Things I've Lost

keithj999

I don't post very often, but my new Garmin came today. I've been without a gps for about 10 days. On April 3rd in Bethlehem PA I did Beer Run GC27CRJ. A nice little micro I took back to the hood of my car to sign the log. Put the GPS on the hood next to the windshield, signed the log and replaced the cache and headed home. Was very pleased with myself as I had found 16 caches that morning and would be home before 11 am. As I packing for a trip to Delaware I realize I can't find my gps. If any one hears of someone finding a Garmin 60CSx but I'm not holding out much hope. Which lead me to make this post, besides the Garmin, I've lost a Blackberry, a Cell Phone, a Monocular, two Walking Sticks, Flashlights, and too many pens to even count. I have no one to blame but myself and have been fortunate in that some of my lost items have turned up, but I was wondering how common this is.

Batteries. I think that's about it. Oh, and PDA styluses, several of them, when I was still caching with a PDA.

I had the same problem, but someone told me of a simple way to remember where you put someting . When you lay anything down, just take two seconds to make a mental note of where it is. sounds silly, but it works.

Batteries. I think that's about it. Oh, and PDA styluses, several of them, when I was still caching with a PDA.

I had the same problem, but someone told me of a simple way to remember where you put someting . When you lay anything down, just take two seconds to make a mental note of where it is. sounds silly, but it works.

Well, that's not how I lost my stuff :P It just fell out of my pockets, or out of the PDA in that case, without me noticing. I never lost anything by forgetting where it was or forgetting to pick it up.

my marbles

my temper

my mind

my patience

my cool

my composure

my focus

I have gotten most of them back

LOL, I was going to say something along those lines too!

I've lost two Palm Pilot PDA's, a BlackBerry and a set of keys, and most unfortunately several travel bugs.

Some of the things I've found are a GPS and another cachers heart medication. I was able to return both the same day.

I don't post very often, but my new Garmin came today. I've been without a gps for about 10 days. On April 3rd in Bethlehem PA I did Beer Run GC27CRJ. A nice little micro I took back to the hood of my car to sign the log. Put the GPS on the hood next to the windshield, signed the log and replaced the cache and headed home. Was very pleased with myself as I had found 16 caches that morning and would be home before 11 am. As I packing for a trip to Delaware I realize I can't find my gps. If any one hears of someone finding a Garmin 60CSx but I'm not holding out much hope. Which lead me to make this post, besides the Garmin, I've lost a Blackberry, a Cell Phone, a Monocular, two Walking Sticks, Flashlights, and too many pens to even count. I have no one to blame but myself and have been fortunate in that some of my lost items have turned up, but I was wondering how common this is.

I know how you feel...Just a few days ago I was sitting at my computer and realized my Garmin 60csx wasn't in its normal spot...freaked out, and started looking EVERYWHERE (literally) but couldn't come up with it. Then I realized I probably lost it somewhere near REI while I was signing the log for a cache nearby...so I posted a note for the cache reporting a missing GPS but people came up empty handed. Then I thought it was inside the house, looked everywhere again, the car, under the carpet, even called a carpenter to smash my house walls if a possum stole the GPS! (kidding about the last one :laughing: )

Anyway I am pretty bummed out...Hope I can find it b4 saturday...

I've learned to 'tether' the important things like the gps and camera. I've lost my gps about 5 times and just dumb luck that I got it back each time. I have a GC.COM lanyard attached to the gps that I loop around a belt loop, this way I'm forced to clip it back onto the belt clip instead of setting it down. Even if it falls off the belt clip it's still stuck to me. My camera case fell off once too and I didn't realize it until a half mile later. :huh: That's now got a tether also. Sorry to hear about losing your trusty old 60.

Not sure why I couldn't come up with this one. Searched for a good while, even after my batteries died, but didn't find it. Found someone's brown glove right where I expected it to be though. Ah well.

Ah! Is THAT where I lost my glove! After two months out in the woods, it's probably bad now. Oh, well. But, now I know.

but I was wondering how common this is.

So far, I'm down one maglite and one pen. That's it, after five years of caching. I hope I'm not jinxing things now :).

What I found .. well .. is mainly CITO material, surprising how many cachers still seem to be dropping spent GPS batteries in the woods. The low point was a dead dog, out in the Nevada desert, that someone had dumped smack dab on top of a cache. What made matters worse is that there were scratch marks that suggested that the mutt had been alive when dumped, and had actually died there :mad:

-wesi

Pockets, cases help to avoid losing stuff. I mark the find in the unit upon spotting, then gps goes to pocket. No laying it down. Return it to case and clip to sternum strap camera also get clipped to sternum strap. Both items are right in front of you at all times.

Found a set of hiking sticks at a cache,returned them to owner by mail, never heard a word from him. Remembered thinking you must have known you hiked in with sticks.........

Several years ago I inadvertently left my folding cane/hiking pole/poking device at a cache in Indiana while I was there on a business trip from Georgia. The spouse of the next visitor to the cache thought it was a trade item and took it home. To make a long story short, they shipped it back to me - and I still use it.

We were in Jersey, hitting a Harry Dolphin cache the next day after KeithJ posted he lost his blackberry in his log.

We called repeatedly while zig-zagging the forest, hoping to hear a ring - nada.

Three times I've had to backtrack some considerable mileage to retrieve my hiking stick that was stuck in the ground, inches from gz, like a beacon pointing to the cache.

I left a compass on a rock near a cache long ago and the next finder mailed back to me. I've left my favorite walking stick twice.. once in the woods between the cache and a trail and once in a Gamelands parking lot. Both times it was right where I'd left it when I returned the next day to pick it up. Permanent losses have been limited to pens. I guess the less you carry the less there is to lose.

PS: Reading other posts reminded of losing a favorite flashlight. I'd done a cache by moonlight but took the light just I needed it. A couple days later I realized it was gone. About a year later I found it. Somehow it had fallen through a small hole in the floor of the car trunk and was nestled under the spare tire. duh.....

Edited by edscott

I lost my old Garmin eTrex Camo up in New Hampshire. Funny story behind it, I was driving around the white mountains looking for caches with my then girlfriend, now fiancee. I was listening to the radio and singing along using the GPSr as a microphone. My fiancee has a great video of it. Anyways we stopped to see a moose, since my fiancee had never seen one. I placed the GPS on the trunk while we were taking pictures. After about ten minutes we got going back to my grandfather's cabin. I didnt realize I had lost the gpsr until I was over 50 miles away. I called it a complete loss since I didn't know exactly where it fell off the car, but it was lost forever.

I lost my Garmin Legend HCX after leaving it on the trunk of my car after a nice caching day in the Adirondacks. Didn't realize it was gone until I got a call from the park worker who found it on the side of the road. It definately was a good idea to change the welcome screen to include my name and phone #'s.

I quit buying Write in the Rain pens which I got addicted to {soooo nice to sign a log with!!) because I kept losing them...and they aren't cheap! Gloves....at lest 10 pair...you have to take the darn things off to sign the log...and several pair of reading glasses needed to either sign the log or read the GPS...they come on and off my face often...but they aren't a worry since they are the $1.00 a pair variety, but just as I get a favorite pair they get lost!! There is a positive to these lost items...I can't tell you how many caches I have found by finding other cacher's things left behind right near the cache...oohhh...there it is!!

I've lost my GPS in -20 weather and only notice when we got back home. Luckily we decide to go back even if it was now colder and dark out, found it - it had fallen out of my pocket on a snowmachine trail so good thing we retuned. Also lost a favorite sweater, many pens and pencils. I also now tether everything and use garments with better pockets. :rolleyes: