Spoiler photos !

I have recently found an EXCEPTIONALLY good cache.

It is exquisite and imaginative, painstakingly-handcrafted, and guaranteed to cause the lucky discoverer to gasp with surprise and delight !

Later, on geocaching.com, I saw that a previous cacher had posted a complete spoiler photo onto the cache's gallery. Fortunately for me I hadn't seen this before I set off to find this amazing cache - but my spontaneous delight WOULD have been zero-ed if I had.

I know that there is a disclaimer warning on the cache page about spoilers, but surely spoilers should be banned completely. How on earth can you view the gallery of the other happy, and tantalising photos of past finders, without running the risk?

When you are researching a cache, it's great to see pictures of the surrounding area to give you an idea of the locale, but to actually give the whole game away is really stupid in my opinion.

Does the cache owner have administrative powers to remove spoiler photos that others have uploaded?

Is it an outburst of over-enthusiastic exuberance that compells these people to COMPLETELY give the game away? I can think of no other explanation. But in any event, they have clearly misunderstood the whole concept of treasure hunting - what on earth do they want - an EXTRA pat on the back for being so clever?

The only recognition that I can bestow on such people is that they are WITLESS KILLJOYS and need to be (gently) enlightened .....

Yes, this makes me soooooo ANGRY!

It is exquisite and imaginative, painstakingly-handcrafted, and guaranteed to cause the lucky discoverer to gasp with surprise and delight !

Later, on geocaching.com, I saw that a previous cacher had posted a complete spoiler photo onto the cache's gallery. Fortunately for me I hadn't seen this before I set off to find this amazing cache - but my spontaneous delight WOULD have been zero-ed if I had.

I know that there is a disclaimer warning on the cache page about spoilers, but surely spoilers should be banned completely. How on earth can you view the gallery of the other happy, and tantalising photos of past finders, without running the risk?

When you are researching a cache, it's great to see pictures of the surrounding area to give you an idea of the locale, but to actually give the whole game away is really stupid in my opinion.

Does the cache owner have administrative powers to remove spoiler photos that others have uploaded?

Is it an outburst of over-enthusiastic exuberance that compells these people to COMPLETELY give the game away? I can think of no other explanation. But in any event, they have clearly misunderstood the whole concept of treasure hunting - what on earth do they want - an EXTRA pat on the back for being so clever?

The only recognition that I can bestow on such people is that they are WITLESS KILLJOYS and need to be (gently) enlightened .....

Yes... BUT... the only way to do it is to remove the whole log. It's not possible to remove only the spoiler photograph.

We've had some experience of this problem with one of our own caches which has a particularly interesting container. As an owner, one doesn't always notice immediately that a spoiler pic has been added to the log. I recently checked up on some logs from the last 4-5 months and found 4 pics of happy finders with the container. I emailed each one very politely, asking if they would kindly remove the spoiler photo to keep the surprise a secret for future finders. Three responded along the lines of, "Oooo, sorry, yes, will remove it - We just didn't think..." and from one I got a slightly snotty response along the lines of, "Well, there are other such photos on the gallery page already so I'll just remove all three of my photos on the log then I won't be treading on any toes, will I?" <_<

Over in the Feedback Forum there's a suggestion that owners should be able to remove spoiler pics so you might like to vote/comment on it here:

Ability to remove spoiler pics attached to logs.

MrsB :)

No, I am not referring to that photo, and in my opinion that is not a spoiler.

But you are referring to that cache, aren't you. So you're referring to a photo that's since been deleted? Then there's no problem, is there. The cacher posting the spoiler made a mistake, and that mistake has now been rectified either by the cacher in question or by the CO.

If I'm right about the hide then I would regard your photo as a spoiler. It's drawn my attention to an object that I might otherwise have failed to notice was a geo-concealment.

(Edit to quote OP, since MrsB got in with a reply before I could.)

Edited by I!
No, I am not referring to that photo, and in my opinion that is not a spoiler.

But you are referring to that cache, aren't you. So you're referring to a photo that's since been deleted? Then there's no problem, is there. The cacher posting the spoiler made a mistake, and that mistake has now been rectified either by the cacher in question or by the CO.

