Not digging

A & J Tooling

What about if I need to dig out the side of a hill? My property.

There are caches like that. But because it's tough for some people to comprehend property rights ("he dig a hole so me dig a hole"), the guidelines discourage any digging. Ask your reviewer. I'd suggest placing an ordinary cache first (digless), just to see how it all works, at least 528 feet from where you might make the bunker.

You can also dig it out now, and see how it holds up with nobody caching there yet. Does the area have snakes or spiders? Will an animal nest in your nicely carved cave?

Edited by kunarion

While digging is allowed with some rather explicit permission, I still think caches should never be buried. It really is a perception issue. Some cache finders may look at your cache as an acceptable method and copy it in an inappropriate place. Land managers may visit your cache and get the wrong idea about caching and deny caches on lands they manage. Reporters and casual observers may look upon your cache and start seeing Geocaching as a sort of 'buried treasure' search. All bad things.

Besides - hiding something in the ground is just too easy. Be creative!! Geocaching is sometimes known as the art of hiding things in plain sight! B)

Edited by StarBrand

So, I see we can not dig while placing a cache. What about if I need to dig out the side of a hill? My property. When completed, it'd be covered up and landscaped over. You'd only realise something was there if you went geocaching there. Would that be allowed? Kinda' like a bunker.

Uh, you do want people to FIND your cache, don't you? So why make it next to impossible?

It may help to understand the reason for the "no digging" rule. Basically, land owners/managers don't want people digging up their parks, preserves, or other property.

If you dig to hide a cache on your own property, then digging isn't an issue for you. Clearly, you gave yourself permission. But digging is still an issue for other land owners/managers. As others have mentioned, one concern is setting an example for potential cache owners, encouraging them to bury their caches in locations where they don't have permission. Another concern is teaching cache seekers that they need to dig to find caches, encouraging them to dig in other locations where it is not appropriate. It's worth considering both these issues before discussing your ideas with your local reviewer.

With that said, I've found a number of "below grade" caches. However, they were all hidden in pre-existing holes. The first cache I found was a plastic footlocker lowered into a hollow redwood stump (the stump was downhill from the trail, so the top of the stump was even with the level of the trail). A few have been in buried utility boxes (open the lid and there's the cache). Others have simply been placed in a natural depression, with a couple handfuls of leaves/bark scattered on top of them. Others have been lowered into abandoned pipes, conduits, fence poles, etc. But none of them required digging to hide or to find.