Groundspeak: New Data Fields

K618

quote:
Originally posted by K618:

Would it be possible to add one additional data field on the posting forms?

GPS Brand/Model

What difference does that make? All consumer GPSrs are about equal in accuracy. At any given time/place, no one model is better then the other. There are dozens of other factors that contribute to how accurate the coordinates of a cache are, so if thats the reason, it's useless.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

K618, in our super rock and roll fantastic geocaching 2 web site we'll have this feature. Expect it out sometime in March/April.

Might I ask why?

In discussing this in IRC we can't seem to come up with a good reason to have it on a cache page. Sure, you would know if the gps used had averaging, WAAS etc, but you don't know if or how skillfully these features were used. Some of the top cachers in the world use the little yellow etrex, so I really think it boils down to the skill of the user, not the model GPSr. All I can see it leading to is a lot of "well your just using a etrex so your coords must not be as good as my MeriPlat" types of logs on the cache pages.

Now, if your just gonna add a field to your profile, to brag about your hardware, thats fine, but you can already do that if you wish.

Are we missing something here?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Are we missing something here?

Yes.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

COOL! Care to fill us in? icon_smile.gif