Editing a post

Markwell

WHAT?!?

quote:
This forum only allows posts to be edited within 60 minutes of the post.

I understand Kerry's problem with the login and old posts being inherited, but most of the time I notice poor spelling after I've gone away from the forums and returned to them.

I guess I'll have to write all my posts in word (with the tilted apostrophe and smart quotes off) before posting here.

Markwell

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

WHAT?!?

This is easy to adjust. Is there a value you think is more reasonable? I'm still learning all the options with the new forums and this is certainly something that can be tweeked.

-Elias

Elias,

Thanks for being willing to discuss this item. I would personally like to request that edits/deletes of posts by their creators be implemented as it was in the old forums; no limit at all.

I can't think of a valid reason to prevent the creator of a post from being allowed to edit their content, or even delete the post. I'm very willing to hear reasons you may wish to do this, but at present my request is for no time limit at all.

Thanks for your work on the forums!

Member:

banner-small.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team CacheCows of Wisconsin:

I would personally like to request that edits/deletes of posts by their creators be implemented as it was in the old forums; no limit at all.

I second that! Besides the reasons listed above, in some cases (like this one, for example), it's handy for future readers if I can update the first post to include the information shared by people along the way...it summarizes the information, and saves people from having to scroll through the entire thread to glean the information they're looking for.

quote:
Originally posted by Elias:

This is easy to adjust. Is there a value you think is more reasonable? I'm still learning all the options with the new forums and this is certainly something that can be tweeked.

-Elias

Elias,

Why not post a poll as a new topic? And please include "no time limit" as one of the options, because that would be my choice as well.

Thanks.

Worldtraveler

quote:

I can't think of a valid reason to prevent the creator of a post from being allowed to edit their content, or even delete the post. I'm very willing to hear reasons you may wish to do this, but at present my request is for no time limit at all.

I believe the intended purpose of that function is to prevent a user from maliciously defacing their previous posts in reponse to *something*.

But I agree that there are far more positive reasons to allow editing of posts so I've disabled the time restriction. icon_smile.gif

-Elias

quote:

I believe the intended purpose of that function is to prevent a user from maliciously defacing their previous posts in reponse to *something*.

But I agree that there are far more positive reasons to allow editing of posts so I've disabled the time restriction. icon_smile.gif

-Elias

The current forums do not indicate that the message was edited, hence it looks like the original post. As you said, someone could edit it and make it look like they didn't say anything bad, when in fact they said something inflammatory.

Why not add the feature that when a post is edited, it date stamps it as being edited. In the old forums, we at least knew that this wasn't the original post.

Markwell

quote:

The current forums do not indicate that the message was edited, hence it looks like the original post. As you said, someone could edit it and make it look like they didn't say anything bad, when in fact they said something inflammatory.

I'll have to do some more testing, but I believe that they do stamp the message after a certain amount of time. I think there's a "grace period" where you can freely edit your post after its been made so you can make minor corrections in case of type-os.

I'll post here again when I find out some more info.

-Elias

(test edit)

[This message was edited by Elias on March 10, 2002 at 01:16 PM.]

quote:

The current forums do not indicate that the message was edited, hence it looks like the original post.

I just modified my post above and it did add the modified text like the old forums so I think there is some kind of a "grace" period. If you think this isn't happening on all posts let me know and I'll look into it more closely.

-Elias

Am I the only one that likes the thought of no editing? The grace period to correct typos and such makes sense, but I think if you feel differently about something later, then make a new post. It's way easier to follow the flow then.

This is *in no way* a crusade to change how it is currently, I'm just wondering if anybody else gets slightly annoyed to come across a *juicy* (lol) thread that is filled with [this post has been edited]. Makes me feel like I missed the party, yo!

Brenna

Bump On A Log

I guess it all comes down to what you do in practice. 99% of the time, I only change my post from an editing purpose (poor spelling or formatting) not for a change in views. As you said, if someone changed my mind on a topic, you'd want to know that, too. Kind of like admitting you were wrong. I'm not afraid to do that, so I'll post subsequently.

That's why I have so many posts icon_biggrin.gif

Markwell

I guess it all comes down to what you do in practice. 99% of the time, I only change my post from an editing purpose (poor spelling or formatting) not for a change in views. As you said, if someone changed my mind on a topic, you'd want to know that, too. Kind of like admitting you were wrong. I'm not afraid to do that, so I'll post subsequently.

That's why I have so many posts icon_biggrin.gif

Markwell