Logging trackables

Spirit-of-Floymo

What is the recommended time span between finding a recently dropped TB and logging it ? I tend to do it on my Iphone whilst walking away from the cache. Recently got a PM from an annoyed fellow cacher who suggested I wait a week before logging trackables, as he hadnt had an opportunity in the 24 hrs or so between our visits to a cache to get his admin done. He resented me grabbing it from his inventory and worried about the lost mileage the TB would suffer from. I responded by dipping it in the cache to sort out the miles and chose to ignore everything else. Whats the consensus on this one ?

Thanks

Floymo

What is the recommended time span between finding a recently dropped TB and logging it ? I tend to do it on my Iphone whilst walking away from the cache. Recently got a PM from an annoyed fellow cacher who suggested I wait a week before logging trackables, as he hadnt had an opportunity in the 24 hrs or so between our visits to a cache to get his admin done. He resented me grabbing it from his inventory and worried about the lost mileage the TB would suffer from. I responded by dipping it in the cache to sort out the miles and chose to ignore everything else. Whats the consensus on this one ?

Thanks

Floymo

Had he written in the physical cache log that he'd left the TB? If so, then you should have been aware he'd recently dropped it and waited a day or so to give him time to log his find and put the TB in the cache's inventory. Even if he hadn't written it in the physical log, IMO you should have at least waited a day or so and checked the online logs to see if it popped up.

However, I think his suggestion that you wait a week is over the top; 24-48 hours, yeah. A week, no.

If he didn't make any notation in either log as to the fact that he'd dropped it, and/or is waiting more than 48 hours to make online logs of his finds and/or adjust his trackables inventory, he's the one at fault.

Editing to add: If you knew he was the one who dropped it, AND more than 48 hours went by without it being moved to the cache's inventory, then I'd consider it appropriate to send a polite PM saying something to the effect that you picked it up, you want to move it along, and could he please let you know when he's taken care of his online log so you could place it.

Edited by cimawr

The only time I had this issue, the prvious holder had logged the cache online several days earlyer. I guess I probably should have fired him an e-mail asking for him to put it in the cache, but I just grabed it, and then logged it in and out of the cache. Now days with the "visit" option, you could do that as well.

So you're at fault because he ain't doing his job? I don't think so.

Attitude check. Everybody check their attitude.

Problem with above post is that the "dropping" cacher may not be doing his/her job, but the real "victim" in these cases are the owners of the TB. You should (in my opinion) think of them FIRST, not whether somebody is "doing their job". Then too, maybe the person that dropped the TB is on a trip and has no way of logging it (until they get to a computer)... ever think of that? It happens far more than you might think. Maybe they just plain forgot, it happens. Maybe they are newbies, and just don't know yet. There is a learning curve to a new "job". There are a lot of maybes to ponder. At least they placed it, log or no.

Not everybody has a smart phone capable of logging within minutes of being at the cache site... Some people are on holiday, miles from any internet connection and may not be able to get on-line for a few days... Some people cache at the weekend and only get round to doing their logs a few days later...

I like logging trackables and I like assisting them to the right caches when possible. If I had a TB that I took to a special cache - maybe I took some photos of it there at the location or with cows or next to an ancient tractor, or whatever mission it had... and I drop it into the cache... then continue caching and return home that evening. I would be more than a bit peeved if I then started doing my logs only to discover that the next cacher at that cache has grabbed that TB from my inventory before I've had a chance to do a nice log for it. <_<

Please - Just give folks 2 or 3 days at least. :)

MrsB

What is the recommended time span between finding a recently dropped TB and logging it?

There isn't really a recommended time span, but you need to allow some time. Immediate "grabs" are usually frowned upon as a "rude" maneuver.

After a reasonable time, email the person that dropped it. They may have forgotten.

I disagree. Who gets to define "rude". My simple rule is if I have it I log it. If is isn't logged to the cache I got it from I do a quick dip.

What is the recommended time span between finding a recently dropped TB and logging it?

There isn't really a recommended time span, but you need to allow some time. Immediate "grabs" are usually frowned upon as a "rude" maneuver.

After a reasonable time, email the person that dropped it. They may have forgotten.

I disagree. Who gets to define "rude". My simple rule is if I have it I log it. If is isn't logged to the cache I got it from I do a quick dip.

You are correct. Rude was a poor descriptive. Mrs B said it well. You, too, have seen postings of angst regarding too quick grabs, right here in the forums. But, it's your game, and I won't knock it, it is a solution (to a degree). BTW, many don't have a clue about the "dip".

I had it happen to me. Dropped a TB on a trip after finally finding a cache suiting its goal, and when I got to a computer to log the visit a few days later someone had grabbed it from me. Darn... They didn't know to dip it, so it's missing some mileage, but I didn't want to mess with it since it's not my bug. When I get my pictures sorted I'll just post a note for the bug with the pics and the cache ID to let the bug owner know.

I felt a bit hurt at the time, but decided "hey, it's the internet, life is too short." So yeah, I understand the feeling. However, I do not understand the need for yelling at others.

i don't get it, what is the big deal with grabbing it from someone before they dropped it, so much so that it warrants sending annoyed emails? :blink:

Who said anything about annoyed (annoying?) emails? I believe there was one comment about sending a polite email. Why not? Maybe the "dropper" simply forgot to add the drop? If that would annoy you, well.... dunno what to say.

i don't get it, what is the big deal with grabbing it from someone before they dropped it, so much so that it warrants sending annoyed emails? :blink:

Who said anything about annoyed (annoying?) emails? I believe there was one comment about sending a polite email. Why not? Maybe the "dropper" simply forgot to add the drop? If that would annoy you, well.... dunno what to say.

care to read first post again?

Thanks

Floymo

Edited by t4e

I don't know about rude, but it is definitely annoying. On my way to a Saturday hike, I stopped for a FTF and ended up leaving a geocoin. When I got home six hours later and started logging, the coin wasn't in my inventory. Some guy grabbed it about an hour after I left it. At the very least, he could have waited until the end of the day.

Thanks

Floymo

I'm new to this myself, but my husband and I do the same thing. We log it in 'immediately' on the phone while we're still there. Log it as we took it or we left it.

Today was our first day dropping off our first owned bug. We also grabbed another one and placed it the same day. Everything was 'there' on the geocaching app as 'logged' and hence how/why we grabbed 'em. Other than that, I'd just leave it there if there was no log of it on the App.

Edited by Lieblweb

I'm new to this myself, but my husband and I do the same thing. We log it in 'immediately' on the phone while we're still there. Log it as we took it or we left it.

Today was our first day dropping off our first owned bug. We also grabbed another one and placed it the same day. Everything was 'there' on the geocaching app as 'logged' and hence how/why we grabbed 'em. Other than that, I'd just leave it there if there was no log of it on the App.

Something to remember:

"Retrieve" -- remove a properly logged traveler from a cache to move along

"Grab" -- take a traveler from the POSSESSION of another cacher (virtually or otherwise)***

This may be nit-picky, but have noticed that people misuse the term "grab". "Retrieve" and "Grab" are not synonymous. Is a bit confusing when posting/discussing. Surely, not only the quoted poster, but the example was there, so.....

*** Grabbing an un-logged traveler does one of three things, it IS grabbing it from the cacher that did not log it, taking possession of a traveler via person-to-person hand-off, or from a cache that one did not retrieve it truly from (either not logged or mis-logged).

Well, I love when people log them right away, this way others don't go to the cache expecting a TB and it is not there. I don't think the situation you were in happens all that often. It was the person who placed the TB's responsibility to log it right away. I don't use a SmartPhone, BUT as soon as I get home from caching I log any finds and TB's or coins. I never wait 48 hours, that is 2 days that people think there is a TB in a cache that is not there. I thought the rule was, you find it, you log it.

I don't think YOU were wrong at all.

Something to remember:

"Retrieve" -- remove a properly logged traveler from a cache to move along

"Grab" -- take a traveler from the POSSESSION of another cacher (virtually or otherwise)***

This may be nit-picky, but have noticed that people misuse the term "grab". "Retrieve" and "Grab" are not synonymous. Is a bit confusing when posting/discussing. Surely, not only the quoted poster, but the example was there, so.....

*** Grabbing an un-logged traveler does one of three things, it IS grabbing it from the cacher that did not log it, taking possession of a traveler via person-to-person hand-off, or from a cache that one did not retrieve it truly from (either not logged or mis-logged).

I did notice that 'after the fact' - and can get confusing to the newbies. I'm sure that won't be the last time I futz up the wording. And pardon if I screw the wording up below...