If I'm right about the hide then I would regard your photo as a spoiler. It's drawn my attention to an object that I might otherwise have failed to notice was a geo-concealment.

(Edit to quote OP, since MrsB got in with a reply before I could.)

I am not referring to that cache.

I have deliberately not referred to the cache in question because I do not want to advertise the spoiler.

The whole point of posting this issue is because it had irritated me to such an extent that I wanted to hear the views of others. I also wanted to know if a CO has administrative powers to remove a spoiler photo. I also wanted to draw attention to well-meaning but perhaps over enthusiastic cachers who unwittingly spoil the spontaneity for others. It is not the LOCATION photo that concerns me (any half decent GPS unit will bring you to GZ) it is a picture actually SHOWING the cache itself - particularly when the cache is unusual and exceptional in it's construction. THAT is what spoils the surprise.

Yes... BUT... the only way to do it is to remove the whole log. It's not possible to remove only the spoiler photograph.

We've had some experience of this problem with one of our own caches which has a particularly interesting container. As an owner, one doesn't always notice immediately that a spoiler pic has been added to the log. I recently checked up on some logs from the last 4-5 months and found 4 pics of happy finders with the container. I emailed each one very politely, asking if they would kindly remove the spoiler photo to keep the surprise a secret for future finders. Three responded along the lines of, "Oooo, sorry, yes, will remove it - We just didn't think..." and from one I got a slightly snotty response along the lines of, "Well, there are other such photos on the gallery page already so I'll just remove all three of my photos on the log then I won't be treading on any toes, will I?" <_<

Over in the Feedback Forum there's a suggestion that owners should be able to remove spoiler pics so you might like to vote/comment on it here:

Thanks Mrs B

It seems like a thorny issue and I shall certainly vote/comment on the link that you suggest. I guess the ideal solution is for the CO to specifically request people NOT to post spoiler photos. It's just that one presumes that people would not be so thoughtless in the first place. I don't want to embarrass anyone for what can clearly be seen as the sort of thing you clasp your hand over your mouth in horror and say " ohhhh SORRY - I just didn't think ..."

Thanks again

SatelliteStar

Well now I'm intrigued. How about posting that cache reference.

Hmmm now let me think ... I am trying to preserve the mystery and wit and subtlety of a fabulous cache by trying to get a spoiler picture removed from it's gallery and you want me to broadcast the cache reference (so the spoiler can be viewed by one and all) ? I don't think this is such a good idea.

However, taking Mrs B's advice, I have emailed the CO, and have let them know about it. It is therefore up to them if they want to keep the spoiler pic there or not.

Mind you ... If the spoiler pic does get removed, I would be more than happy to let you know ;-)

Well now I'm intrigued. How about posting that cache reference.

Hmmm now let me think ... I am trying to preserve the mystery and wit and subtlety of a fabulous cache by trying to get a spoiler picture removed from it's gallery and you want me to broadcast the cache reference (so the spoiler can be viewed by one and all) ? I don't think this is such a good idea.

However, taking Mrs B's advice, I have emailed the CO, and have let them know about it. It is therefore up to them if they want to keep the spoiler pic there or not.

Mind you ... If the spoiler pic does get removed, I would be more than happy to let you know ;-)

I think that is maybe a tad unkind, you are advertising a 'fabulous cache' but won't let us know which it is. Surely armed with that knowledge it is then up to the seeker to decide whether to look at the gallery first. As a matter of interest I seldom look at the gallery first and if I am cherry picking from GSAK often don't even look at the cache page before going out. But will look at the text on my PDA if I am stuck whilst searching. I am 99% sure that another caching organisation can superimpose a blank 'SPOILER' notice over such pictures and this requires a further click to reveal the picture. This seems to me to be the most elegant and sensible solution. So please where is it??

You started the thread ... what did you expect? Here it is, I think: (link).

You started the thread ... what did you expect? Here it is, I think: (link).

As I said before, IF the spoiler picture is removed, I will be happy to share the cache reference with you !

