Simple start?

3 wild ones

Hi, my 2 girls and I are trying to get started on our first Geocache advetnure. I am really overwhelmed with all the lingo and technology. I am starting to get it but I still am a bit confused on how and where to start. How do you know what is going to be there unless a log only? If my girls and I find a cache and want to take it, what should we bring with us to leave for the next person? As I never seen one I am clueless.

We are going to try to start tomorrow but I cannot get the website to download the coordinates even though I have added the software and plugins.I am used to my auto Garmin but my hubby was trying to be nice and bought me a megellan explorist GC and its not that user friendly to me. I dont know what wrong but if I figure it out I will try to find one tomorrow.

Any suggestions on a simple start? I have no one local that can show us what to do.

I appreciate the replies

Dawn

How do you know what is going to be there unless a log only?
I'm not sure I understand your question, but a "log only" cache is generally a very small micro-cache. It will be large enough for only a custom-fit log sheet.

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

It might help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

If my girls and I find a cache and want to take it, what should we bring with us to leave for the next person?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but you don't take the container. You sign the log, put the log back in the container, and put the container back where you found it.

A "log only" cache isn't going to have trade items (swag). Larger caches may have trade items. In general, trade items are trinkets of little actual value. Here are some ideas for trade items:

http://www.cacheopedia.com/wiki/Trade_items#Suggested_trade_items

Also, it may help to stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif, rather than multi-caches 3.gif or puzzle/mystery caches 8.gif or other cache types.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your GPSr, and to the GPSr of the cache owner, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate.

As the previous poster noted start with larger caches with ratings of 1-2. If you are having trouble loading the coords from the website, go ahead and enter them manually into your car gps or the handheld. We used a car Garmin Nuvi for over 50 finds till we obtained a prior owned hand held. Good luck.

How do you know what is going to be there unless a log only?

All physical caches should have a logbook for you to sign. There might be other items in the cache, there might not be.

The container and / or the logbook should have the GC code written somewhere.

If my girls and I find a cache and want to take it, what should we bring with us to leave for the next person? As I never seen one I am clueless.

Terminology maybe confusing here...but I hope you realize that you are not supposed to remove the cache container.

After you sign the log book, you should put the container back where you found it.

I am used to my auto Garmin but my hubby was trying to be nice and bought me a megellan explorist GC and its not that user friendly to me. I dont know what wrong but if I figure it out I will try to find one tomorrow.

Take some time to read through the owner's manual, before attempting to find caches. Getting to know how your gps works without the "stress" of looking for a cache will be more productive.

Any suggestions on a simple start? I have no one local that can show us what to do.

If you have an experienced cacher local to you, who is willing to help you, that would be the best approach. Nothing like having an old dog teach the new pups some of the tricks.

I would also suggest that you take some time to read through the Knowledge Books. They have pretty much everything you need to know covered, broken down into sections:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb

For a long time I manually entered the coordinates into my unit once I got it and did not even entertain the idea of pushing the variety of other buttons there were to push.

Had some time one afternoon once I started figuring out the geocaching thing and then learned to send coordinates to my GPS.

Bring some small toys to trade for other small items your kids may want but don't set them up with the expectation that they are going to find something. I wouldn't even set them up to think they will find a container necessarily. Just that you're going to look for one. That way if you don't find it or if you find one without a lot of stuff in it they won't end up all disappointed in this.

Keep it simple. Start with basic parts of the knowledgebooks and just wade slowly into this.

Not sure how old your girls are, but I am sure you know their attention span isn't as long as ours! Set a time limit you know they can handle and if they start to complain, move on to the next one. You could even scope out one or two before the family outing and give the "warmer, colder" clues. Be prepared though - kids are closer to the ground, love being detectives, and may find the caches in a quicker time frame than you did! Don't forget the ice cream cone reward on the way home...... ;)

Have fun, and let us know how you get on please.

As the others have said, the size listed on the cache page will give you a clue whether trade items might be in the cache. Micros are too small for trade items, or "swag"...smalls and above may contain trade items. All physical caches will contain a logbook for you to sign.

If you or your kids find an item in a cache that you would like to take, do so.... the only requirement is that you leave something of equal or greater value (this is kind of subjective, use your best judgement). Please DON'T take the whole container! :)

Also, about the trade items...you may find items called Travel Bugs or Geocoins. A Travel Bug can be anything, but it will have a metal dogtag on it with a tracking number on it. Likewise Geocoins. They are NOT meant to be kept as trade items, they are "travelers" meant to be moved from cache to cache. You may take it, but log it online and move it to another cache. Most Travel Bugs have a mission or goal listed on it's page, so if you help it on it's mission move it along!