'Cursing' in forums

Divine

In this message written in Finnish the author used the inessive case of the word Lappi (Lapland in Finnish). Part of it got censored, because within the word there are four letters that form an obscene English word for urine. There are also other Finnish words that can form the same word when declinated into the inessive case. Not to mention other cuss words that can come out in forum languages other than English.

This is rather funny IMO, but could something to be done to this? For example when the cuss word is within another word, that is when there are letters right before and/or after the presumed cuss word, it would be treated as a 'normal' word? Then again, there are always words than have the same spelling, but different meanings in different languages. For example suck means sigh, and sex = six in Swedish...

It's funny to think that someone has actually sat down and given a deep thought about what are the words that must be censored in the forums. 'Hmm...should I censor rod... nah, cachers might need that word in decent way too....'icon_biggrin.gif

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

quote:
Originally posted by Divine:

It's funny to think that someone has actually sat down and given a deep thought about what are the words that must be censored in the forums.

Don't worry, there was no "deep thought" as to what words go on that list. There are exactly 6 words on that list, you found one of them, the other five are pretty obvious.

quote:
This is rather funny IMO, but could something to be done to this? For example when the cuss word is within another word, that is when there are letters right before and/or after the presumed cuss word, it would be treated as a 'normal' word?
Yes, this can be done and I've marked that particular word that way. I obviously can't do that for some of the other ones, but it seems to make sense in this case.

frog.gif Elias

Cute. I'm going to go ahead and close this topic to prevent it from going downhill really fast. icon_biggrin.gif

However, I think the original post was certainly valid, so if there are any other concerns or questions about this, please e-mail me at admin at Groundspeak and I'll be happy to address them.

frog.gif Elias