Accidentally break somebodys Cache container?

If you accidentally broke somebody's cache container - placing a heavy stone back over it, breaking a lock tab off it... whatever

would you admit to the owner in your log you had done it?

would you privately email the owner explaining?

Would you replace the container?

Would you just quietly leave it to go soggy and the contents get ruined?

If you accidentally broke somebody's cache container - placing a heavy stone back over it, breaking a lock tab off it... whatever

Yes

Yes

No (but we did give him the money to replace it)

No !

But then we do know the owner of the cache we "broke" and it's a good one - caching karma and all that ;-)

LinseyG

YES!

YES!

If I was in the position to do that or

I would send money to replace it.

Seems very obvious to me....but others have not been quite so forthcoming.

I had the metal lid of a large cache containder in my yard either stepped on or kneeled on. The somewhat large lid was dented in and the metal plate attached to it was broken off. No one admitted to anything.

I unbent the lid and superglued the placque....no harm done except for someone hid a mistake (purely innocent mistake I am sure).

I would have no problems including reference in my log that i broke the container; I would also email the CO directly to explain the circumstances (it may help them alter so that the next one doesnt suffer the same fate); I would also offer to arrange a replacement (assuming it's something relatively common, most of which i have a few of sitting around anyway).

I would not just walk away.

Ive been on the other end of this - ive had my caches get damaged by people unknown and have had two lost by cachers who admitted it (one was right after an event i hosted, he came back to tell me in person), the other included a log that said "cache lost" - and emailed me privately to say he dropped it & it rolled across a fenceline and couldnt be retrieved.

I prefer knowing. I dont really expect anyone to offer to pay for damage - after all, i consider my caches "lost to me" as soon as i place them; if they last, great, but if they dont, i'm not attached and wont usually cry...

Same as all the other answers really - yes, yes, it depends, no.

But I think it would be a fair bet that most of those who care to respond to your question would answer much the same - those who are either too careless or too embarrased to mention it on the cache page or to the owner are also much less likely to behave differently and talk about it here :lol:

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

It was one of those fragile plastic food containers, hidden among some rocks. I stepped on the rock it was hidden under, and heard the "CRUNCH". I didn't replace it because I didn't feel that this was actually my fault.

Yes, yes, no and no.

Yes

Yes and log a needs maintenance

I would offer to replace/refund

NO !!!

Yes - managed to loose a lid to strong winds! :anicute:

I emailed the owner but also posted in my log (I was FTF and clearly a whole stream of cachers would soon notice and comment!)

Offered to replace it, but owner was very understanding and he replaced it himself.

No!

But I think it would be a fair bet that most of those who care to respond to your question would answer much the same - those who are either too careless or too embarrased to mention it on the cache page or to the owner are also much less likely to behave differently and talk about it here :lol:

Hmmm, re-read it, yep was a daft question really.

Was having a day of going through my caches that need sorting now (hopefully) the weather is improving.

No I don't expect people to replace or pay for a new box, was just a bit peeved that people can't be honest and admit they broke them so that they can be fixed before they do turn to mush. (I was referring to the good quality lock boxes of a decent size here)

Those tiny 3 for 99p drive-by lock boxes are hit and miss if they work, takeaway containers get what they deserve, micros/nanos fall apart.

OK will go back to my maintenance lists and shut up now ............

If I broke something I'd let the owner know, probably via a needs maintenance log and maybe a private message with a few more details. If it were something that was my own carelessness I'd consider making amends; if it were something I considered to be down to bad design I wouldn't. If it was a cache positioned in an area where fumbling and dropping it in the river was a distinct possibility then I'd let them know I dropped it but wouldn't expect to fund a replacement.

A new cache within 10 miles of me has been placed that has a glass container under a rock - would you bother replacing that?

:ph34r: I'd be tempted to let the reviewer that published the cache know... <_<

Just checked it out and it had been disabled by the reviewer already. It's now been reinstated with a proper container - thank goodness.

I recently (21 March 11) found a cache box that was already cracked, not surprisingly as it was a take away food box, so I mentioned that in my post. Possibly, it had been cracked by a previous finder who had replaced it and hidden with stones / bricks, as before, thus cracking it without realising. Still, using a flimsy box in a rocky location seemed even more unwise than when hidden in a tree or under sticks, for example. http://coord.info/GC2KKAT No evidence of any action by cache owner yet, although cracked bottom hasn't been mentioned by subsequent finders.

Edited by Copepod

Many of the cache containers we found in Australia were glass Kilner jars. As most of them were in forests there weren't many rocks about to drop on them. Almost no plastic clip-lock boxes as the local wildlife chews them apart in days. I guess you've got to use a appropriate container for the location.

If we did ever break a cache container we'd either replace it or offer to buy the replacement. (apart from takeaway containers)

Soggy caches are no good for anyone!

Many of the cache containers we found in Australia were glass Kilner jars. As most of them were in forests there weren't many rocks about to drop on them. Almost no plastic clip-lock boxes as the local wildlife chews them apart in days. I guess you've got to use a appropriate container for the location.

If we did ever break a cache container we'd either replace it or offer to buy the replacement. (apart from takeaway containers)

glass, sun, forest fires - not very clever?

glass, sun, forest fires - not very clever?

They don't seem to have a problem with it. Most of the caches we got were hidden deep in the rainforest. Little or no sunlight penetrated to the forest floor. I guess if it was an issue they wouldn't do it.

The biggest problem was the leeches that wanted to attach themselves at every opportunity.

Luckily we didn't break any of the kilner jars.... But if we had we would have replaced it. (and cleaned up the mess.) ;)

I didn't actually break it.. i threw it away cause it didn't look like a geocache. After it was replaced, and i found it again it was more identified as a geocache. The first one was something I thought a kid or someone had placed. The second one was very similar but caught my eye the second time. The cache won't last long.

I didn't tell anyone but my wife.

Yes, Yes, Yes, No

Last weekend i actually grabbed a micro, whilst retrieving it from its hiding place on the edge of a bridge by a motorway embankment, i scratched the back of my hand on some newly growing bramble. I didn't have a proper hold of the pot and dropped it. I watch as it rolled down and under the concrete bridge. I couldn't see it for love nor money. (Looked like a rabbit hole)

I replaced the cache with one of my own, and logged it as found, and admitted what had happened and that i had replaced it. And offered my apologies to the CO. To me its the only right thing to do :smile:

Would you admit to the owner in your log you had done it? - Yes, and have done in the past.

Would you privately email the owner explaining? - Only if there was more to say than what I put in the log. I'd explain the hows and whys of it and apologise there, where it would also act as a warning for future finders, and keep any possible finger of blame off previous ones.

Would you replace the container? - If it was local, then yes. If it wasn't and I didn't have something suitable with me, then no. It tends to happen when inappropriate containers are used in inappropriate locations or under inappropriate cover. In those circumstances, it would only be a matter of time before the container failed and I can't wear the whole blame for being the unlucky one the box broke on. The owner might just think about upgrading to something more suitable- more robust.

Would you just quietly leave it to go soggy and the contents get ruined? - Nope. I've dropped and lost some caches when replacing them too and always put my hands up. I'm careful, but no one's perfect. I try not to make a habit of braking or losing caches though. :ph34r:

Edited by Simply Paul

What Simply Paul said. I did the same. Coughed to losing the micro in the log. Sent a further email offering my details, explained I wouldn't be replacing the cache as I didn't live nearby but offered the funds and more, profuse, apologies. Went back for another look in daylight and met the CO who was jolly nice to me and seemed to find my embarrassment very amusing!

Bottom line is, you treat people as you would like to be treated, and we all know accidents happen.

Yes

Yes

Yes

No

Although it was not a breakage, whilst trying to get a cache out of giant tree stump it fell down a rabbit hole! This was a large tupperware container but the harder we tried to get it out the more it fell down the hole.

We pm'ed the C.O. immediately with the story and got no reply. Later investigations indicated the owner had moved out of the area and seemed a little inactive. We posted a log explaining the situation and hoped someone would read and take some equipment to help get it out.

Over the next couple of weeks we managed to purchase a rubbish picker tool and with a lot of difficulty got it out. Took the cache home, cleaned it up and then found a new placement for it nearby as the old hiding place was beyond use.

We thought this was the best way to do it as it would be such a same for a cache that has a 8 year history to be archived. I guess we feel like surrogate cache owners now as we keep an eye on it.

just on the friday past there, was grabbing some FTF on caches launched that day and on the last one, closing the final "lock" on the tub it snapped clean off in my hands.

I went as far as noting my fail on the log online and also emailed the CO seperately offering to either replace in a couple of weeks when back in the area or to send funds to cover replacement and have received nothing back...

just on the friday past there, was grabbing some FTF on caches launched that day and on the last one, closing the final "lock" on the tub it snapped clean off in my hands.

I've noticed that the locking tabs on some of my more popular traditional caches are showing signs of wear and starting to crack along the 'hinge'. I have to admit, they were relatively cheap boxes from a supermarket. Maybe I should have invested in some better quality ones

:(

I went as far as noting my fail on the log online and also emailed the CO seperately offering to either replace in a couple of weeks when back in the area or to send funds to cover replacement and have received nothing back...

Hi dgw,

Yes those caches were launched ready for the event just a few metres from that cache.

Because they were for the event It needed replacing straight away, so I dashed up early and replaced it and put a note on the page to that effect immediately after yours.

It was a holiday weekend and I know the cache owner went away. It is possible he is still away (its only been 4 days since your post,) or it is possible that he assumed it was all sorted due to my log.

Apologies I did not email you explaining I had already replaced it, assumed my online log was sufficient?

My fault!

Ah-ha, thank you. I also did something else in my haste. I normally "watch" caches and tb and coins I find until a few others find them the ensure that I didnt alert a muggle. Forgot to do this and assumed nobody had posted anything. Assumption: what can I say?

Were they placed for the "slugs, slaters...." day? If so, glad I took the kids and left plenty of them for others to get some FTF!

Also, would you like to be reimbursed?

Ah-ha, thank you. I also did something else in my haste. I normally "watch" caches and tb and coins I find until a few others find them the ensure that I didnt alert a muggle. Forgot to do this and assumed nobody had posted anything. Assumption: what can I say?

Were they placed for the "slugs, slaters...." day? If so, glad I took the kids and left plenty of them for others to get some FTF!

Also, would you like to be reimbursed?

Yes there were loads set, so plenty for people to FTF.

No thats fine thanks, always have spares, its my thanks to cache owners for hiding their boxes in the first place.

I just started this thread really to alert people to the fact that if they report the problem straight away, it can be sorted, rather than leaving it and 6 months down the line a cacher finds a sorry mushy cache and gives a negative log when the owner was unaware there was a problem.

As in my log, tend to carry them myself and do repairs when necessary to keep the game going as smoothly as possible but that day for some silly reason I didnt. I bet thats even why it broke lol!

And I completely agree. Alerting the owner asap if you cant replace it is paramount and as shown in this example, putting it in the log allowed another cacher to make my amends :)

I had an experience recently where I was the third cacher to find a particular cache that was magnetic and at the top of a retaining wall of a river... the place where it was secured was not smooth and as I put it back I didn't get enough contact between the magnets and the metal and the cache dropped down and bounced straight over the 8ft drop into the water

would you admit to the owner in your log you had done it? - yes I did own up in the log and post a needs maintenance

would you privately email the owner explaining? - I didn't as I had explained what happened in my log, he contacted me and I did apologise and offer to reimburse - I owe him a pint at the next meet we both attend !

Would you replace the container? - Not for this cache because a) it was a magnetic container I don't have the parts to hand and B) the cache was so easily lost that it needed the cache owner to come up with a way to stop it happening again

Would you just quietly leave it to go soggy and the contents get ruined? - at the bottom of the river it was already too late for that !