught' by the UK police sat in a layby waiting for the GPSr to pick up a satellite signal for a nearby cache a couple days back, to be fair was about midnight. I explained what I was doing and saw the glazed look on his face. All I got was 'I believe you but thousands wont'. Honesty is the best policy!

I'm a maintainance mechanic dressed in uniform searching on a steel foot bridge over a river in town. I wear assorted gear pouches and was using a mirror to check the underside of surfaces for a magnetic cache. A guy pops out of the bushes at the end of the bridge and strolls over to me asking to bum a cigarette. I don't smoke and have nothing to give him so he then asks what I'm doing. I think the cigarette was a ruse. I tell him I'm bidding on a contract to paint the bridge and inspecting the condition of the previous paint job. I then showed him the unpainted underside of the hand rail and explained that the town would have to pay me more to do the job right. He seemed to buy my story and said," See you around", as he strolled away.

I cache with kids ... inconspicuous we are not. If someone asks, we tell them we're geocaching, and explain it as a sort of treasure hunt or scavenger hunt. Either they are satisfied and move on, or they are interested and you've got new friends. Or, bonus, they're cachers too and give you a hand!

I've ended up in some ludicrous spots, but only twice has it been iffy ... once when I parked the car on what I *thought* was a dead end gravel road off a main road, so I could check out a nearby benchmark ... left my two kids in the car because it was chilly and they were tired. Turns out it was a driveway and I blocked the guy leaving ... and he was about to call the cops about two abandoned kids! He didn't see me because I'd just stooped down to check for the benchmark and was out of his line of view. I walked back in a hurry (never did find that darn benchmark) and explained, and he was really nice about it. I thanked him, of course, for being so concerned about the kids, because he did exactly the right things as a strange man who sees two kids alone. And I drove home quite shaken up!

The other iffy one was recently, when I dragged the whole family back to one spot I've checked a zillion times and can't find the micro. What with the power still being out (I'm in the tornado-stricken region), everyone's pretty much outside, and of course there was someone on a porch watching us that I didn't see at first. She was very concerned about what we were up to. I ended up giving her a pretty good explanation, as a courtesy to any cachers who come after me, because the neighbors certainly have a right to know what's up in their area! She thought we'd dropped something or lost a pet down the nearby ditch. So at least any other cachers will have an easier time in that spot. And I hope they find the thing, we sure can't.

My funniest was the time I tried to sit and read (was on my own) while waiting for a group to clear out of the area of the park where GZ should've been. Turned out to be a prayer meeting and they decided to do some evangelizing on their way out. Multilingual group too ... I'd love to know how 'geocaching' got translated. And even the prayers didn't help me find it that day ... took another try later. LOL. But they were nice folks, if a bit puzzled.

I didn't see a zillion DNF's on the caches you found. Whats up? :rolleyes:

Our local news media has recently run stories on geocaching, so most people that I come across near a cache have some idea what I'm talking about. I usually try to ignore people so they don't ask what I'm doing, but if they look like I might be frightening them, I tell them the truth. The last muggle I told spotted a cache for me when I was just about ready to give up. I don't know if he followed up with checking it out online, but he and his wife were sure excited that he found it.

I didn't see a zillion DNF's on the caches you found. Whats up? :rolleyes:

LOL. I guess it just feels like a zillion. I don't log every attempt I make on some of them, just when they're spaced out over time or I've given it a really good search again ... I don't want to clutter up someone's logs and scare off other cachers, because the more experienced folks will find what I've overlooked and that's helpful all around! I just log enough DNFs to let a cache owner know what's up over time.

Well, and my ego won't let me admit how many failures I have on some of those. LOL.

Had some fun muggle run-ins lately ... sigh.

Edited by KristenSh

2 schools of thought from one cacher...

If caught near the scene... I've lost something... Something I have in my pocket... So they can help me find it!

If caught in the act... I tell them about the game, show them what I'm doing... They either:

1) come back and remove the cache, though this has never happened, I always watch such caches.

2) think I'm an idiot

3) go GPSr shopping

As I try and avoid Urbans and micros, I tend to encounter serious walkers, some have GPSr already... One took co-ords for a couple of caches... And logged them that very day.

I don't see the need to hide what we do.

I would admit, urban runs a higher risk of a damaged/mia if getting spotted or caught. Recently I was finding one in bushes and know that people spotted me. A while later, saw them rummagin around in said bushes. They must have been really puzzled at what I was doing, as they never found it.

I would admit, urban runs a higher risk of a damaged/mia if getting spotted or caught. Recently I was finding one in bushes and know that people spotted me. A while later, saw them rummagin around in said bushes. They must have been really puzzled at what I was doing, as they never found it.

Did you give them the hint?