Mouse-Over Bolding of links Topic

ju66l3r

Thought I'd help sort some of the "nearest link" discussion with this thread. Add on your opinions of the Bolding of the text when you mouse-over the text links.

My personal opinion: Blue = Great; Bolding = Bad.

The bolding can respace the entire page width (while the mouse is over the link) and everything shifts around. The "from home coordinate" link even adds a new line vertically and...well, I think you should take the bolding away. But definitely keep the blue instead of reddish color.

Yeah. It sucks. I'll be changing the bolding tomorrow. Color suggestions for highlighted text, anyone?

I went back and forth with the underlining, but felt that it should be there. It's nice to know what is a link and what isn't.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

Yeah. It sucks. I'll be changing the bolding tomorrow. Color suggestions for highlighted text, anyone?

I went back and forth with the underlining, but felt that it should be there. It's nice to know what is a link and what isn't.

You mean the new idea is that when you mouse over a link, it'll change color rather than go boldface? I think it's sufficient that a link is obviously a link, due to color and underlining; it doesn't need to do something visible when you mouse over it. The mouse-hover-bolding thing was making my browser choke earlier, so I'm a little dubious about any hover stuff that's not functionally necessary.

If I still get a vote, I say go with a slightly darker blue. I also like the gray of the followed-link text. These pretty links are making the green background look a little too bright, though, maybe you should tone it down a shade.... er, it's time to duck and cover, right?

(I may be completely misinterpreting what you mean by 'highlighted text' in this context, too.)

I went with an orange. It makes the link sort of light up when your mouse hovers over it.

Although we could get rid of the hover color altogether, having a tactile response to a hover is good User Interface. Unfortunately I'm a jack of all trades, master of none, so I need some prompting at times when it comes to design. CSS is also a new concept for me.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Well, I dont know if different browsers do different things, but my pointer changes from a little arrow to a little hand with a finger pointed out when i mouse over something that;s clickable. That seemed sufficient to me, but I guess if it's not over-complicating things, the color-changing is pretty nifty. I try not to fix things that aren't broke (but then I don't know what goes on at the other end of this website...I'm just a happy, ignorant end-user) and the changes you're making are very nice and I'm very appreciative. I wish I could offer to help...I do still owe you that pizza icon_wink.gif

-pizzachef