Meanwhile, it is up to the CO.

Blimey I didn't know there were so many "quality" cache-hunters out there. Are we all growing weary of tupperware?

>snipped< ... I am trying to preserve the mystery and wit and subtlety of a fabulous cache by trying to get a spoiler picture removed from it's gallery and you want me to broadcast the cache reference (so the spoiler can be viewed by one and all) ? I don't think this is such a good idea.

A new(ish) cacher posted a photo for a multicache I'd previously found, with the sign in the background that had the clues to the cache... :o

I sent an email to them and explained, that as a previous finder, it does rather spoil the cache for others trying to find it.

They deleted the photo themselves.

You do realise that this just a game don't you?

I realised some time back that it really isn't worth getting wound up about as people will just do it their way anyway.

>snipped< ... I am trying to preserve the mystery and wit and subtlety of a fabulous cache by trying to get a spoiler picture removed from it's gallery and you want me to broadcast the cache reference (so the spoiler can be viewed by one and all) ? I don't think this is such a good idea.

A new(ish) cacher posted a photo for a multicache I'd previously found, with the sign in the background that had the clues to the cache... :o

I sent an email to them and explained, that as a previous finder, it does rather spoil the cache for others trying to find it.

They deleted the photo themselves.

Thanks, Bear & Ragged - perhaps I should have just quietly done the same - but I didn't want to interfere directly - lesson learnt.

However, it IS interesting to know how different people regard Spoilers.

I have definitely voted for a feature that allows the CO to be in control over what pics people post to their cache's gallery.

You do realise that this just a game don't you?

I realised some time back that it really isn't worth getting wound up about as people will just do it their way anyway.

Hi Icenians - and yes of course I know that it is just a game ... an element of which involves sticking one's neck out on the forum and getting opinioned back !

That's part of the fun, isn't it?

Okay , so I got carried away by rhetoric, but I didnt mean any ill will ( just as I am sure the spoiler posters didn't , either). I just woke up this morning feeling really strongly about how much endeavour had gone into a cache, only to have it 'spoiled' by a picture posted by someone who didn't have the same sensitivities.

No harm in trying to express an opinion. ;-)

You are probably right - I should never have bothered to say anything

After reading this thread I have cast my mind back to all the pictures I have enthusiastically posted in my relatively short caching life and it is quite possible that I have accidently posted a spoiler pic. Of course its never the exact spot but I can't say I move far away enough from GZ to not be a possible spoiler.

So to the point, firstly I think the majority would respond to a C.O. request with a 'oops sorry!' however I do feel the suggestion of the C.O. having the ability to mask the spoiler pic as a spoiler (having to click again to view) is a great idea. In effect it becomes another clue if you want/need it.

However, in the meantime with the site how it is, I think anyone having a good look at the photos prior to or during the search is purposefully looking for hints ... therefore they have chosen to take that extra self accomplishment out of it themselves. Each to their own. Because of having two young boys in tow, I have to resort to these tactics at times to find the cache (and stop the whinging).

I know that there is a disclaimer warning on the cache page about spoilers, but surely spoilers should be banned completely.

Sometimes a spoiler can help GZ avoid damage from overenthusiastic hunters.

Personally I don't normally check the gallery before hunting unless I'm taking the kids - my point being... I have a choice over how much or how little I wish to know about a cache.

I find spoliers to be a great help at times but unless I'm going for one thats going to require a bit of a walk I don't usualy look at them until after I have returned from DNF'ing a cache.

I currently use the greasemonkey scripy GC Tidy, which amongst other things shows any images posted in the logs so I never actualy have to visit the gallery,

it has the added bonus that any picture marked as a spoiler appears as a question mark so you don't see it unless you make the choice to click on it.

Edited by Raver Dave

I asked on the main part of the forum to have the ability to remove spoiler pictures. It happens all the time to one of my earthcaches. That was over 2 years ago and was told it would be implemented......still waiting.