The bug that we retrieved was listed in the cache at that time as inventory (hence why we were able to move it). Looking at the TB's webpage the next day, the entries in the webpage were somewhat out of order. I would just assume that's accredited to cyber world and computer-esque not updating the information. Afterall, the TB was placed earlier that morning and we retrieved it the same day.

Well, I love when people log them right away, this way others don't go to the cache expecting a TB and it is not there. I don't think the situation you were in happens all that often. It was the person who placed the TB's responsibility to log it right away. I don't use a SmartPhone, BUT as soon as I get home from caching I log any finds and TB's or coins. I never wait 48 hours, that is 2 days that people think there is a TB in a cache that is not there. I thought the rule was, you find it, you log it.

I don't think YOU were wrong at all.

Question (and pardon - searching and finding exactly what you need is hard to do)

We've been to several caches that had 'inventory' of bugs or coins but there was nothing inside. And again, pardon the wording.

Should we be documenting that the TB's are not inside? Or is it better just to walk away and not log anything (other than finding the cache).

Is it more likely that the TB's are missing? Or is it more likely these are 'in transit' and people haven't logged them yet?

Thanks!!

Edited by Lieblweb

We always mention when a listed TB or 'coin is not present in the cache, yet listed in the inventory, TWO ways (necessary)...

1) In the "found" log those travelers by name;

2) On the traveler's page, the fact that is not in the cache (you do not need the tracking number to post a note).

#1 notifies the cache owner of the fact, via email. #2 notifies the traveler owner, via email. Either person can (not that they will) remove the item from the cache inventory.

We do both as no one log notifies both people.

I've got a related question. I may be traveling out of the country for two weeks, and hope to do some geocaching along the way. However, I don't log my finds until I get home when I go on vacation for fear of leaving a travel log for burglars. It's probably just paranoia, but I'd rather be safe about it. I expect I will drop a few of my own bugs along the way, and perhaps pick some up if I come across them. What would be the best thing to do in this case? Write in the written log that I will be waiting to log online until I return and that I would appreciate it if the person who grabs the TB waits until then? If I find a TB, should I e-mail the owner, tell them I have it, and that I will be logging it later on?

Probably the bigger issue will be having the correct milage on my own bugs. How does that work? If someone grabs it before the owner drops it, what happens when the owner goes to drop it?

Edited by hikingirl3

Before going on holiday, some people print off little notes, e.g.

This trackable was dropped into this cache on (date)

I am on holiday and will not be able to log it into this cache until I return home (date)

Please do not grab this trackable from me if you retrieve it from this cache. Please allow me time to do my drop-off log. Thank you.

You could take a few small plastic bags with you so that trackable and note can be kept together.

MrsB :)

I am on holiday and will not be able to log it into this cache until I return home (date)

Please do not grab this trackable from me if you retrieve it from this cache. Please allow me time to do my drop-off log. Thank you.

You could take a few small plastic bags with you so that trackable and note can be kept together.

That's a great idea! Never thought of that. Thanks :smile:

Looks vaguely familiar: http://img.geocaching.com/cache/7357338d-a1af-48ef-bf72-6ca97f04c455.jpg

Feel free to use it as worded, or altered, your choice. EDIT: do change the name, please!

We just carry a pile of them, printed on postcard stock. Date it, fold it, and use a paper clip to affix it to the travel bug tag.

The person next picking up the trackable can email you, if you continue to forget to log it in.

I've got a related question. I may be traveling out of the country for two weeks, and hope to do some geocaching along the way. However, I don't log my finds until I get home when I go on vacation for fear of leaving a travel log for burglars. It's probably just paranoia, but I'd rather be safe about it. I expect I will drop a few of my own bugs along the way, and perhaps pick some up if I come across them. What would be the best thing to do in this case? Write in the written log that I will be waiting to log online until I return and that I would appreciate it if the person who grabs the TB waits until then? If I find a TB, should I e-mail the owner, tell them I have it, and that I will be logging it later on?

Probably the bigger issue will be having the correct milage on my own bugs. How does that work? If someone grabs it before the owner drops it, what happens when the owner goes to drop it?

found travelbug my ber, trek006, JV45AX... how do i log it, i have also drpped it

Margareta

Looks vaguely familiar: http://img.geocaching.com/cache/7357338d-a1af-48ef-bf72-6ca97f04c455.jpg

Feel free to use it as worded, or altered, your choice. EDIT: do change the name, please!

We just carry a pile of them, printed on postcard stock. Date it, fold it, and use a paper clip to affix it to the travel bug tag.

