garmin dakota 20 problem

Unless you set the unit to lock on road it will show you off a little bit. No road maps are perfect hence the reason you are showing off. Most road units are preset to lock on road. The hand held units generally are not. If you want to set it to lock on road go to settings, routing and select lock on road from the menu. Personally I would leave it not locked as the unit is more accurate for geocaching and other purposes.

so every time i use my Garmin Dakota 20 my gps shows me about 100 feet off any road i am on. is it a normal thing for peoples gps maps not to match up with the satellite?

You will only get on the road if you use the City Nav maps really, all the base and topos are just not geared for that and will normally not match up.

You will only get on the road if you use the City Nav maps really, all the base and topos are just not geared for that and will normally not match up.

FWIW, the City Navigator maps don't match up any better where the mapping data is off, and NavTeq isn't in any better alignment in some places than the other couple of mapping companies (e.g., TeleAtlas). Only the road-snap feature prevents the screen from displaying off-road adventures that aren't actually taking place. Any vector map should display a road position (within limits of sanity) as opposed to an off-road situation in Automotive mode.

I'm curious - since the Garmin 24K topo maps are now truly routable, does this mean that they've got the vector data embedded along with the raster topo data? Those might be fine in automotive mode, too. I've never tried street navigation with the newer Garmin 24K topo product.