I also just wanted to say that one or two of the posts on this thread can only be described as nasty and just trying to show the OP up. :mad: :mad:

What am I missing here? These logs and photo's are 'spoilers' - the clue is in the name isn't it. If you click on them then your 'spoiling' the mystery, so if that is how you want to play the game then do it, if not then don't - the power is in your hands.

Or is it that what you really want is a general gallery of things like views on the way to the cache plus a real spoiler section that identifies the location etc - then you really can choose to know more or not?

What am I missing here? These logs and photo's are 'spoilers' - the clue is in the name isn't it. If you click on them then your 'spoiling' the mystery, so if that is how you want to play the game then do it, if not then don't - the power is in your hands.

Or is it that what you really want is a general gallery of things like views on the way to the cache plus a real spoiler section that identifies the location etc - then you really can choose to know more or not?

What you're missing is that the term spoiler is just a description of a picture that spoils the hunt. A lot of people tend to post them but don't describe them as spoilers.

Would that were the case. I have adopted a very popular cache and the page quite clearly says those posting spoiler pics will have their log deleted (after having gone through the "please will you remove this" option more times than I've had hot dinners). The time that I allow for a cacher to remove the offending picture - a day or so - can mean several cachers have had their fun spoilt in the meantime.

Why? Because not everyone who posts spoilers actually puts that caption on the picture! And even if they did, I wouldn't want it to be posted.

Mind you, it seems to be much more popular in Switzerland and Germany to post spoiler pics, in my experience, so I suppose we should thank our relatively lucky stars!

:blink:

What constitutes a 'spoiler picture' ?

I have found several puzzle caches - including ones of 4 and 5 rated difficulty - not because I have solved the puzzle but because there were enough clues in the background of 'little Timmy with the cache' or in the 'view from the cache site' type pictures that Google satellite view and large scale maps let me pinpoint the cache position without the need to find the GPS co-ordinates.

These pictures wouldn't be classed as spoiler pictures in the normally used sense of the words, but they enabled me to find the caches without solving the fiendishly difficult puzzles.

The 'spoiler picture' that caused this thread wouldn't particularly help you locate the GZ - but it would completely spoil the magical suprise when you did get to the cache site

What constitutes a 'spoiler picture' ?

I have found several puzzle caches - including ones of 4 and 5 rated difficulty - not because I have solved the puzzle but because there were enough clues in the background of 'little Timmy with the cache' or in the 'view from the cache site' type pictures that Google satellite view and large scale maps let me pinpoint the cache position without the need to find the GPS co-ordinates.

These pictures wouldn't be classed as spoiler pictures in the normally used sense of the words, but they enabled me to find the caches without solving the fiendishly difficult puzzles.

The 'spoiler picture' that caused this thread wouldn't particularly help you locate the GZ - but it would completely spoil the magical suprise when you did get to the cache site

I agree.

It was the SURPRISE element that I was trying to protect.

I wish you luck finding this one without a spoiler A Tricky find....many cachers/cacheretes have tried,many have failed.Some coming from miles away...and may not be able to return...you do not have to click on a spoiler picture if you dont want to see it,so think its fair for those who wish to....we all have our ways of doing things...i have used a metal detector in the past to find ones i just could not find and had not hint or spoiler.... luckily had a wire bound book or a metal pen clip in the cache...I once waited for someone to find it a stick a TB in it..straight out there..cache found by fair means or foul...you decide!.Wish you well in your searches..take care :ph34r:

Spoilers are in the eyes of the beholder though.

A puzzle cache I found a year ago includes these words in my log: "The bluebells in the woods are very pretty, and there's no need to trample through them!"

Last week a new cacher (with just 2 finds) accused me of giving away the location of the cache by saying this! Would they have preferred to see the whole area trampled by eager cachers? If it had been the cache owner, or a more experienced cacher, then I would have been more sympathetic but I am afraid I see their comments as an extreme over-reaction especially as the difficulty of this cache relates to the puzzle you have to solve rather than identifying the cache container and it's hiding place.