The person next picking up the trackable can email you, if you continue to forget to log it in.

Haha, of course I'd change the name :grin: That will be really helpful. Thanks!

found travelbug my ber, trek006, (tracking number removed by moderator)... how do i log it, i have also drpped it

Margareta

Margareta,

I'll e-mail you in just a minute.

Edited by Eartha

One poster asked "what's the big deal with grabbing it right away....." I'll tell you. We just recently left a TB in a cache and wrote in the log that we had dropped it off. The TB wanted pics of where it had been and we had some to post to help the TB owner. The person who grabbed it and logged a short time after we left it, robbed us of the chance to help out the TB owner with their request of the pics. Not only that, but if they had bothered to look up the logs of the TB the new people would have realized that the TB had just travelled down from their location, and they were taking it right back where it had been. Also when it's "grabbed" it doesn't show up on the geocache maps.

That's what the big deal is.

Can anyone let me know if it's possible "grab" the TB back from their inventory and then "drop" it off in the cache they took it from so it's travels will show up on the geocache map?

One poster asked "what's the big deal with grabbing it right away....." I'll tell you. We just recently left a TB in a cache and wrote in the log that we had dropped it off. The TB wanted pics of where it had been and we had some to post to help the TB owner. The person who grabbed it and logged a short time after we left it, robbed us of the chance to help out the TB owner with their request of the pics. Not only that, but if they had bothered to look up the logs of the TB the new people would have realized that the TB had just travelled down from their location, and they were taking it right back where it had been. Also when it's "grabbed" it doesn't show up on the geocache maps.

Can anyone let me know if it's possible "grab" the TB back from their inventory and then "drop" it off in the cache they took it from so it's travels will show up on the geocache map?

No, don't Grab it away as that'll likely get it off track when they want to drop it off. All fixable when you know how but let's not confuse things.

You can either visit your retrieve log to post photos or post a new Note and do it there.

Although there was nothing you could have done in your situation with http://coord.info/TB1FA3C , others simply need to do a better job of timely logging their drops. If it's not timely logged, that's their problem, not the person who grabbed it. Trackables are one of those things that should be logged ASAP in as close to realtime as possible. I'm not adverse to a 24-hour wait period, but I, for one, am not holding up the show to wait for someone to "get around" to their logs. It's rude to me and to the TB owner to expect me to wait for someone to get off their duff and attend to their obligations. If folks don't want to promptly attend to it, there's an easy solution...don't grab it.

--Matt

P.S. You can log the photos with a Note. Also, can't you go back and add pics to your visited logs for the places it went with you before you dropped it?

Edited for tone after seeing the context: http://coord.info/TB1FA3C

Edited by mattvandyk

Although there was nothing you could have done in your situation with http://coord.info/TB1FA3C , others simply need to do a better job of timely logging their drops. If it's not timely logged, that's their problem, not the person who grabbed it. Trackables are one of those things that should be logged ASAP in as close to realtime as possible. I'm not adverse to a 24-hour wait period, but I, for one, am not holding up the show to wait for someone to "get around" to their logs. It's rude to me and to the TB owner to expect me to wait for someone to get off their duff and attend to their obligations. If folks don't want to promptly attend to it, there's an easy solution...don't grab it.

--Matt

So, I'm out for the day, caching way from my home area.

I drop off a TB, shortly after a local cacher picks it up from the cache and goes home to log things.

I'm away from home, and may not be home for a couple of hours... How can I do, as you call it "a better job of timely logging their drops." ?

Maybe I should get a phone with a caching app, and send you the bill for the phone and use, then I could log the drop in the field...

:D

If you collect a TB from a cache, check who has it in hand, check their profile, are they away from their home area?

Doesn't hurt to wait awhile to give someone a chance to log the drop.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

While I'm all for timely logging of trackables, in some cases it's simply not possible. People go on vacation, have their GPS loaded with caches, but have no internet access until they're back home. And it's those people who tend to give trackables the best mileage, so your solution of "just don't take them" doesn't work.

--Matt

I drop off a TB, shortly after a local cacher picks it up from the cache and goes home to log things.

I'm away from home, and may not be home for a couple of hours... How can I do, as you call it "a better job of timely logging their drops." ?

Maybe I should get a phone with a caching app, and send you the bill for the phone and use, then I could log the drop in the field...

If you collect a TB from a cache, check who has it in hand, check their profile, are they away from their home area?

