Oldest living trackable?

sshipway

We were recently privileged to pick up this guy: World Traveller According to the log, he started life in Nov 2002, before travelling 30,000 miles and eventually languishing in a cache in southern Taiwan for a year before we picked him up to take him on to New Zealand.

Given that geocaching only started at the end of 2000 and trackables on the website were likely to be some time after this, he seems to be close to the maximum age achievable.

My question is, what's the oldest bug you've found? What's the oldest bug known to still be 'live' in the wild? Were we just insanely lucky to find this guy or are there many 10 year old bugs slowly moving around the world?

Thoughts....

The oldest one we've ever found is Mary-Kate the Traveling SPAM, started in July 2002.

Somehow I think that even SPAM doesn't last THIS long... checking out the trackable page, it's definitely old, but it hasn't traveled near as much as World Traveler -- it's not left the USA/Canada even. Good thing you have large cache sizes over there, it wouldn't fit in 90% of the caches here in New Zealand.

We were recently privileged to pick up this guy: World Traveller According to the log, he started life in Nov 2002, before travelling 30,000 miles and eventually languishing in a cache in southern Taiwan for a year before we picked him up to take him on to New Zealand.

Given that geocaching only started at the end of 2000 and trackables on the website were likely to be some time after this, he seems to be close to the maximum age achievable.

My question is, what's the oldest bug you've found? What's the oldest bug known to still be 'live' in the wild? Were we just insanely lucky to find this guy or are there many 10 year old bugs slowly moving around the world?

Thoughts....

Oldest one I've met

Not quite as old or as traveled, but not too shabby....

Thoughts....

Oldest one I've met

Not quite as old or as traveled, but not too shabby....

The oldest one I've had anything to do with and is still active is "Calico Bunny" which was released on 10/13/2002 has traveled 27,437 miles :)

Oh, and was first found and moved on 10/18/2002 by me :smile: and was the first TB I ever found. :D

Edited by captnemo

I was given this link to find out if my active TB is one of the most travelled and is still going strong...it would seem that this little lady is up there with the big boys and girls..A-Z Head...is there a mileage record,and if so,how many miles..better still,am i at the top :unsure: !...thank for all input.

Thank you for the link...Yes indeed does show oldest..but oldest does not make it the furthest traveled...as you know a bug can get stuck in a cache for a very long time and go no where.Mine was released in 2004,but its the amount of miles traveled for a still active bug i am seeking...if there is no table to compare,do you think it would be a good idea for me to start one?

Thank you for the link...Yes indeed does show oldest..but oldest does not make it the furthest traveled...as you know a bug can get stuck in a cache for a very long time and go no where.Mine was released in 2004,but its the amount of miles traveled for a still active bug i am seeking...if there is no table to compare,do you think it would be a good idea for me to start one?

Without the raw data from Groundspeak we'll have to rely on anecdotal information. Someone might as well keep track of it.

Start a new thread if that's something you want to do.

Oldest bug I've picked up, and it's the original.

Tea Brick

Released: Saturday, 17 May 2003

Tracking History (13465.3mi)

I am very happy to see that my World Traveller is still alive and moving. It has already been picked up from the last cache and in the hands of funkymunky. Another very old bug belongs to my hubby Hiker Mike. It's http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=16152 called Keep on Truckin which was released in Oct. 2002. All of our other 6 bugs disappeared, although we have revived some of them with the duplicate tags. We have chosen two caches to look for in the next few days that may have containers to hold the two travelers we are currently holding. Thanks, sshipway for moving World Traveller to NZ.

I think this is the oldest TB still in circulation. Certainly the one with the lowest number.

Doubt the number means too much.

Check the release date.

One of mine (LINK) is still alive. Released 9/7/2002.

Good point. I just checked id=13949 and it's been reported as missing after sitting in a cuttently active cache since 2007.

The oldest TB I ever found was Jeremy's Deadly Duck: Lust that was launched Thursday, 30 August 2001.

I picked it up and hung onto it for a couple of months and finally settled on making a cache for it to be launched back to traveling.

I showed the cache off at an event and then promptly lost the cache. I was pretty certain I had left it on top of my car. It stayed in my inventory for a couple of years until I couldn't take the guilt any longer (actually a couple of the watchers sent me email which was kinda creepy) and I dropped it out of my inventory into a cache when I was doing a maintenance visit.

Still, I felt guilty. Then as I was looking through the contents of one of my large action packers, I found the cache with Jeremy's duck inside.

I gave it back to Jeremy personally, at GW6 in 2008, (5 YEARS later) and also gave him my Re-Tardis TB and told him to hold it hostage for 5 more years. :laughing:

He pardoned and released it after 2 years. :)

3212dd0c-779c-4e13-8d8a-1a945598ebad.jpg

Not one we've had but a very old one: "From Jonjaben". Released Oct 2001, 41,700 miles so far.

MrsB

I guess I need to spend some time seeing if I can get From Jonjaben back in circulation. I used to do a lot of research and a lot of emailing when he got stuck but I've gotten a little lax lately. I've gotten him out of a few life threatening situations over the years.