Chris

Edited by Matthew 7:7 Too

I see today's gc.com update includes the following:

26958: Terms of Use Agreement Modification

Hotfixed the TOU to add language prohibiting the publication of spoilers for any geocache without consent of the cache owner

I do hope they can provide an adequate definition of what they consider a "spoiler" to be, in view of the complaint referred to in my last post!!

Chris

Anyone know if the new update allows you to just delete a picture, not a log? I have a really easy hide, and someone posted a photo of the cache, but not in it's hiding spot. However, the cache itself makes it obvious as to where it is hidden. It's not a huge deal, as it is supposed to be an easy find, but I'm a little bummed that the photo makes it that much easier. Although I do certainly see a lot of caches that have a photo of the cache in someone's log, just not right in it's hiding spot.

Anyone know if the new update allows you to just delete a picture, not a log? I have a really easy hide, and someone posted a photo of the cache, but not in it's hiding spot. However, the cache itself makes it obvious as to where it is hidden. It's not a huge deal, as it is supposed to be an easy find, but I'm a little bummed that the photo makes it that much easier. Although I do certainly see a lot of caches that have a photo of the cache in someone's log, just not right in it's hiding spot.

Have you tried emailing the logger and asking them to remove the photo as it gives too much away?

Chris

Have you tried emailing the logger and asking them to remove the photo as it gives too much away?

Chris

Nah, I didn't want to make an issue of it with them.

Chris

Nah, I didn't want to make an issue of it with them.

If I was the logger, I think I'd be more offended by a cache-owner deleting my photo from my log without any warning or explanation, than if they'd emailed me and explained gently that it was a bit too revealing <_< <_<

Go for it and email them! They won't bite!!

Chris

It seems different in the North east.....Most people who hide caches actually ask you in there log to upload a picture once you have found the cache of the beautiful surroundings and weird and wonderful places that they hide things! I never look at the photos before i go and find that cache....id much rather have faith in my gps/compass and try locate myself.....

I take my little lad "treasure hunting" with me and he loves helping me find the cache....normally i do take a pic of him with the cache but not right next to the location or sitting with it in the spot it goes ect.

I think the best thing to do on your own personal logs if you are the one making the cache would be to advise people on there that you would NOT like any pictures that give away in too much detail the location.....I just take pics of the surrounding areas as i have found some beautiful spots which both my child and my dog have really enjoyed!

.................I love taking pictures but if it DOES cause a problem i would like a personal email instead of someone making a thread about it on here :)

snip......

I think the best thing to do on your own personal logs if you are the one making the cache would be to advise people on there that you would NOT like any pictures that give away in too much detail the location.....snip

Trust me it certainly doesn't work, people just ignore it and still go ahead and upload spoiler pics. One of my earthcaches keeps getting a proof of visit answer uploaded. That is despite the harsh warning on the cache page not to do it.

snip......

I think the best thing to do on your own personal logs if you are the one making the cache would be to advise people on there that you would NOT like any pictures that give away in too much detail the location.....snip

Trust me it certainly doesn't work, people just ignore it and still go ahead and upload spoiler pics. One of my earthcaches keeps getting a proof of visit answer uploaded. That is despite the harsh warning on the cache page not to do it.

Youd think people would respect someones log entry and if it says no spoiler pics then thats exactly what they should do! Id never take a pic of the cache in its original place but i sometimes wonder if people have a problem of me taking a pic of my little boy with the cache incase they dont want people knowing what there looking for cause some people dont even put on what the cache actually is!!! Im sure someone would message me though and i would have no problem removing the pic :)

You'd think people would respect someones log entry and if it says no spoiler pics then that's exactly what they should do! Id never take a pic of the cache in its original place but i sometimes wonder if people have a problem of me taking a pic of my little boy with the cache in case they don't want people knowing what there looking for cause some people don't even put on what the cache actually is!!! Im sure someone would message me though and i would have no problem removing the pic :)

It depends on the container.

If the cache page doesn't say what, or says that it's disguised, or you find it and see it's been 'custom camouflaged' then don't post a picture of it...

