What am I doing wrong?

kansashicks

This is the first TB we have found so I'm sure I must be doing something wrong. We put the number on the tag in the system and logged it as a find. We were the first one to find this cache in about a year so we thought it needed to move along. Now we find it was never at this cache at all, and yesterday some one found it 800 miles north even though we still have it. We did go in and delete our find, but what to do now?? The number one the tag does not match the tracking number. Going through the cache log the last TB was left in 2004, and no logged pickups until us. Could this be the TB left in 2004, and could there be another TB with the same tag number. The member that left it in 2004 is not the same one as the current owner. Any thoughts??? Thanks, Dick T

Not much to go on... You said a lot in your post, but provided little information to assist. Ran through your finds, but still don't know when/where/what you found. I see no travel bugs in any of your cache content photos. I did not see (notice) the cache "We were the first one to find this cache in about a year"....

A very easy mistake is not entering the tracking number correctly. Sometimes they are difficult (at best) to read properly.

Common errors: I = 1, O = 0 = Q, 2 = Z, B = 8, more too, depends mostly on lighting. It is often best to read it with side-lighting.

Being the first TB that you found... it should appear as a dog-tag, with a stylistic scarab on it and a stamped or embossed tracking number:

60bfe4a4-367c-4c35-85d1-357e4bc9e277.jpg

The design layout has changed over the years, but they are basically the same as above.

The number one the tag does not match the tracking number. Going through the cache log the last TB was left in 2004, and no logged pickups until us. Could this be the TB left in 2004, and could there be another TB with the same tag number. The member that left it in 2004 is not the same one as the current owner.

If you mean the "Vote Obama Geocoin", all looks well, and you logged it correctly. The Trackable's page will have a "reference number", which is just an easy way to find a coin's or Travel Bug's page, and it's different from the tracking number inscribed on the item. When you place the coin into another cache, you'll log it using the tracking number.

EDIT: It's common to find a coin in a different cache from the one its been logged into -- I think that's what happened in your case. Once you place the coin into a cache and log the coin as "dropped", it will then be correct. That's all I could ask, if it were my coin. But you could contact the coin's owner, and ask of they want you to do any special logging to get the mileage correct (totally optional). Coins and Travel Bugs can be a little confusing, and one way to keep it simple is to make a "discover" log and leave it where you find it (I do that a lot).

Edited by kunarion

To the OP:

If this is about the Obama geocoin, no wonder I couldn't find the cache you picked it up at. You (apparently) deleted the cache "found" log, not the log for the traveler retrieval. Aside from that, I do not see where somebody logged it after you did (the geocoin).

I dunno.... let's see if the OP re-posts

Nothing like having a bit of a mystery TB found at a high D/T multi cache to ponder over on a Saturday afternoon while having a break from gardening...

I presume we're all singing from the same hymn sheet and we're on this cache page?

"Crucero Camp"

It'll be interesting to get a bit more on this one. :)

MrsB

So it seems. Some discrepancies regarding the Orig. post though. In the coin retrieval log, they refer to is AS a geocoin, not TB.

No, I'm not talking about the coin found in "Crucero Camp", I think we have done that right as we logged it as a find. I will place it later. As this was my first post on this forum I was not sure how much info I should include. This TB was found by us 3-28-2011 in "Holey Wildflower Walk"(GCMBHD) and as I returned to our find I see it was never posted as a drop by kid_lefty on 4-2-2005. It is though a (TB#******) not tracking #. When I enter that TB# I get a tracking # of TB*****. That is not this TB. Ours was found in Cal. Also we show a picture of it in the found cache in "Holey Widflower Walk". Thanks again for the advise and hope to get more. Maybe I should just drop it some where, but I'm afraid it will record in the other tracking number. Dick & Susan T. kansashicks

Edited by kansashicks
When I enter that TB# I get a tracking # of TB33YM6. That is not this TB.
That's a public "reference number", not for logging, just for convenience in finding the TB page. Post just that reference number, the Trackable's name, and the Cache's GC number. The actual tracking number won't be displayed on that Travel Bug page.

You should block out (erase) the Tracking Number from your post above (the number inscribed on the Travel Bug). That number isn't supposed to be posted or visible.

Edited by kunarion

No, I'm not talking about the coin found in "Crucero Camp", I think we have done that right as we logged it as a find. I will place it later. As this was my first post on this forum I was not sure how much info I should include. This TB was found by us 3-28-2011 in "Holey Wildflower Walk"(GCMBHD) and as I returned to our find I see it was never posted as a drop by kid_lefty on 4-2-2005. It is though a (TB#BZ535C) not tracking #. When I enter that TB# I get a tracking # of TB33YM6. That is not this TB. Ours was found in Cal. Also we show a picture of it in the found cache in "Holey Widflower Walk". Thanks again for the advise and hope to get more. Maybe I should just drop it some where, but I'm afraid it will record in the other tracking number. Dick & Susan T. kansashicks

It sounds to me like this is what's happening, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Each TB has it's tracking number which is etched on the bug itself and it has a REFERENCE number that's on the page for the bug. The reference number is for people who don't have the bug to look at the page, the actual tracking number that's on the tag is only for those who have the bug in hand to log as found. Both numbers will take you to the same page and they both are unique to that bug. Log the bug with the number on the tag and you'll be fine. The bug might not have been logged into the cache where you found it, that's fairly common and would explain the discrepency in it's location.

What you have IS Phred Phurby, just as the TB page says. It looks to be (reading the logs) that there MAY be two of them out there.

Sometime after Oct 10, 2010 it went missing. It looks like on Mar 11, 2011 the copy was set out (not really a long enough period of time -- but, it happens).

Best advice is to contact the TB owner to see what their wishes are. I don't know if you have the copy, or the original.

Long and short of it, you aren't doing anything wrong. It's just a mix-up sending out a copy.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee