Creating Zones from Map

GeoStoney

Hey,

i just began to create a Wherigo cache. After reading the tutorials, i wanted to create a "Zone". There is this neat feature called "Create from map"... When i click on that button, a new window appears and a map should be loaded. But i receive the following error message:

TerraServer DrawTerraMap Error

There was an error using TerraServer Server did not recognize the value of HTTP Header SOAPAction: http://terraservice-usa.com/GetAreaFromPt.

Can anybody help me? What is the problem?

Thanks! :)

Chris

Does it mean i need to be connected to the internet in the US or does it mean it works with US maps only? Because i created a new cardridge and located the "home coordinate" in the US and it didn't work either (i'm from germany)...

when i visit terraserver.com i can see images from my hometown... the imagery seems to cover the whole world. but only the us maps are accessible in the Wherigo software? that means i have to find the coordinates with google maps, convert them to a format the Wherigo builder accepts and enter them manually?! or is there an easier solution? Wherigo caches seem to be real fun... even creating them. but entering the zone coordinates manually makes it way too complicated :(

Edited by GeoStoney

I apologize for the communication error; I meant only the US terraserver maps are available through Groundspeak's Wherigo Builder application.

If you need maps, I agree with sTeamTraen and encourage you to check out the third-party Wherigo Builder applications.

By the way, you can configure Groundspeak's Builder to accept a different coordinate format. It's in the application's main menu.

I wasn't aware just how important maps are to people when creating cartridges. I've always gone out and taken coordinates with my GPSr and had confidence they were precise. I'm interested: what else do you use maps for?

I apologize for the communication error; I meant only the US terraserver maps are available through Groundspeak's Wherigo Builder application.

If you need maps, I agree with sTeamTraen and encourage you to check out the third-party Wherigo Builder applications.

By the way, you can configure Groundspeak's Builder to accept a different coordinate format. It's in the application's main menu.

I wasn't aware just how important maps are to people when creating cartridges. I've always gone out and taken coordinates with my GPSr and had confidence they were precise. I'm interested: what else do you use maps for?

I for one like to start a cartridge and pick the exact location of the zones later. It's easy to just load the map and highlight a zone for testing purposes etc.

They seem pretty accurate as well, so only if something goes wrong during the test runs I will need to mark a zone manually.

The problem is that the application does not allow me to pick a location on a map because the map is not being loaded. I always receive an error screen. I downloaded the Urwigo builder and it works perfectly with google maps. I can pick my zone points from the map.

But i have another question:

Sometimes, i display a message when entering a zone like: "You entered XYZ, look around... perhaps you will find something". When i leave this zone and enter it again, i want the message not to be displayed again. How can i do that? At the moment, i am setting variables (e.g. variable "ZoneXYZEntered") from 0 to 1. When i enter the zone for the first time, the program checks the variable. If it is 0 then the message is being displayed and the variable is set to 1. If the variable is already 1, then nothing happens.

I think this is very complicated. Is there an easier way to "trigger" an action when the zone is entered for the first time only?

Sometimes, i display a message when entering a zone like: "You entered XYZ, look around... perhaps you will find something". When i leave this zone and enter it again, i want the message not to be displayed again. How can i do that? At the moment, i am setting variables (e.g. variable "ZoneXYZEntered") from 0 to 1. When i enter the zone for the first time, the program checks the variable. If it is 0 then the message is being displayed and the variable is set to 1. If the variable is already 1, then nothing happens.

I think this is very complicated. Is there an easier way to "trigger" an action when the zone is entered for the first time only?

That's the way to do it. There isn't a property that says to perform some action only on the first enter. The only alternative you have is to create identical zones, the second without the first-time enter code, and, after the player enters the first zone, swap it for the second and use that from there on out. I haven't heard of anyone doing this; I'm just stating a theoretical possibility. Personally, I like the variable approach.

An OnFirstEnter event would either have to keep track of variables itself (and persist through cartridge save and restore events) or, after executing, set itself equal to nil or an empty function (and still persist). Then there's the design consideration of whether OnFirstEnter should fire only once per cartridge, once per zone activation (e.g. deactivate, then activate and OnFirstEnter will fire again), etc.

TerraServer DrawTerraMap Error

There was an error using TerraServer Server did not recognize the value of HTTP Header SOAPAction: http://terraservice-.../GetAreaFromPt.

I now get this error in builder and never got it before? I use the map to just get a close waypoint when first bulding a cartridge now it isn't working??? What's up with this.....

Edited by Mickey and Goofy

I just started using the Wherigo builder, and I am getting those same errors. I have been trying for a few days, and have not been able to load any maps to create zones or anything!

What could I do to help pinpoint and correct the problem?

Thanks!

The problem is likely to be at TerraServer's end; either an error, or a change of API. See for example here.

If this doesn't go away, you will need to build your zones with coordinates, or use an alternative builder. Earwigo lets you use Google Maps to draw zones, and I think that Urwigo does too.

Edited by sTeamTraen

I am currently using Earwigo builder and it works fine! Unfortunately, as i am on iMac, there is only a Windows application available. But the builder itself is easy to use and i can pick my edge points for the zones from the map. My Garmin Oregon 450 also works fine with the compiled cartridge. Well, it sometimes crashed but I think this is a very common problem with Wherigo cartridges.

Yes, there are neat features. I like it that the game can be saved because Wherigo crashes relatively often: When I played my cardridge for the first time, everything worked fine. The second time, the Oregon freezed and i had to remove the batteries to restart it. I think it is a problem with the Oregon and not with my cardridge. And when I try to load a saved game, i sometimes get the error that the game could not be loaded and I should check my SD-Card?!

Edited by GeoStoney

The Oregon GPSr created a lot of strife in my area. I did all my testing using my stable Colorado while most people in my area played with an Oregon. The Oregon's frequent freezing and crashing were blamed on my cartridges, Wherigo in general, and Groundspeak's testing practices (mind you, Groundspeak did not develop Garmin's Wherigo Player). Perhaps that's why people in my area haven't put out a cartridge.