Geo Containers at Walmart

Riptyd

I consider them expensive relative to their useful life.

Tried one, the gasket got a bit sticky (probably organic growth in the heat and humidity) and would pull out of its groove, trying to remain attached to the lid on opening. This stretched the gasket, so it wasn't water tight very long. Then one of the latches failed.

In a less humid environment, the gasket may remain seated. The latch failure would probably depend on number of finds, coordination of finders, and sheer dumb luck.

Lately, Walmart has become my geocache headquarters. I buy waterproof matches containers (about $1), Lock & Locks, and camo duct tape

I perfer camo hockey tape from Canada Tire. Less reflective.

of which they have a pretty good variety. The only thing lacking (here in Toronto, anyway) is a decent selection of GPS handhelds and accessories.

They also don't have ammo cans.

These are similar to the other "waterproof" containers that Wal-Mart started selling about two or three years ago. Same clasp, same gasket. I have two of the older containers in two different sizes and I've never put them out as caches but the degredation of the gasket in one has me a little concerned. It's not the thick kind of rubber that you'd find in an ammo can, but a white "squishier" kind of rubbery-plastic stuff.

I have found two of these older containers as caches in the wild. I just looked them up to see how they were doing...

Cache A: Hidden 07/09/2008 with 114 finds. It was hanging in a tree when I was FTF. No mentions of leaks or maintenance.

Cache B: Hidden 11/10/2008 with 41 finds, one temp disable (and re-enable). Also hanging from a tree when I found it in October of 2009. No mentions of leaks. Local critters had chewed on it when I found it and it looks like it was disabled and replaced with the same container due to holes caused by the critters.

So it seems that they can work for some folks at least.

Edited by Castle Mischief