Emphasis added. Helps if you read the whole thing.

While I'm all for timely logging of trackables, in some cases it's simply not possible. People go on vacation, have their GPS loaded with caches, but have no internet access until they're back home. And it's those people who tend to give trackables the best mileage, so your solution of "just don't take them" doesn't work.

This is a rare case, indeed, but if, somehow, they're in a place where, in 2011, they have no internet access* and can't log the drop w/in 24 hours, then the burden is on them to come up with a solution (there's a reasonable one posted further up in this thread), not the rest of us to hold up the show. We all know, however, that this is far less common than those folks who let their cache and trackables logs stack up and enter them once a week (or, in the case of a couple cachers around here, once a month). Like I said, I'll wait 24 hours, but I'm not waiting around because someone else is being lazy.

*and, yet, it's populous enough that the caches they're finding are being visited frequently enough for this to be a problem.

--Matt

The Bear apparently has better thoughts that many smart phone users. I think that a person who thinks somebody should "get off their duff" and think it's "rude" for others to not log w/i 24 hours is so far off-base, that they should re-think the way the world works (or doesn't work -- your choice). Not only do drops and pick-ups happen (unknowingly) within minutes of one another, there is the normal time-to-travel situation for most to get to a terminal or their home computer, for a log filing.

I view the attitudes (or lack of thought processes) of many smart phone users (certainly not all) to to be rude, a bit ignorant and not unlike a the proverbial horse wearing of the blinders. It must be some sort of "instant gratification" thing.

Geocaching was designed around use of a GPS device. It still functions in the same manner. Make the find, go home and log online. Now, along comes the smart phone, along with the smart phones come new geocachers that simply don't think about non-smart phone users -- Yes, there are a lot of people that don't have, don't need, don't want, or cannot use (for one reason or another) a smart phone. Still there are others that have a smart phone, but trust or rely mostly on their GPSr unit for finding (and certainly for hiding) geocaches. They still need to get home (?) to log. Persons on holiday, vacation or trying to make connecting flights at various airports apparently are lazy, and need to get off their duff, according to some. Bull-Pucky!

Sorry if it offends, but I view most of those highlighted remarks in the above post as being just a bit (only slightly) "me", "Me", "ME".

Please remember, geocaching is a community activity. It requires a give-and-take attitude. Not an attitude centered around me, myself and I!

Like it or not, my 2¢.......

--Matt

The Bear apparently has better thoughts that many smart phone users. I think that a person who thinks somebody should "get off their duff" and think it's "rude" for others to not log w/i 24 hours is so far off-base, that they should re-think the way the world works (or doesn't work -- your choice). Not only do drops and pick-ups happen (unknowingly) within minutes of one another, there is the normal time-to-travel situation for most to get to a terminal or their home computer, for a log filing.

I view the attitudes (or lack of thought processes) of many smart phone users (certainly not all) to to be rude, a bit ignorant and not unlike a the proverbial horse wearing of the blinders. It must be some sort of "instant gratification" thing.

Geocaching was designed around use of a GPS device. It still functions in the same manner. Make the find, go home and log online. Now, along comes the smart phone, along with the smart phones come new geocachers that simply don't think about non-smart phone users -- Yes, there are a lot of people that don't have, don't need, don't want, or cannot use (for one reason or another) a smart phone. Still there are others that have a smart phone, but trust or rely mostly on their GPSr unit for finding (and certainly for hiding) geocaches. They still need to get home (?) to log. Persons on holiday, vacation or trying to make connecting flights at various airports apparently are lazy, and need to get off their duff, according to some. Bull-Pucky!

Sorry if it offends, but I view most of those highlighted remarks in the above post as being just a bit (only slightly) "me", "Me", "ME".

Please remember, geocaching is a community activity. It requires a give-and-take attitude. Not an attitude centered around me, myself and I!

Again, emphasis added. Helps if you read the whole thing.

This is not a smartphone/non-smartphone issue. I have both an old GPSr and a smartphone and use both. Your suggestion that my caching methods are, in any way, disrespectful of the community or the system is poppycock. I sign every log, thoughtfully compose my log entries on the site, leave detailed log entries, take pictures (both for the cache and the TBs), actually move TBs in their intended direction (in a timely fashion), CITO, note maintenance issues, perform cache maintenance (replace logs, baggies, etc.) as needed, and so on. How about reading through some of my logs or reviewing some of my activity before you leap to a conclusion based on a stereotype?

