Is this tacky?

crazy_cache_lady

After finding over 100 caches, I'm now ready to hide some. I have an idea for a series, but I have a somewhat twisted sense of humor, and I'm not sure if others would think it's tacky. Opinions, please!

My idea: I've been watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer re-runs a lot lately, and I thought it would be great to do a cemetery cache series with Buffy-related cache names.

So, would it be tacky to put vampire-esque caches in cemeteries?

I'd love to hunt your series if I'm ever in the area, being a big fan of all things Whedon... but yeah, you have to be careful about cemeteries for a few reasons.

The most important, to me, is that people with loved ones buried there may not appreciate the extra foot traffic of a cacher who has no interest in the cemetery.

However... I'm the kind of person who reads pretty much every headstone any time I'm in or near a graveyard. It's my way of paying respect.

So, if you have permission, it could be kind of cool.

There are thousands and thousands of cemetery caches, I see no problem with them.

Listen if I seen someone spooking around my Mom and Dads grave site they would have some explaining to do, I am sure others feel the same way, I said my peace on this subject (I will not beat a dead horse) over this subject, just beware

There are thousands and thousands of cemetery caches, I see no problem with them.

Listen if I seen someone spooking around my Mom and Dads grave site they would have some explaining to do, I am sure others feel the same way, I said my peace on this subject (I will not beat a dead horse) over this subject, just beware

If someone placed the cache on a gravesite with no permission and it had no association to them (i.e. not their family member or anyone they knew for that matter) then that's a BIG problem. However, many cemeteries, especially those from older times also double as parks and natural areas in some states. There are many, many of these in Pennsylvania. They may also border wooded areas or forest tracts, and the caches are often hidden in these. The caches may also be very small and hidden in public memorials or shrines located within a cemetery (i.e. war memorial). The point IS to bring people to see these memorials and pay tribute. This DOES mean, however, cachers need to use common sense and respect when in these places.

I'd much rather find a well maintained cache behind a cemetery than all the trash and junk flowers that seem to accumulate there...

The problem is that you've got some poor young widow there weeping over her recently departed husband, and then in comes a group of five people running around looking at an electronic box in their hand, not paying attention to those around them, and they are PLAYING A GAME.

If a cemetery has only graves that are over a hundred ++ years old, then I don't mind.

But caches in cemeteries that have any younger graves in them are going to have grieving relatives.

People grieving should be left in peace and not bothered by people playing a game.

Place your caches in the next block if you have to. NEAR a cemetery if close enough.

I found one yesterday along the side of a cemetery. Some of the cemetery caches have brought me to some very interesting gravesites. Fascinating to see many from the 1700s mixed in with modern graves.

I'm still not terribly sure what the big deal is here in states where this is permitted. Common sense should really dictate one's behavior in a cemetery should they be caching or simply out for a walk and taking in history.

The one I saw, the whole cemetery was neat/pristine pretty much except for the one site that had a cache located there. There was a muddy footprint on top of the head stone, the urn was dumped over and half the dirt pawed through, the bush next to it had broken branches where people bent them back too far and the whole gravesite looked liked a lot of people walked around it over and over (muddy footprints, grass torn up). I spent more time straightening the place up then looking for a cache. There were also a lot of finds that week at that cache with a lot of people finding it, in early spring, in the wet/muddy time. That was the only messed up grave in that entire cemetery that I could see and I drove through most of it. Inside or around a cemetery is okay but not on top of the graves.

The one I saw, the whole cemetery was neat/pristine pretty much except for the one site that had a cache located there. There was a muddy footprint on top of the head stone, the urn was dumped over and half the dirt pawed through, the bush next to it had broken branches where people bent them back too far and the whole gravesite looked liked a lot of people walked around it over and over (muddy footprints, grass torn up). I spent more time straightening the place up then looking for a cache. There were also a lot of finds that week at that cache with a lot of people finding it, in early spring, in the wet/muddy time. That was the only messed up grave in that entire cemetery that I could see and I drove through most of it. Inside or around a cemetery is okay but not on top of the graves.

I'd contact the CO and let them know about that. Regardless of whether it's a cemetery or a public park, if it's drawing in a lot of problems, it may have to be moved or shut down.