If you want pictures of cache containers, check out the Bolas Heathens gallery! :o:laughing:

You'd think people would respect someones log entry and if it says no spoiler pics then that's exactly what they should do! Id never take a pic of the cache in its original place but i sometimes wonder if people have a problem of me taking a pic of my little boy with the cache in case they don't want people knowing what there looking for cause some people don't even put on what the cache actually is!!! Im sure someone would message me though and i would have no problem removing the pic :)

It depends on the container.

If the cache page doesn't say what, or says that it's disguised, or you find it and see it's been 'custom camouflaged' then don't post a picture of it...

If you want pictures of cache containers, check out the Bolas Heathens gallery! :o:laughing:

Hope u dont expect me to look through all them pics lol. Id love to get a badge of some sort......oooo just seen this mega event poster....what are they about...probs wrong place to put this but ur the second person to reply to me...if its easy to message just do that :)

Im good with my containers around here as they all have been the same so far :)

Ready to be shot down in flames but.................

I like a spoiler photos. :P

I cache mostly with my 3 kids (aged 4 and 3 - twins), and its all about getting them out and about in the fantastic English Countryside. Having a really good idea about the cache location and container allows me to subtly direct their searching once we reach GZ. This ensures that, from their point of view, we generally find the cache within about 10 mins – they get bored and frustrated if its much longer. (We do still get a fair few DNFs though)

I always let one of them find the "treasure" even if we've (the adults) spotted it without any spoiler photos - it all just adds to their, and our, enjoyment.

Being a bit pouncy - its all about the journey, not the destination.

Cheers

I"ve emailed caters to ask them to remove references to the camo of my caches before. I have also emailed them to ask them to remove spoiler photos that give the cam away. I don't check for spoiler photos but if a subsequent log says "easy find ith the spoiler photo" for example, I go and check.

I think everyone has happily amended their logs, just removing the spoiler, and all bar one was happy to remove the photo. The unhappy one did do it in the end though but I was still polite.

If you like taking photos of you at the cache site with the cache/camo in your hand, buy a personal travel bug or coin and post the photos with those logs, not the cache logs.

I think you can now ,, delete only the photo.. Ive just done just that ,, a new cacher local to me has taken to uploading photos of caches in the hiding positions .. I sent a polite request not to do this ,, the next cache he logged was one of mine ? yep it included a photo ,, and in turn I deleted it ,, and will continue to do so if he repeats it on any others I own ,, shame , he also fits in to the bracket of the sort that can only ,, type TFTC ..

Edited by little-leggs

In my experience, it's hard enough to persuade people to look at the cache description, let alone check for spoiler pics. For most caches it's fine to publish a photo of the cache anyway, and it helps make the find a bit easier. So everyone wins.

Really it's only the puzzle cache, or multicache, or heavily-camouflaged challenge cache that could be "spoilt" and they're in the minority. In these cases I guess that most cachers will delete a photo on request. Otherwise, all we want is for people to find caches and they're only out of sight so that they don't get muggled.

I think you can now ,, delete only the photo.. Ive just done just that ,, a new cacher local to me has taken to uploading photos of caches in the hiding positions .. I sent a polite request not to do this ,, the next cache he logged was one of mine ? yep it included a photo ,, and in turn I deleted it ,, and will continue to do so if he repeats it on any others I own ,, shame , he also fits in to the bracket of the sort that can only ,, type TFTC ..

Yes, it is now possible to delete only the photograph from a finder's log - This feature was introduced about 6 months ago, I think.

I can't imagine why anybody playing a game which involves hunting for containers which have been carefully and/or cunningly hidden would think it's fine to post photographs showing exactly where they're hidden. <_<

(Maybe when they played Hide and Seek as a child they were always the one who jumped out from behind the curtains shouting, "I'm here! I'm here! It's me!")

MrsB

I can't imagine why anybody playing a game which involves hunting for containers which have been carefully and/or cunningly hidden would think it's fine to post photographs showing exactly where they're hidden. <_<

Point is, most caches aren't in that category. I'd guess only 1% of traditional caches are supposed to be a challenge to find. Even though probably many of the others have turned out that way it wasn't intentional, and a spoiler might actually be rather helpful.