Accumulating found logs and entering them in a leisurely fashion is a non-issue. Failing to log trackables in a timely fashion, however, is rude and disrespectful to the trackables owner and other geocachers. The status of a trackable on the site should, as near as reasonably possible, reflect the status of the trackable in the real world. It's as simple as that. A 24-hour period within which to log the drop (or retrieval, for that matter) is reasonable. Absent exigent circumstances, longer than that is not as the rest of the community is relying on the accuracy of the information (unlike "found it" logs).

BTW, we're in agreement on one thing; this IS a community activity. As such, it requires the people in that community to act responsibly for the benefit of the community. For some inexplicable reason, though, you've concluded that failing to timely log trackables is responsible activity and that expecting others to be responsible community actors is selfish. The foolishness of that, I should hope, is readily apparent.

Edited by mattvandyk

I guess this turns into a skunk-to-skunk match, eh?

Nowhere in ANY of my posts (ever!) will you find a reference indicating lackadaisical posting (trackables or otherwise) is acceptable, quite the contrary in fact.

I shall re-state for you, it was your 24-hour waiting period that you would wait then you profess to "not hold up the show" and log it! Others, on the other hand (we are included) email the last holder to see if bychance they simply forgot to log it. We have done that many times and it usually works out very well. We feel that holding for a week isn't hardly a big deal as it is pretty easy to backdate, and we can drop it the next day w/o causing ANYONE undue duress. In fairness to the owner, we prefer the best tracking record possible, "grabbing and running" hardly accomplishes that, wouldn't you say?

Perhaps I read your attitude wrong, if so, please accept my apology. But that is the way I read what you had submitted -- the typed word doesn't seem to have the capability of placed inflections.

We have, on more than a couple of occasions, picked up trackables that have been placed by people traveling. Sometimes (you just never know) their travels can keep them away from a terminal for a week or so -- it happens. To simply pass it off as "that's their problem" just plain reeks as an attitude. We do have a solution (in reversal) that works for us. In fact, it is posted previously in this particular thread. Not many have utilized it, but the concept is simple and to date, it has worked like a charm (having noticed cache logs referring to the "note" -- later the travelers logged w/o any problems).

Just to be sure, I would would agree that lazy logging of trackables (not so much caches) is reprehensible and rude in the nth degree, but to jump to the assumption that is what the other cacher is doing, in itself is somewhat rude.

----chasing the skunks back into the woods..........

Whilst I agree that trackables should be logged correctly at the earliest suitable opportunity (ideally within 24 hours) I appreciate that this is not a realistic goal for every cacher for the reasons given by B&R and Gitchee-Gummee above.

We have often collected a trackable from a cache, then returned home and discovered that it's not yet been dropped off by the previous cacher. What to do? Well, we certainly don't start a mental stopwatch ticking off 24 hours, while tapping our fingers in irritation on the computer table...

We just drop it into our trackables box on the table with the casual thought, "That one can wait a bit...", then reassess the situation a few days, or maybe even a week ( :o ) later. Then proceed according to what seems most suitable in the varying circumstances.

I vote (and have always voted) for the "give people some time" principle. It's the polite thing to do, by our books.

MrsB

I appreciate people waiting too.

However, if you log a Retrieve on a bug, take it somewhere, post photos and tell stories, then place it in another cache, - and the next finder Grabs it away from you, the only thing you didn't get to do is select "Dropped Off" when you logged the cache.

Hopefully the cacher did a Drop and Retrieve after they Grabbed it but all that story telling and photo posting isn't available to add when you do a Drop on a Found it. You have to re-access the regardless of when you post.

You just missed out on the final step. Definitely frustrating, but not the end of the world.

--Matt

P.S. You can log the photos with a Note. Also, can't you go back and add pics to your visited logs for the places it went with you before you dropped it?

Edited for tone after seeing the context: http://coord.info/TB1FA3C

I like to keep my Found It logs in the order that they occur. If I'm behind on my logging, I'll at least take a few moments to post a note and drop the trackables.

I was FTF on a cache once, where I dropped a coin, drove home to log it and discovered the STF had already grabbed the coin from me. I was not happy about that.

Edited by Don_J

--Matt

I'll throw in another 3 cents and make it a nickle. I have a cell phone. It makes and receives phone calls, That's it. "Online" to me means sitting at my desk at home in front of my computer.