Owning a cache as a priviledge, not a right.

trippy1976

I was thinking to myself in my car on the way home the other day about the membership on gc.com

While geocaching itself is free and well shoudl be, I began to think that maybe creating and owning a cache should be viewed as more of a priviledge and responsibility.

So on the MiGO forums I postulated that perhaps posting new caches should be a priviledge reserved for premium members. I wasn't immediately flamed to dust there so I thought I'd postulate it here.

I think it would result in higher quality caches placed with more thought.

I'm posting this as a point of discussion, not really a suggestion for a policy change so please keep that in mind when posting. I was curious to see what a larger sampling thought.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

How in the world would this "result in higher quality caches"? Does the ability to shell out a few bucks suddenly make you more insightfull about what would make a "quality" cache?

If you're a member and you are trying to get more people to pony up some dough then just make all your caches "Members Only". That might get a few more people to join. I doubt it but you never know.

When everyone is out to get you, paranoia is just good thinking.

Cache owners make this sport! In my area there are not a lot of caches and every one of them I look forward to seeing the area the cache owner is obviously trying to show others, or the challenge of getting to it. No lame caches here (yet). Some (most) of the very best are placed regular members. The sport would die here if such restrictions were placed.

I have not yet placed a cache as I don't know the area well enough, but when I do I would like to see an option to only allow cache owners to be able to view it for the first 15 to 30 days as a way of rewarding those that help build this sport.

I think your intent is to improve the quality of the caches and reduce the quantity of 'lame' caches. Reading the logs on a cache should give an indication how good the cache is. Just don't do the lame ones.

Besides just because someone supports the geocaching.com web site doesn't make them a better at placing caches.

It's not about having lame caches. A LOT of the caches placed by people with low/no find or hides become abandoned. It's an issue of responsibility more than quality I guess.

I'm not neccesarily in favor of it, but wondered 'what if'. I doubt it would ever be implemented either.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

quote:
Originally posted by FarSideX:

I have not yet placed a cache as I don't know the area well enough, but when I do I would like to see an option to only allow cache owners to be able to view it for the first 15 to 30 days as a way of rewarding those that help build this sport.

It may be different where you live, but in many areas the people who place the greatest number and highest quality caches rarely bother to seek caches.

The thread title says owning a cache is a priviledge. Owning a cache is a responsibility, and unfortunately a lot of caches are placed, and effectively abandoned, by irresponsible owners.