I view cemetaries as places that people can go to show their respect. They are also places of great historical importance. My favourite caches take me to little known, seldom visited, sometimes forgotten, cememtaries. I find it more disrespectful to find that these resting places of our ancestors and area pioneers in unkept states, with broken headstones and monuments.

A cache placed right on a headstone needs to have a "Needs Archived" note, no matter who placed it there. That's just asking for trouble, knowing how frenzied some cachers can get. You can't control people and their behaviour, so it's better if the cache is not actually "IN" the cemetary.

Of course, it's not necessarily cachers who cause damage. There are lots of ignorant people out there who think it's amusing or whatever to knock over and destroy headstones. I imagine that they leave behind footprints when doing that.

I find some of the cache series names to be disrespectful. A cache name that referenced vampires or some other idiotic thing would be very annoying to me.

We usually cache as a family, our daughters my wife and I. There are a lot of cemetery caches in our area. But one thing we do is to coduct ourselves in a respectful manner when we are in a cemetery. My kids are to walk at our sides and no yelling or screwing around. We teach them that this is a place of rest, a place where peoples loved ones are, a place of solemn respect. Even though we are there to play this game, respect can be practiced. We quietly walk along, thinking about the people there. Its kind of hard to describe, but it doesnt feel like a bad thing. It also has taught my kids that a cemetery is not a thing of horror or fear as movies might depict. But rather a place where people just like us have gone when our time here is done. And all these people were brothers, sisters, moms and dads, and were loved. I dont mind cemetery caches, as long as they are done properly and with respect. And those who seek them show the same respect. I dont think any should be in contact with a headstone or vault, or even very close. Cemetery caches seem to be one of those "if you dont care for them, just skip them" type of thing. Now I am thinking...when I pass, I just might have a cache built into my headstone..Sweet!

I think cemetery caches are wonderful if they are done in a respectful way. I dearly love history, and I feel that cemeteries, especially older ones are a great part of our nation's history, and that there are ways of placing caches where no gravesites will be damaged, or anyone's loved ones disrespected.

Also, it is possible to get permission to hide in cemeteries; both of my cemetery hides have permission, it wasn't that difficult. It of course, as other posters have mentioned, varies by state.

Now I am thinking...when I pass, I just might have a cache built into my headstone..Sweet!
It's been done. A cacher in NJ had a spot for a cache drilled into his wife's (and his future) headstone.
Oh, no! Was "a shovel, trowel or other pointy object" used to drill that hole?! SICNR

On a more serious note, I've found several cemetery caches, in both historical and active cemeteries. I've never run around looking at an electronic box in my hand, not pay attention to those around me. I've never felt the slightest desire to do so. People visit cemeteries for many reasons other than mourning recently departed loved ones, and can do so respectfully.

WOW, you need to take a pill. I enjoy spending time in cemeteries. I have been known to spend hours walking among the headstones, meditating, reading. I would really hate to see you end up in a bad place for a poor attitude.

We have lots of cemetery caches in my area. I have never seen a cache on an actual grave, always on the gates or walls, trees or nearby area. We love looking at the headstones and taking about the dates. Some of the stones are quite beautiful. I see no problem with them. That said if we were to come on a funeral or a family at a grave... That cache can be done another day and would quickly leave.

Back to the original question... I would not have a problem with a vampire theme cache.

I would avoid it. When a SC legislator was pushing for a law banning caches in cemeteries she had a presentation that featured things meant to portray geocachers as disrespectful and it included some tacky names for caches in cemeteries.

Agreed. I remember reading how the Legislator's staff absolutely floored the Geocachers in attendance at the hearing with not only that, but other damning evidence.

Looks like I might be in the minority here, but I do think a Buffy Vampire "series" would be slightly tacky. With the key word being series, and to me that infers seeking out cemeteries to place caches in just because, "hey, here's a cemetery that doesn't have a cache" (or has room for another).

Naming the cemetery on the cache page, and maybe talking a little about the history, or just some of your observations from looking around it, to me shows a great deal of respect, especially when weighed against say a series of cemetery caches named RIP #1 ==> RIP #45 that say absolutely nothing about the cemetery in question or those buried there.